Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what would you pay for these halibrand wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snopeks garage, Nov 13, 2015.

1. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

20151113_144142.jpg 20151113_144157.jpg 20151113_144245.jpg 20151113_144207.jpg 20151113_144237.jpg I may have the opportunity to make a offer on these wheels and or the old ratty dune buggy there mounted to. What would you value them at? They are in nice shape. I haven't got a chance to measure the bolt pattern because I randomly found them today. Fronts are 16 s backs 15 s. I would buy them just to sell and profit. the owner was not home so i left my phone # and hopefully he calls. What do you think? 20151113_144142.jpg

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I wouldn't offer anything until the tires were off to see the beads. Could be wall hangers.

3. indyjps

indyjps

Don't even mention the wheels, see if you can buy the whole buggy. If the price is too high then see if the wheels are available. I'm guessing it's an all or nothing deal, or gonna fix it someday.

volvobrynk and snopeks garage like this.
  4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I bet the rear are 5 1/2" pattern because the axle stub sticking out looks old Ford. The fronts look like a smaller diameter. Like maybe 4 3/4" or 4 1/2".

PM me if you get them bought. I'd be interested in them.

You need to take pics of the rest of the "dune buggy". I'd like to see what it looks like!

snopeks garage likes this.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Fronts for sure look like 4.5, good call on the rear pattern with the banjo hub sticking through.

black_dog41 and micamountain like this.
  6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those rears are Palamide brand. Those front 16" small windows are few and far between. If the beads are good I'd say between 1500.00 and 2000.00 on the fronts. The rears possibly 800.00 to a grand. Very cool in my book!

snopeks garage likes this.
  7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

If you are buying just to resell and profit... You should probably do your own homework ...,

Basically you are asking others to help you with your business venture for free

8. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Really? Good to know, thank you!

9. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Thank you for your opinion. You may be right.... I wasent able to see a stamping on the inside of the rear wheels at a fast glance

10. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I'm a broke hot rodder who needs funds for my 32 build. Buying/ selling cars and parts to do so is not my buisness adventure but a way of life.

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Join the crowd!

black_dog41 likes this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Good grief man cut the guy some slack. He's just trying to get a few $ for his own projects. Who put a burr under your saddle ? :D

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say you are missing a big part of what this place is about.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

x2

15. Yeah, buy the whole thing. I bet you can sell the carcass without wheels for more than you pay for it and get the wheels for free.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you sure the remains are 'dune buggy' and not an old drag car?

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My thoughts exactly. But I am wondering if those stubs sticking out the back of the rear wheels are not VW transaxles. That would make the bolt pattern odd. (wheel adapters possibly ?)

Don

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

If those guesses on the bolt pattern are correct, I have a gasser project that those wheel would be great on. It also sounds that you will price them out of my range. I agree buy the whole thing it maybe better priced than just the wheels. Good luck, Gary

19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If the rear was a VW, I would think you could see the brake drum through the windows.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I'm sick of the whats it worth threads... It's cool if you want something for your build and don't want to be burned... But not for guys whos purpose is to flip..

It's turned in to hey guys... I have no idea what this is... Can you identify it for me ,so I can put it on eBay and get the absolute most money I can for it....

It's like fast food , no education and can't make change ...but wanting 15 an hr

Everyone has their hands in the pot in between the seller and the guy who want to buy for a build... It drives the prices up for everyone

I knew some muscle car guys who kept asking values and buying and selling early ford stuff ... They couldn't give two shits about hot rods ... Just money ... I finally figured out it was counter productive

If a person wants to make the money fliping they should educate themselves on values

21. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

wonder if the owner is on the HAMB?

brianf and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. rooman

rooman

I am with thirtytwo on this one. I understand that the OP is looking to raise some funds for his own build but in that case he should do his own research. A lot of us on the HAMB would possibly be interested in those wheels but if he follows Bowie's guideline he will be pricing them in Greg Shelton territory and they will be out of the price range for most of us. At worst, put them on ebay and let the market determine the value. If he gets them cheap enough anything over his purchase price is pure profit that can go towards his build.

23. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Threads like this don't bother me, the people here just to flip parts become obvious in time. I've learned alot about different things and is one of the reasons I come on the hamb. I also buy sell to further my car projects

24. My experience says that those are not VW rears.

25. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

My plan was to buy them cheep and sell them on the hamb to someone who needs them not a parts horder or a hailbrand collector. Thanks for all the information guys!

26. slowmotion

slowmotion

And there's not a damn thing wrong with that plan.
    Buuuut......
    You're dangling the proverbial carrot here, asking in essence, "What'll ya give me...." to potential buyers.
    That's what gets the shorts in a wad for some guys. Can't buy & sell 'em at the same time.
    Those wheels are desirable, it's no secret. Do some research, put a price on 'em, list 'em in the classifieds, see what happens.
    Or put 'em on you-know-where, & let the games begin.
    Good luck.

27. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

The dune buggy looks fun too...
    I don't know where your located but around here a good dune buggy frame with no title will fetch a grand or more. If it were me talking with the owner I would keep focused on the frame and all together since he may not know the value of the wheels...
    I don't collect old wheels and wouldn't personally think they are worth what they are...
    But in the end something is worth what you can sell it for, period.
    I had a car I valued at $500, posted it for sale or trade and now have a truck I value at $3000... And he thinks he screwed me...
    Different values to different people.

28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I agree with Thirty-Two. And I too could use those for a project. But I don't want to be both the buyer and seller. That's why I only offered up some info the bolt pattern, not a value.

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It might not be vw, I just thought that he might have said dunebuggy because he saw a transaxle in there.

So, OP, what kind of running gear did you see ? You are a car guy, so you should have some idea of what it is made from.

Don

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. well , i might as well jump in too

my calibrated eyeball says the rear pattern looks smaller than 5-1/2" bolt circle...but i may be wrong

are those real magnesium wheels?

pictures of the dune buggy?

volvobrynk and Atwater Mike like this.