Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Got the car home today safe and sound my Dad was drooling all over it being the first time he has seen it in person. Going to tackle the body mounts first then move onto the motor and steering box mounts. If anyone has good pics of what they did for body mounts on the frame would love to see pics!

loudbang likes this.
  3. cmichael

cmichael

Subscribed! Have fun keep us updated!

4. Canuck

Canuck

Couple of suppliers I've dealt with and can recommend, sure there are lots of others:
    • George Moir, just over the hill from you in Stony Plain, AB. Quality Model A parts and service and knowledgeable people.
    • Welder Series, just a phone call away for brackets and suspension components, welded or unassembled. Paul and DW know their stuff and supply a nice product.
    • Old Car Center on your side of the hill for restoration parts and hot rod parts.
    Canuck

hipster likes this.
  5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks Canuck, I have chatted with old car Centre on a couple items I need but I will check out the others as well.

J & D likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Applicable threads Fitnessguy

Some interesting work here for body mounting help...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fitting-a-model-a-coupe-on-a-32-frame-my-way.996002/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-on-deuce-rails.440495/

7. boutlaw

boutlaw

Looks like awesome body, doesnt appear to need much at all, believe me that will save a ton of time/money.
    The HAMB was a vital part of my build, would never have finished without the support I received. BIG difference in building a hot rod and a muscle car IMO, but well worth the effort. Its your car, do it your way. Good Luck, Subscribed.....

8. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Boutlaw thanks for the nice words, yes I'm sure the build will be different from my camaro and I am looking forward to more freedom on this car vs the camaro. Been a dream of mine to have a rod. Was in the shop last night fiddling and looking over the car and it was a little surreal now that I actually have one and can build it to my taste! Can't wait to start building

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Spent yesterday fabbing up the front body mounts. Had to extend the bottom of the firewall to make room for the frame hole. Took our time and got everything lined up and fitting nicely. Still needs some cleanup and a little more welding on the inner bracket but you get the overall picture. Enjoyed the process and loved the new welder! IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0791.JPG IMG_0772.JPG

10. Bugguts

Bugguts

I'm jealous. I just helped a friend on his 30 coupe. His was chopped when he got it. I did all the body work and painted it last New Years Eve. He has been driving the wheels off it this year. Now I want one! Enjoy!

nunattax and CMFT like this.
  11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

the doors are really close yes. the passenger door needs to come up at the back a little which i am guessing will be achieved when shimming the body mounts at the cowl. if you have an opinion on that, feel free to share. we left room for adjustment when putting in place.

12. Sounds like you're on track....

13. norms30a

norms30a

Really nice car, going to be lots of fun. Just wondering were the original little brackets gone? I just raised mine up a little. Tons of A builds on here, lots of neat tricks on building an A to be found with a little searching. 68 006.JPG

Attached Files:

14. Survivor48

Survivor48

What part of BC are you in ?

15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes they had been cut out to make some provision to move forward so i continued on with that theme. they did come with the car in one of the parts bins and i had discussed with the previous owner. I trimmed them down as they had to move outwards to lineup with the new frame holes. bolted the trimmed piece in place and then cut out the new pieces to connect it up to the firewall and around from there. Turned out not too bad if i do say so myself. Didn't want it to look out of place so i think once i finish cleaning it up a guy would have to really stare at that area and know what he was looking at to notice the change.

norms30a likes this.
  16. I wouldn't reference any of the holes in the frame, they are stock 32...

17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Played around a little last night mocking up the motor. nothing too serious so far, just wanted to get a feel for firewall clearance and where everything is going to sit. The frame builder welded in the front cross member and inch and half farther forward to give some play room. The Tranny mount had room to locate more holes to bring it back a little. not sure about the relation of the one body crossmember and the tranny tail and if they are going to interfere if i do that. if any of you have any thoughts or experiences on this, chime in as this is my first crack at it. IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0812.JPG IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0819.JPG

18. badshifter

badshifter

Great start, but at this point you are required to remove the 700R4 and install a manual trans, of any type. Those Model A's work waaayyy better with sticks.......

Seriously. It's in the rule book. Somewhere.

19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

actually it's gonna be a 4l60 so there! :D i'm too lazy to shift gears.

nunattax, CapeCodBob and hipster like this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

got a few more parts sandblasted yesterday and got in one of the first new shiny parts! i know i will get grief from some guys for not finding original vintage gauges. I like new stuff, what can i say. give me original steel body but new parts so i know what i got. IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0796.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

nunattax and loudbang like this.
  21. Might want to mount the water pump and fan, then the radiator to see where all that is going to line up. Getting the fan high enough to actually cool is difficult in this application. Many use the riser to move the pump up. On my build the cross member was already welded in when I bought the project from another member. With the Olds I had to set it back a bit more to get the fan to have enough room to work. Ended up cutting the entire firewall out and making my own. I raised the engine up also a bit to get some more height on the Olds fan.

22. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes for sure. i am waiting for the rad and shell to arrive any day and will be doing that, this is just where i got to so far. getting a tail stock for the mock up tranny as well to see how it sits in relation to the body cross member. good to know on the riser, i have seen them before but didn't know that was the main purpose. taking my time, only want to do it once!

23. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

It is nice to see your excitement and commitment to this project. I'm with flamedabone and second the chop for a fenderless car.

hipster likes this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

i love a chopped car for sure and i am not against it, just want to take the project along without MAJOR changes for now. can always chop the car down the road. i am not going to throw a high dollar paint job on the car as i want to be able to drive it and not be paranoid and sticking with the older style build where they didn't do $20,000 paint jobs. I get bored easy anyways so if i leave it unchopped for now then it gives me something to do later. ha ha We will see what happens, i kinda like my builds to take a life of their own so ultimately the car will decide.

daddio211 likes this.
  25. I'm definitely on board with the stick guys!
    Post #44..... Nicely done!

26. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Is that a tach that Auto Meter still sells or is it a new "old" one?

27. Keep up the good work I'm right behind ya on my build. Boxing in the rails now. Then I suppose I'll start assembling the front and read suspensions.
    Pat

28. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

yes autometer sells it new. google autometer vintage tach and it will show up. i ordered the autometer oldtyme black gauge set with speedo for the rest of the gauges.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  29. Jeff34

Jeff34

X3. Hot Rods have 3 pedals...jus sayin

WTF really likes this.