Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stand By For The 1934 Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xderelict, Nov 11, 2015.

1. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

DSCN0077.JPG DSCN0006.JPG As some of you may know my 54 Belair burned to the ground on Labor Day. Thanks to all that helped me get back on the horse. I bought a rough 1934 Chevrolet Master, they're 5 window coupes. So now I got another build and that's good with me. DSCN0024.JPG DSCN0025.JPG

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Gathering GMC parts ???

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Wishing you the best on the 34!!

4. That's a great start, and tell us about the button? in top pic.
    That's very cool.

5. I agree Great Start I am glad to see you building again I'm looking forward to this Jim

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Good luck with the new build. Sorry for the loss of the '54.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Too bad about your 54 but really looking forward to the 34 build. Great to see another old Chevy get back on the road!

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. good find. whats the plan?

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I believe I was conceived in a Chevy. Open wheel with a bit of a competition feel, Sorry no GMC this time. I have a 327 that's fresh, a 4 speed transmission, 55 rear end and some other goodies in the pile. I don't have information on that button. When I was scanning the web it kept coming up in my searches. It wasn't a lot so I picked it up, just trying to keep up with the cool guys.

10. Looks like a good place to start. How well has the Wood survived? When I started the 34 Sedan project I didn't know I needed to be a Cabinet Builder.
    The Wizzard

nunattax likes this.
  11. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Not enough wood to interest a termite. I'm going to strengthen it with 3/4 and 1 inch square tube.
    I wish.

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  12. Good choice. I ended up doing a complete steel inner structure also. I just couldn't get my head around wood screws and nails in a Hot Rod.
    The Wizzard

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Yea a hotted up 302 would be the real deal in that old chebby wouldn't it. ;)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. don't poo-poo wood in a hot rod. when the wood is in good shape and all the joints are tight and it is wrapped in steel, you get one hell of a tough body. wood absorbs impact, noise and vibration. the doors and rumble lid close on my car with a solid thump and riding in it is quiet. of course, 80 years from now someone will say wood is no good. we always find the cars when the wood is rotted or loosened up, so it appears it is no good.
    not saying you shouldn't do it all in steel, it is cheaper and easier. i am just not convinced it is better.

gmc 302 yes! or 302 [327 with 283 crank] yes!

15. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

DSCN0074.JPG Bigs and littles. These rear wheels and tires are really big. 8:00 x 18 Firestone Indy tires.

16. Cool! Bowtie Brigade! ( learned that from you ;))

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. What are your plans for the motor?

18. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I have a fresh 327 that's built a bit. A 57 283 that's half way done and a 56 265 with 48,000 miles. I'm going to start with the 327. I'd like to end up with the 265. In a perfect world it would be a 302 GMC. Someone want to trade a 302 for these bent engines?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  19. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

We'll sneak a Ford part in there somewhere............:D:eek: This is gonna be killer!

20. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Got the 34 frame on the table.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  21. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Kicked the front rails up.

Attached Files:

22. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

New rear section added. This should sit low with a channeled body. The fronts kicked up 6" and the rear about a foot. I pinched the front 5 inches too.

Attached Files:

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That looks like a nice build, I love bowties!
    Is it knee action front end?

I can with all my heart recommend to swing by the best chevy thread: time for a cool change! It's from the very talented guy known as Ted or @tb33anda3rd. Its the coolest chevy rod in long time!

And despite it runs a SBC it runs the best SBC never made, the 301. The hot rodders stood farther to an engine, that eventually chevy has to make; the famous 1968 302.
    But as early recommended a Jimmy 6 302 would be bad ass.

I bet that the 1934 chevy be a perfect match for a set of Chevy AD 1949-55 pick up axles. They are good brakes, hydraulic to boot, 51-55 is better then the early ones, that are both better then what a 1934 had right of the bat. 1949 rear is torque tube.
    And should be the same bolt pattern.

And the got a damn good aftermarked backing.
    And the are superior to any ford transverse spring setup!

24. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Looking good Dick.

Jeff

25. I actually pictured the inline 302 when I wrote that o_O, yea yea I know a little out of character for the beaner isn't it. :D

Its funny a few years back (maybe a decade and a half?) we all decided that instead of replacing or freshening the wood that it was a better idea to build a steel frame for our old cars. I think it was just easier to work with something that we understood better than is was better.

Something to think about there is a British car called a Morgan, really nice looking sports car in my opinion. They to this day have a metal body over a wood frame. They are very well built cars, and one that I would not be ashamed to be seen motoring around in, even a late model one.

@xderelict I like where you are going with this. Gonna be one sweet ride.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. That's a lot of Frame work you've done there. I know you said Fenderless and Channeled and I really dig that. However I think your going to find your headed for way Below Low. This 34 has 5" of ground clearance at the running boards and 4" from top of axle housing to bottom of frame and the frame is not kicked at all. The floor pan is of stock profile. Looks to me you'll be able to lay frame or Body on ground with plenty of travel left in the suspension. WOW!
    The Wizzard P1010179.JPG Re floored Aug 2010 004.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

This Ford is a good example of what I'm setting it up for. The car is being built to scrub line which is LOW. Look at the front wheel in an earlier photo.

Attached Files:

28. I like that look. Have you seen my Roadster?
    The Wizzard

29. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Throw one up, I like looking at hotrods.

kidcampbell71 likes this.