Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Todays encounter at the Mn. DMV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Nov 10, 2015.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

In Minnesota - Don't buy a car without a title... todays Encounter at the DMV

Went to get my car, nearly finished, inspected in order to get title I built the car from scratch with no title just a bill of sale. Got to the DMV this morning No body wanted to talk to me,didn't have time or did,nt know what I was talking about, asked to talk to a supervisor, she blew me off.Asked to see the inspector that actually does the inpections,told he wasn't there . Inspections always done the 2nd Tues of ea.month at this center .They said the inspection part was separate from the DMV,Not affiliated whatsoever . I lost it, got mad and walked out. What the heck is going on?/ Doesn't the right hand know what the second hand is doing anymore. Litterly,every person I talked to today -even the ones that would talk about it did'nt had the same answer about titling my Model A. I wish I would have had a tape recorder with me..

Got all this time and money tied ,all pumped to start driving it and here I sit sulking with no title Gene

1927graham likes this.
  2. Wait a minute....you did a buttload of work on the car PRIOR to getting a proper title? Oops.

LOU WELLS and scotty t like this.
  3. blazedogs

blazedogs

That's what I was told I had to do by the DMV I had research this before I stated

1927graham likes this.
  4. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Use your phone to record.
    Legal? Whatever.

5. belair

belair

Your expectations were way too high. Next time go in with a camera and after they treat you that way, give the footage to the news station and post it on FB, etc. Got to keep the bureaucrats in line, or they think we work for them. And x2 on what 31Dodger said.

38fordpickup likes this.
  6. belair

belair

you guys type fast

7. And to make it worse, it's your tax money that's paying their salary...Heck of a way to treat the boss!

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

There's no way I'd put big money and time into a car I didn't have title to. No matter what the experts told me to do. Looks like you talked with different experts last time, cause they sure didn't have any advice for you this time. Can you go to a different County's office?

9. bobw

bobw

I've been through it a few times in Minnesota. Both with glass cars and steel cars.
    Go to the DMV and fill out an Application for Title form and a Statement of Facts form. Give them money .

Include receipts for the major components i.e. the body, engine, trans, rear end. Then wait. You will receive a letter stating the vehicle needs to be inspected. Make an appointment, I went to Faribault the last time and it was 3 months out. Have the car inspected. It is not a safety inspection, rather they are looking for stolen parts. Wait. You will receive a letter stating it is approved and you can make an appointment to have the VIN sticker applied. Same long wait. Or, since you have a steel car, the ownership could be in doubt and you will get a letter stating you need to secure a bond from an insurance company. Get the bond and mail it in, Wait. You will receive a letter stating you can make an appointment to get the VIN sticker applied.

This is roughly the procedure. I've talked to guys that followed different instructions, at the whim of the Registrar they went to but this is how it went on my last encounter with the DMV a couple years ago. BTW, It took almost two years, but I had the car stored winters and couldn't get it inspected in the wintertime.

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Don't know about MN, and it has been a few years for me, but last vehicle I built from scratch in WI I had to go thru a State Trooper to inspect it....lots of BS, but I passed..
    Then I had to take the inspected form to the DMV....
    Maybe the same for you.
    However, you are correct, they are morons...and work for you...pass on your problems to your Governor..

11. Any DMV should have any scenario covered online. Are your papers in order?
    Sometimes a certain DMV office is just loaded with asshats.. try another one.

12. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've found when you go to government offices looking for information, people that have no idea about what you need will tell you anything just to get you away from their window. Then, after you have what they were asking for, no one seems to know what you are talking about.

13. This is the EXACT same situation I encountered also. Took two years, two inspections, about $900 and a lot of BULLSHIT from the DMV.

14. There are a couple of DMV offices that have their shit together. New Brighton is one. I went to the DMV office in Maplewood, off of White Bear Ave. They schooled themselves on mine, and when I went there the second time, they had it down. Had the car inspected at the Inspection station off of Rice St. in St.Paul.

1927graham likes this.
  15. I will not buy a car without a title,here in South Carolina the DMV has hard fast rules and it is a nightmare to get a title if you never had one.

You are going to have to play their game and wait for the inspector and be nice,blowing your cool will not help your cause and may alienate you with the DMV. HRP

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Same here in BC, although word is, change is in the works. As it stands right now, if it comes from out of province, you cant register it into your name until it passes a provincial safety, cant pass the safety till its a finished car. Don't like it? Don't build hot rods in BC.

17. ken bogren

ken bogren

I've seen several cars that caught my attention, until I got to the "no title" part of the ad.

2racer and belair like this.
  18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

And they wonder why people purchase titles at swap meets.

falcongeorge and timwhit like this.
  19. stimpy

stimpy

I guess even though Illinois is broke and the gov't is fubared at least we can call Springfield and talk to right People at are SOS office and get the info without the run around ( and they mail us the packet of info too ! ) , I have found even with modern vehicles that the local branches are dumber than a box of rocks and less usefull too ( at least the rocks you can drive on ) my worst situation ( bought a class 8 truck from Canada ) I bypassed the local DMV and drove the 150 miles to Springfield to get it put into the system properly , one day all it took . the local DMV it would have been several weeks of run around .and the bigger the town the Dmv is in the worse they are on wanting to work .

20. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

You cant title a pile of parts.

This is the same basic procedure as in South Dakota on a rebuilt vehicle, Mine didn't take very long, total time after emailing to find out who was in charge of the girl dragging her feet was 6 weeks, i had the title a week after contacting her boss.

21. i never understood why they make such a big deal.
    all you want to do is pay to put your name, insurance and liability on a vehicle and they make it a pita. i just don't get it.

jetnow1 and timwhit like this.
  22. blazedogs

blazedogs

23. blazedogs

blazedogs

I go to a lot of cars shows here in Minnesota. We presently have about 20,000 members in the MSRA.Many of these cars were built from scratch or rebuilt from starters as ours, with no title and just pieces. At a Hastings show about 1 Month ago I even saw a Menure spreader with a V-8 in it with Mn street Rod Plates( nope not kidding)

I have done exactly what I was suppose to do , Apply for a application for title before the build , pay the 400 dollars,.build it and have followed the procedure. I've not taken any short cuts.

The wife says I haven't any patients,that I get worked up too easy Maybe she's right or maybe I just don't know the right people ?

24. .

So did you happen to get that persons name?

Did you bring your research, info, code numbers, with you ?

DMV :
    "What the hell are you talking about sir?"
    You:
    Your DMV code xyz , section 123.45 says so, see right here? I have a copy for you-
    DMV:
    Hold on sir-
    (Yells back to others)
    Hey, there's a guy who really knows what's going on here, you're going to have to help him. I don't think I can bullshit him away.

stimpy and Jet96 like this.
  25. When I did the roadster I called the St.Paul office, they have a gal that does the old cars with no title, she told me what forms I needed and to have them filled out before I came in. Went in with everything filled out, all my slips and money. everything went smooth, she even gave me a 60 day permit so I could drive the car to the inspection. Had to renew the permit once because it took 68 days from my first office visit to the day my plate came. All in all it went good. Bob

1927graham likes this.
  26. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Yup. I have a model A sedan BODY, nothing else. Went to the MN DMV and asked what I needed to do. The gal told me I needed to take 4 pictures of it, front back and both sides. Then she gave me a paper to fill out about what it is and how I got it bla ba bla. Then brin it back and we will send it in for a "street rod" title. I told he it was just a body, no engine no interior now wheels, nothing. She said GOOD, don't stick a bunch of money into it and make it run to find out you cant get a title, do this first. I did all that and came back a few days later. Different gal this time. Showed he my stuff and she said " wait a minute, this is just a body." I said yup. She said "bring all this back when you make it a running and driving car. And we wonder why we drink?

1927graham likes this.
  27. BJR

BJR

From what I have read, now we can get a title for a pile of parts in Wisconsin.

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Thank God we don't have to have a title on anything over 35 years old here in Bama.

29. A lot of good information from the Minnesota guys!! The HAMB has been a real help for many of us.

30. Title Company. In these parts, the only place to start. DMV here are registration sticker colors, and payment choice experts. Easy is DMV approved. Research or reading involved ? ....... next in line please !