Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Very cool stuff right here.....Can't wait for more...Sure would be a great hot rod to attend the Hill Climb in George Town next year.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

I'll second that one!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I decided to address the rust in the lower LH side of the body. Using some 18 ga cold rolled steel, I used the "Chinese Wheel" (mine is a HF machine) to shape the rear of the patch panel, to match the body contour, and fade to flat going forward. The lower patch panel flange needed a pass through the shrinker to lay flat on the body side, I scribed around it and removed the rusty section with a cut-off wheel and some snips. For now it is tacked together, until my accomplice drops by to hammer the short sections of weld, as I tig them, we always get good results, doing using that method. IMG_5965.JPG IMG_5963.JPG IMG_5964.JPG IMG_5966.JPG IMG_5969.JPG IMG_5968.JPG IMG_5970.JPG

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

nice work as usual.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am sidelined on the project for a few days, an A/V8 that I built for a friend over the last few years, came back for some finish up details. Also, I wanted to show off the new/old bead roller I just scored ! Back to regular programming next week. IMG_5971.JPG IMG_5977.JPG IMG_5978.JPG IMG_5976.JPG

1947knuck, bymanr, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Kool shit Marty.
    Gary

7. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Marty---nice score on the Bead Roller. Those big Maplewoods are pretty tough to find........

8. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Marty that baby looks like its got some time on it, it sure will look nice all redone with maybe some fine lines by Mitch to finish her off in grand style like they used to do

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You got that right DND....
    Mitch is the best striper on the planet, and a real cool cat ta boot.
    Known him for over 30 years.

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Denny
    I call him ' Magic Fingers ' as there is none better and a true gentleman

Here is one of my 1/16 scale sprinters that I built for Gary Meadors, I asked Mitch if he could do a small Goodguys logo and he said I think so and GoodGuys Sprinter.jpg he knocked it out of the park with the turned gold leaf and fine line stripes

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The best part about having Mitch Kim do work is, I give him a general idea of what I want, drop it off and leave. His design and workmanship always exceeds my expectations. I do my best to satisfy him, with the work he has me do.

1947knuck and volvobrynk like this.
  12. Just trailered my avatar 39 down to Portland for Mitch to do his magic........att'd pic shows rear trunk lid masterpiece applied, amongst others........my only request to Mitch was "do it like it was your own car, including colors".......he did just the right amount & colors to enhance the finished car.......it's a real pleasure to spend the day in his studio and watch him free-hand lines...........

Attached Files:

1947knuck and BigO like this.
  13. bonesy

bonesy

I absolute love this project.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mitch is usually agrreable with you on most things hot rod, and he is an absolute nut about cars in general, so I like to stop in for a little chat once in a while. It seems like no matter how busy he is; he's always willing to b.s. about one of his projects or your own.
    The last time I was there I spotted that original and perfect deuce grill shell and insert on the wall above your 39. So I just said hey Mitch can I have that deuce shell and he goes sure like he always does, I wonder if he really meant it, we never talked money so I guess it's mine huh.

15. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

You are so lucky Denny you live so close, I have to settle for the phone chats now & then

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

DND....hope Marty doesn't mind the thread hijack.
    Maybe we should start a thread honoring Mitch's body of work huh.
    Right on, yep back when Mitch was heavy into L79 Novas, we chatted by phone fairly regularly.
    Lucky!!!! boy between you and MAZ and your 60's So. Cal. drag racing stories, and rubbing elbows with all the movers and shakers in the hot rod world, I'd say the bulk of the luck landed in your laps.;)
    Back to the scheduled programming.

17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Marty

Happy Pumpkin day and how are thing's moving in the Spalding roadster dept, have not seen any pics for a bit ?

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Great project ... can't wait to see Pat sitting in it ....

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hi Don,
    I have been catching up some lingering projects, along with getting ready for Winter. I will be back on The Spalding next week, just putting a bulkhead and some cockpit tin work in Lonnie's Tank. IMG_6040.JPG IMG_6042.JPG IMG_6045.JPG IMG_6046.JPG IMG_6047.JPG IMG_6049.JPG IMG_6050.JPG

1947knuck, Okie Pete, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  20. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the pics of that little mini tank, did he ever get that little thumper running right ?

Plus it needed some kind of a different transmission too ?

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I just spotted this shot of the Spalding at El-Mirage, found it on the Drag Cars in Motion Thread of all places. Isn't that Dick Kraft getting under way ? Spalding & Dick Craft.jpg Spalding & Dick Craft.jpg

22. Yes, that is Dick Kraft roadster. That shot really illustrates how vertical the Spalding grille was compared with Kraft's grille in a more common laid back position.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I was fortunate to meet Dick Kraft at Bakersfield in '98 when my roadster was new, what a nice guy ! 2014-04-29 161322.jpg

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Marty,
    Which one is you?:p

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, I'm the guy with "Big Eyes".

1947knuck likes this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What in the world is this doing in the picture ? :D
    IMG_2125.JPG

1947knuck and volvobrynk like this.
  27. Wondered how long it would take for this to be spotted..........given his long experience & lots of old Playboy/Penthouse mags available, Mitch uses these to mix his paints and load his brushes as the glossy paper works the best for him............he just flips to fresh pages as needed........

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And the pictures give inspiration too :D
    Now that Playboy will not be publishing naked women in their magazine, he may want to reconsider that practice.
    They may become collectable :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. oj

oj

That hit n' miss got a lumpity cam? I think it is the coolest thing ever.

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

OJ, If you want to hear it, click on the link below. Lonnie has remounted the engine on rubber mounts since the video was made.