Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1926/27 Roadster on an A chassis: The Sugar House Spl.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Oct 28, 2015.

1. 4444Design

4444Design

Looks like a cool Project
    really dig that Gastank!

-Brent- likes this.
  2. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks! Here's an artsy pic of the tank, with all the fabwork finished. I had to redo 2 of the nutserts and modify the retaining ring on the fuel gauge. The curvature of the tank vs how the gauge would best mount (flat) meant some adjustments needed to be made.

IMG_20151101_182814.jpg

When I drop off a couple things for some hand painted work, I'll bring the tank, too. I have something really simple/tasteful planned to make the filler, bungs, and gauge areas more finished/refined. There won't be anything gaudy or silly done to it.

3. I've got one question about your shim you made. It is not radiused on the front and back is it? The inside of the A crossmember has a radius from being pressed. An old timer told me to just use the top leaf off of the a spring on the t spring and it eliminates the need for shims while using a t spring. That's what I'm doing in my car. Maybe I'm just off base...

-Brent- likes this.
  4. -Brent-

-Brent-

This shim is T spring width. I've never worried about the differing widths or that it wouldn't sit right because of it being a tad bit narrower. And, after reading about it, other folks I look to for info aren't concerned with the 1/8 difference on either side, either. If it does need to be knocked down a bit, I'll address it then - and certainly let everyone know.

The A top spring wasn't going to accomplish what I wanted/needed as far as providing me with more contact on the crossmember. I've heard of guys doing exactly what you mention but in my case it doesn't look to solve anything for me.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. Oh ok I understand now. The A top leaf is for the 1/8" as its been described to me it prevents your centerbolt from taking all the load from the spring forward and backward. Carry on and excuse my dumb question haha!

-Brent- likes this.
  6. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Yep, that's what I do.

-Brent- likes this.
  7. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A cool build and a history lesson. Can't beat it.

-Brent- likes this.
  9. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Brent I have a 27 body and a model a running gear just as you have. Have had them for about a year now. You have inspired me to get moving on it. Your doing a fine job. I like it. Mark.

-Brent- likes this.
  10. docmike

docmike

These early homebuilt hot rods always intrigued me. There were no catalogs to thumb through to pick out your performance parts from. These early pioneers had to make do with stock parts and their own innovations. There was no "right" way to do it. I love the way you are going about your build by using the parts available back in the day.

Doc

-Brent- likes this.
  11. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Cool! love the style. Haven't been on here in quite a while. Good to see some inspiring work happening. Motivates me to get back on my own stuff!

26 T Ford RPU and -Brent- like this.
  12. Hi Brent, So glad you are now doing this build and what a cool build it is........im following along.:cool::cool::D JW

-Brent- likes this.
  13. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

That shim is brilliant. Great job.

-Brent- likes this.
  14. salf100

salf100

Quick question. Where did you get that brass file handle? I have an idea I can use that for. On another note, the build is awesome. I day dream of the day that I can build something like this. Keep it up!!

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

This file handle is cast, I am fairly certain. I probably got it at an estate sale or something like that. Garage Journal or eBay would probably be my first choices to seek one out. I have seen folks use stove handles, which are nearly identical at the handle portion for projects like shift knobs and such. I have a few of those I have been meaning to modify for that purpose.

As well, thanks to all the folks who are commenting with support and such. I appreciate it.

I have been working on a couple things, these few past evenings, that will be better shared later down the line when they're complete.

The plan for my shop time this weekend is to get the front end together. Once that's complete things should start to roll.

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dig that site gauge!!! LOL!!

-Brent- likes this.
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Not much going on this last week and a half, at least nothing to write about.

However, today I picked up the shim for the rear spring.

IMG_20151119_093913.jpg

I have plans, tonight, that will keep me out of the garage but tomorrow night I'll get some stuff done. Once the rear is set it'll help me figure out the front configuration. I don't mind the front sitting a tad lower than the rear but I was working out some math for the front and it occurred to me that I may have to pull a leaf out of the rear to get a better stance. We'll see.

There's two in the pic above because another HAMBer wanted one. I don't have a spare.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just a thought... Consider all the non-elliptical suicide perches that will now be rendered obsolete.
    The realization staggers...:D

-Brent- likes this.
  19. flamingokid

flamingokid

A very worthy project.Subscribed....

-Brent- likes this.
  20. OFT

OFT

Thanks for the link on your "other" build thread. Didn't know this was yours. Cool build you have going. Will need to drop down for a visit for sure to check both projects and on the "other brand" rear end
    I sold my 26/7 project before moving to Idaho Falls late last year.
    I'm OFT on all the boards.

-Brent- likes this.
  21. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Subscribed!!!
    What a fantastic build. I really like what you're doing and I really appreciate the history as well.
    I've been gathering parts for a 26 T on a Model A frame as well. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the frame to the house and can start laying things out.

Bobby

-Brent- likes this.
  22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, fellas. I have been away from the project, wrapping up an OT vehicle. I have a bit more to do with that but, let me tell ya, I am itching to get this back together.

The last two weekends I removed everything that wasn't a tool or specifically for this project or the other. My shop is no longer storage for hot rod parts, which I have a buttload of!

So, as we get into summer I will be back into this. Even though I have caught myself daydreaming while looking at the pile of parts, the plan hasn't changed. Even though I came across some neat parts I forgot I had, still, the period and focus is the same.

I hope everyone is well... More roadster stuff, soon!

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Not too much. I took on an OT project and have remodeled my shop so it's actually usable. I've been pushing it in and out of the shop, routinely, and man… I'm ready to get on this thing. But, it won't be until summer probably. I'll be sure to post up when I get back onto it.

Thanks for checking in on me.

bct likes this.
  24. zxr92

zxr92

I found out today a connection with my Grandfather and his friend. My Grandfather worked at Ketchum's Lumber and Hardware (400 South 700 West) and became friends with Marvin J. Ashton, who's father (Marvin O. Ashton) ran Sugarhouse Lumber! I didn't make that connection until I saw this today. I just knew they were golfing/basketball buddies so this makes more sense. Obviously, I will be watching the progress and knowing my Grandpa and his buddies are watching somewhere too! :)

kidcampbell71 and -Brent- like this.
  25. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's pretty cool!

The car is sitting comfortably on the side of my shop, waiting its turn. I have an OT project ahead of it that I really should get to wrenching on.

20170625_140343.jpg

IMG_20170625_095148_615.jpg

SHSPec1.jpg

kidcampbell71, Jimmy B, zxr92 and 4 others like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The roadster looks nice and 'fat' with the 'A' running board fairings... Might do this with the '27 T fairings I have, to 'fatten-up' my '27 tub. ('27 tubs look 'Munster-long' without fenders...)

-Brent- likes this.
  27. Push that OT car into the street and finish that roadster man!!!;)

28. kidcampbell71 and -Brent- like this.