Register now to get rid of these ads!

some of the work from my shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornfieldcustoms, Nov 15, 2011.

1. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

my good friend Kyle Yocum and myself hold classes at my shop and his shop from time to time. the next one is at the end of october if your interested

didnt get as much time as i would have liked to on the practice fender but did get a little time. spent about 1.5 hours on it today. got the front top of the fender paper patterned, then started shaping. got the first round of shrinking done, then moved onto linear stretching the edge to start bringing the reverse around. here is where it was after about 40 mins of actual shaping time today. long ways to go but the basic shape is starting to come around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    AHotRod likes this.
  2. aplayer

aplayer

This is fun to watch. Thanks for taking the time to post.

3. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

a little more progress on the 55 fender. got more of the front of the fender/ eye brow area roughed in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and reused a model a rear axle tube to make a stand for my little anvil

[​IMG]

Rich B. and AHotRod like this.
  4. Bugguts

Bugguts

Always cool stuff here. Thanks for the inspiration.

5. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

6. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

been super busy the last few weeks fixing a model a coupe body, i will post pics of it when its done.

anyways, i had to make some new door skins for some 32 ford sedan doors for Bobby Hilton.
    used the English wheel to put all the shape, then switched over to the power hammer to put the half of the belt line in.

here is the door i started with

[​IMG]

here is test fitting the over sized skin on the door

[​IMG]

before i could wrap the edges i had to make new bottoms for the doors. these were not as much fun or interesting to look at compared to the skins. took about 30 mins to make the new bottom and a while longer to trim and fit them into the doors

tacked in place

[​IMG]

all welded in

[​IMG]

so with the door frame finished up it was time to finish the skin up. so i marked the door frame on the back of the skin, added .375 around that for the hemmed edge. trimmed everything up, then used a hammer and dolly to turn the flange up. then continued hammer and dolly work to set the hem on the frame. all that was left was to cut the weld seam in the center of the belt line. cut the seam, tig welded it up, ran over it with the hammer and dolly once and sanded down the weld. didnt really do much on metal finishing the weld seam, due to time and bobby wanted to finish them off.

here is the finished product of the first door. like i said no metal finishing was done so they are not 100%

[​IMG]

jakespeed63, Stogy, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  7. Top shelf work. Some real skills here.

8. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

just a pleasure to see your work

9. MP&C

MP&C

Nicely done Mike!

10. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

I always love reading your posts and appreciate the time you take to photograph and describe what you're working on.

11. very nice work my friend...

12. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Once again, outstanding work! You have a way of making everything look easy. Thanks for posting your work, it truly is an inspiration.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing workmanship!!

14. I'll second the motion!

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

I just read this thread, start to finish, and it's really neat/impressive to see your work and the progression of your skill since the start of the thread.

16. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

here are both doors finished up and ready to head back to Bobby. like i said before these have not been metal finished out, just welded up, hammered and dollied out a couple times

[​IMG]

and here is a short video showing all the things i have going on in the shop at the moment. a few people have wandered why i have not been posting often any more. the video might help explain it lol

[​IMG]

17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Glad to see you are so busy! Hope it all of that work is like play for you. You workmanship will hopefully continue to keep your shop filled to the brim and I wish you great success!

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Don't see a video?

19. Click In the image! And you will redirecting to the vídeo!

Enviado desde mi XT1068 mediante Tapatalk

20. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

here is a time lapse video of me working on the power hammer from earlier tonight

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great video !
    God has Blessed you with talent and customers.
    Well done.

22. Makes me tired just watching the video!

23. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

did a little repair on an original 32 K member

the before

[​IMG]

after the repair

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also welded in a set of taulbert tie rod end bungs in some bones

[​IMG]

i have also been working on an aluminum inner deck lid for a custom application

[​IMG]

still have a long way to go with it, but it is getting there. a little more welding and one more filler piece. then a ton of planishing. then i can start making the skin

24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Bet you sleep damn good Mike! I'm tired for ya! NOW GET BACK TO WORK!! Joe

loudbang likes this.
  25. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

the funny thing is i sleep terrible lol. so i am usually just exhausted from poor sleep

26. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Hey I resemble that remark! maybe I'll pass ya in the hall! Joe

27. YJ4000

YJ4000

Very nice work. Seeing your results makes me work at improving my results. Mine may be nothing compared to yours but at least I know it can be done.

Thanks, Ryan.

28. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

finally have time to make a post. a lot of stuff has been going on in the shop and moving forward on projects. a lot has been done on the Wyke 32 sedan, i hop to update that thread this week. but here is some progress on the sheet metal work on the darrin town car i have been working on

we had to make some filler panels to tie in the fenders into the body. there was nothing there to pattern, so i made some bucks out of foam, then covered them in a coat of body filler.

[​IMG]

after i got the one side shaped how i liked it, i patterned it to make the match for the other side

[​IMG]

then came time to paper pattern the buck and transfer that into steel

[​IMG]

i didnt film or take any pics of the shaping process, but it was all done on the power hammer with a linear stretching die set to get the reverse

[​IMG]

and then there were 2

[​IMG]

i had to just get the panels shaped, the customer is planning on finishing them himself

also had to make a roll pan. it looks fairly simple but was a little more complicated than it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also had to make a new package tray, set the hinges up, and finish the inner deck lid frame. i had my employee Ryan get those finished up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in this pic you can see that the inner deck lid has been finished. the blocks in the top corners is .375 thick steel plate that is riveted to the inner lid. it was drilled and tapped to give a solid mount for the lid hinges

[​IMG]

i still have to make the outer skin on the lid, but that might be down the road some

loudbang, Johnboy34 and Fedman like this.
  29. gatz

gatz

great metal-working skills !

that package tray looks like it could've been from the factory

30. Always impressed with your skills and ability to shape the metal. Thanks for sharing with us.