Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FlatCab: 1932 Cabriolet, Hot 1941/42 Merc Flathead Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Getting Close to the End - Some Semi-Final Pictures:

Here is the latest assembly stage on the stand . . . have yet to paint the generator and fan, it will be done shortly. Also, need to put some better plug wires (probably Packard 440 if I can find it), Rajay plug ends, mount the fuel pump and run the lines.

So here it is . . . and don't give me any grief over the later Navarro heads or damn braided oil lines . . . I know, I know, I know . . . feel my pain! :)

2015-07-22 21.00.46 copy.jpg 2015-07-22 21.00.53 copy.jpg 2015-07-22 21.01.03 copy.jpg

I'm getting close boys . . . and boy do I want to start it and see how it performs . . . but I must wait a bit . . .

Note: Bit of a Delay Coming Up: I won't be starting the engine for another 30 - 45 days . . . as I don't have time at the moment to put it in the car and get it running. I hate having to wait, but I have some other commitments that I need to get too that I've been putting off all summer . . . so I'll have to put this down for a bit.

I'll update this thread when I'm back at it . . . stay tuned!

2. tevintage

tevintage

Hi Dale:
    What a fine looking Flathead. Anyone would be proud to have such a motor under their bonnet! TEB

3. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I are you using kg gunkote? I have used it before with very nice results.

4. 45 days!! You gotta be joking :(

5. Just for shits and grins ... I'd be interested in figuring the labor tally. Details are incredible. Will it have more horsepower then hours building ? Fantastic thread, thank you.

6. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

No disrespect on hi-jacking the thread or whatever, but here is my '37 Flathead painted just about the same color. I wish I had better paint skills, maybe it would have turned out like yours, Bored&Stroked!
    21 Stud Flathead.jpg 21 Stud Flathead 1.jpg

Bored&Stroked likes this.
  7. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Wow! Looks great,but looks so normal now, like a nicely dressed rebuild flatty! can,t wait to see the video when it tears it shirt off like the Hulk!preferabley in the 32 throwing that early ford suspension from port to starboard!

8. banjorear

banjorear

Dale:

Words can't describe how impressed I am with this build up. I'm so looking forward to hearing this motor start up and seeing the fruits of your labor.

Best,

Tim

9. Lets see Dale ......... start up real soon......break in a little later........first real road trip........Oct 3rd Eagle Field!!!!!:D:D:D
    espically since ya was rained out of Bonney!!!

10. Nice looking 37! You've done a fine job on it :)

11. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

The engine is looking good. It will look even better with your 39 box bolted to the engine...

What are your thoughts on using new heads reproduced to look like pre-war heads? I noticed you are trying for a pre-war look and chose not to do this.

12. One option is for a repop set of Eddie Meyer's from Don Orosco . . . might do that approach. Or the Edelbrock block letter heads . . . but then I'd have to run an Edelbrock Slingshot to match (and there is no shortage of that combination running around). I'm going to see how this engine runs with the big cam, light flywheel and Zephyr gears combination - then I may swap some different heads onto it during the winter. Also, this gives me a chance to checkout the piston and valve coatings - as I'd like to do the same to the head chambers if I like the adhesion results.

Thanks for checking out my thread!

Dale

13. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

Have you had the chance to do any further work? I'm really curious how everything works out.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I believe he said he be on something like a 45 day pause with the engine, I think, would have to read back into the thread.

15. One month till Eagle Dale:D:D:D

16. I'm Back . . . Was Only Away 90 Days . . .
    I've been off this project for awhile - had to work on an important land project out West . . . just got back in town and I'm going to get this damn engine in the car and running! Lots of little shit to do - going full speed at it!

1) Front of the Motor Work - Problem, Timing Pointer Setup: I needed to come up with a way to add a 'timing pointer' to the front of the motor - and setup/modify a crank pulley to match. I used a late 30's crankshaft pulley (the one that mounted a fan on the front). It was the only one I had that would do the trick.

2) Cut the Fan Mount Off the Crank Pulley: Even though it clears the 32 cross-member, why have it on the pulley in the first place - so chop it off on the lathe! Then clean up the pulley to look like it belongs on the dang engine.
    CrankPulleyLathe1 copy.jpg CrankPulleyLathe2 copy.jpg

3) 32 Motor Mounts - Modified for a 59X Engine: As this car had a 59AB in it already, it was using the stock 32 front motor mounts. This is the only year that I'm aware of that used a mount of this sort. This is probably why an original set goes for over $200 on the Bay. Given that a 59AB has a wider fan-belt angle (due to the pumps in the block - instead of in the heads), then it was common practice to take a grinder and notch the stock 32 mounts to clear the fan belt. This had been previously done to my mounts - though I cleaned them up a bit more, added a little more clearance, etc..

32mounts copy.jpg
    4) Driver's Side Mount - Adding a Timing Pointer: I wanted to create a timing pointer and fabricate it into the stock mount - in a way that at least appears that it could have been made that way. This is one of those easy projects that should take an hour - and takes 4 or more by the time my picky ass is through!
    32MountsModified2 copy.jpg
    5) Marked the Crank Pulley for TDC, and 10, 20, 30 before TDC. I used my big degree wheel to move the crank to the correct positions, then put the pulley on each time and ground a new timing mark. I'll paint it and use white in the 'timing mark' grooves.
    CrankPulleyAndNewMount2 copy.jpg
    6) Front of the Motor: Everything is cleaned up and ready for paint - I liked the way things turned out. Kind of looks like it came this way from the factory (which was my goal).

CrankPulleyAndNewMount3 copy.jpg
    FrontofMotorComplete2 copy.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I can't tell you how "patiently" I've been. This is the best news I've had all weekend.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Glad I'm back and glad you're interested in my babble . . . thanks for staying tuned! Lots will be happening in the next few days.

B&S

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Good to see you back. I have not noticed much flathead tech posted lately.

20. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Yeah! Glad you're back. Sposed to start snowing here the next day or so. It'll be good to hear some flathead barkage :)

21. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

anxious to see how much torque and horsepower a top of the line flathead makes.
    my version of a timing pointer.
    [​IMG]

22. If your still after Packard leads, there was a thread here a few years ago, that had info on who stocked em.
    A search would probably turn it up.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Looks great - nicely done!

24. Just bought a roll of original Packard 440 wire and Rajah ends - should have them shortly. The ends are straight ones - will see if I like them (used to run 90 degree ones - back in the day).

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Lookin great. Good to see you're back at it.

26. As always very nice workmanship Dale......... now get that thing Running!!!!

27. Mart

Mart

Nice work on the pointers, both of 'em. Top notch stuff. In typical "Mart" fashion, mine is a bit of bent wire. :rolleyes:

Mart

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Yes! Great to see you back at it.

29. Painting Away . . .
    This is the tedious part of the job - cleaning up all the parts, disassembling, masking, painting . . . you know the drill. Sometimes I want to be in a big hurry (as the engine being started is close!), but I've learned to keep my focus, continue the quality of work I've done and don't cut corners.

1) Original 34 Generator: This is the generator that came on the 59AB that was in the car - heck, it puts out 18 amps and works great . . . so why not use it until I get my 'super-duper' 40 amp version made. The only reason I need a high-amp generator is because of the bright Halogen headlight bulbs I've installed - and they are definitely worth it. But, for the short term - I'll just run this old generator. I took it apart - was either a new item or "recently rebuilt" - circa the 1950's when the car was parked. No wear on the armature, bearings were good, brushes looked like new, etc.. There cloth covering on the field coils was a little dry rotted on the front side - so I figured "Hell, mix up some epoxy and coat them a bit" . . . figured it can't hurt them. The armature was working just fine, so hopefully my screwing around with it didn't disturb any of the old winding insulation (these old parts are a bit fragile). I will carefully put it back together, grease the bearings and see if the old girl still works!

2015-11-05 14.36.59 copy.jpg

2) Enamel Painting: I used to shoot a lot of enamel - but that was 35 years ago and I was a bit out of practice when I painted the engine block (couple months ago). I had to relearn a few things - so I was happy to see that I did well on these parts, the fan (hardest part to paint) came out really well . . . so I'm back with being good with enamel.

2015-11-05 14.39.31 copy.jpg 2015-11-05 14.39.26 copy.jpg

3) Headers: When I got these from Drake, they came with some cheap black paint on them. I now damn well it won't last worth a shit. I used to bring all my headers down to a place to be ceramic coated - always came back looking okay, but the coatings didn't last all that well either (and cost a ton). Since I've managed to get deep into coatings in general on this engine, decided to blast and coat the headers myself - with coatings that require a heat/bake cycle to cure them. I baked them last night - turned out really well. Now we'll see if these coatings hold up any better than the ones I paid a ton for.

2015-11-05 14.37.20 copy.jpg
    Okay - time to assemble stuff . . .

2015-11-05 12.40.17 copy.jpg 2015-11-05 12.40.32 copy.jpg