Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Very small 12 volt heater motors to fit original heaters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 31, 2015.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have restored a original heater for my 37 Chevy p/u and now need a very small 12 volt motor with a 1/4 shaft,took one off a British car with the same size shaft but the motor is still way too large so anyone know where I can get a reasonable priced small motor. I should have tried to find a motor before repainting the heater since I really do not want to do much modifications to make one fit.

2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I used one from an aftermarket under dash AC unit . It had a shaft out of each end of the motor . I sawed one shaft out used the other . Worked like a champ for years !

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have two under dash a/c units but do not want to destroy them but could take a look at them and find a junk one to cut up.

4. F&J

F&J

some people use a fan from a home computer.

they are supposed to be 12v dc, and very flat

scrap metal 48 likes this.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I never thought about a computer fan and will have to look into one.

6. And available in several sizes. I have used these fans on many 12 volt equipment cooling jobs.

yruhot likes this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you can use the six volt motor if you have it, they just run a little fast. also I have found that if they do not work, many times all it is is the old cloth wire has deteriorated and is grounding on the case, slip some shrink tube over the wire and you are good.

8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Just using a ceramic type resistor on mine.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The original motor is shot and have found a new replacement 6 volt motor if I do not find any 12 volt motor to work.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The computer fans I've seen only blow a small amount of air, not enough for a heater. I bought one at Radio Shack to replace a bad fan motor on my 12 volt ice less drink cooler. It does a good job at that, but it doesn't have enough flow to force heat from a heater core.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if a starter/generator shop has the ability to convert the 6V to 12V. They can modify starters and generators, they're just forms of electromagnetic energy like electric motors. of course I'm over-simplifying the idea but it might be possible, maybe even affordable. With all the grey matter on this board, perhaps one of the well respected brainy types will chime in on that? I must say, this is a timely thread for me. Was just contemplating the logistics of such (6V to 12V) for my 39 Tudor today.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would use the 6v replacement motor with a voltage reducer from Napa, VT6187SB..Motor still runs a little faster but seems to be fine in my Crosley and you can wire it for two speeds..

13. Both the old heaters that I rebuilt from 6v to 12 v have motors from NAPA that are the same size and dimension as the old 6v motors. If you get a good person at the counter.....
    RB

goldmountain likes this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I stopped by my local NAPA and they had a confused look when I asked about universal heater motors but it was a couple minutes before they closed.

15. I used a voltage reducer for the 6v motor in my heater (avatar), it works great and costs $16.00 on eBay.
    12 Volt to 6 Volt Heater Blower Motor Voltage Reducer
    ( 331158861807 )
    s-l140.jpg

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Jeff, you can buy computer 12V motors at Mendelsons on the 3rd floor.. They have both 12V and 110V so make sure and get the right one.. All different sizes and about $6 each...

17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

What size and shape do you need to make it fit? A drawing with dimensions would help, or pics of what you're trying to fit. Motors come in all shapes, sizes, and speeds.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will measure it after I get back from the swapmeet and junkyard.

19. NAPA has a listing of about 4 bazillion heater fan motors I posted the scans up a few years back. Lemme see If I can find them.

20. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

21. There is a small Vintage Air heater unit that will fit behind a 46-48 heater box enclosure. I have used it in my avatar and I will in my 28 pickup and my present 32 5-window build.. It is a 2-speed, 12-volt setup that will heat the cab of any 28-34 coupe in a jiffy ....

22. I used one for a Peterbuilt sleeper. I'll look for the box and part number. Two speed and was the shortest body motor I could find, works great.

23. touring20

touring20

I have heater motors with four blade fan , two speed 25$ plus shipping if your interested.​

24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I took the original 6v from my Harrison heater to Napa, and like mentioned, with a good counter parts guy they could match one up. 2014-03-10 19.37.28.jpg

25. I used a computer case fan on my 38 Chevy coupe. They are 12v. The one I got is 5-6 inch wide. It spins fast and blows air very good. I'm using a 3 way toggle switch for low high and off. Its wired to a 65 Chevelle Heater Blower Motor Resistor Assembly (see pic). I had to search for it cause I had no idea what to call it. This thing: 609703[1].jpg
    If you use a resistor assembly mount it in a safe place because they get hot.

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There is a place near me that has had any heater motor I've needed from 6 to 24 volts.

http://www.btrac.com/

27. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

I had a note from somewhere to use a NAPA 12V motor P/N 6551063 for a replacement.

Sorry, don't have a size.

28. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

Here are the specs for the 6551063 motor from NAPA
    Blower Motor Rotation : Reversible
    Case Bolts Center To Center (G) : 2 5/16"
    Case Mounting Face To Mounting Face (C) : 3 1/2"
    Outside Motor Diameter (D) : 3.0"
    Overall Motor Length (B) : 4 1/8"
    Shaft Diameter : 5/16"
    Shaft Extension From Face (A) : 1 3/8"
    Voltage : 12 Volt DC

29. Sorry it took awhile for me to get back to you. Numbers on the box and motor are in the pictures. Motor body is 3" diameter, overall length is 4 3/8" with the shaft being 5/16" diameter. The mounting studs are 10-32 and the spread is 2 3/8". I drilled out my fan blade from 1/4" to 5/16" to fit the motor. It's a two speed motor and was told it's for Peterbuilt axillary sleeper heater. Hope this helps, Scruffy .

Attached Files:

30. I found the NAPA listing and Lane Anderson article showing a heater rebuild. I will scan them next week at the office and re-post