Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is there a car or truck you dream about but eludes you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 29, 2015.

1. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

1957 Studebaker golden hawk 1957 stude.JPG

falcongeorge and dana barlow like this.
  2. One lesson I have learned as I age is that I don't have to actually own a car to enjoy it. I used to try to buy every car I liked and always ended up getting rid of it. Now I can look at someone else's car and enjoy it while they pay for the upkeep...;)

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

I am a young guy, but the cars I lust after are similar to many of yours.
    The big one is a Nomad. I would take any year, but 56 is my favorite. I don't see me ever being able to afford one unless the price comes way down or my income goes way up. I guess I will have to make do with the tri-5s I have. My 57 210 Wagon that is my daily driver and I wouldn't be afraid to drive anywhere car and My 56 Bel Air Post car that I would love to just get it built. When I am really ambitious I will build my rust bucket 57 150 Sedan.

The other vehicle I lust after is a 30's pickup. Traditional hotrod full fender style. Model A with a deuce grill or a 32-36 Ford or 34-37 Chevy.

4. I owned a hemi powered silver hawk for about 20 minutes once. my wife is still mad about that one after 40+ years.

I have let several nice ones slip through my fingers in my lifetime, but that would be a whole different thread wouldn't it. :D

5. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

I have Lots of bad ideas. But I have wanted a 55 chevy post car in rough but buildable shape so I can build a straight axle "gasser style" car (ya ya I know, everyone thinks it a big FAD!) But I have loved gassers for years! I currently have a 4 door and a 2 door 57 chevys, that are ROUGH. The price was right, but it's just not the same. (anybody want them?). Oh and I know it's not a car but I would LOVE to find/build a 409 for my 62 belair.

6. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Hot Rod Girl.jpg One of these, in one of these . Big brake, Big tank ZO6
    [​IMG]
    I can dream, can't I ??

7. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've always had a thing for chopped 34' Ford 3 window coupes. Years back I found one on everyone's favorite auction site. It was an abandoned project, it was in bare metal, all of the metal work had been done and it looked like everything was done properly. Apparently the guy just got married and the new wife was making him sell all of his toys. Anyway, the price was crazy low with no reserve and only had like 3 hours left. I bid on it at $6,500 and it stayed there until the bitter end. In the last 2 minutes it jumped up to $25,000. Needless to say, I was out of the running.

8. tinsled

tinsled

Left one or right one...?

tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  9. The Louis Bettancourt Merc. Even if it could be found I could never afford to get it and restore it but still one can dream. It's out there somewhere....

BettancourtAyala-vi.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Stogy and brad2v like this.
  10. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I to have two! A 49 or 50 Olds Sedanette or coupe and a 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Ford roadster. But finances will more than likely prohibit me from ever acquiring any of them. Joe 49%20olds%20004%20(Small).jpg 32_ROADSTER__106_.jpg 49olds981.jpg

Stogy, Paul B and dana barlow like this.
  11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I searched for years to locate a decent '57-58 Chrysler or Desoto coupe. Anyone that knows these cars knows how few and far between a good example is, especially at a realistic price. I finally did find a straight, complete and rust-free example, but it was bad enough I would not have to worry about feeling bad for customizing it.

Here is an old pic:
    [​IMG]

Here's what I'm building:
    [​IMG]

12. clem

clem

image.jpg 1937 Cord convertible..... Hot rod version of course.

Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  13. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

1964 Studebaker Avanti R2 or R3 with a 4 speed![​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  14. LongT

LongT

Top of the list '39 Deluxe or '40 Standard Coupe, I had a '39 in high school. Followed VERY closely by '37-'38 Chevy coupe. Actually either one! Also a '39 Deluxe-'40 Standard 2 door sedan. There is one for sale almost in my range but may need work beyond my ability. I posted about it a couple of weeks ago. Needs firewall and rocker panels and some floor work. Have to sell my T though.

Bill

15. CA. 280

CA. 280

Don Hentzell's RPU. 1955, was love at first sight. Don Orosco has it now so it's in good hands. 2-MR-Hentzell-70x54.jpg 8-IMG_3621.jpg

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. CA. 280

CA. 280

Better Pic's. 4-Hentzell-Car-Craft-70x52.jpg

17. CA. 280

CA. 280

Try again 2-MR-Hentzell.jpg

56don likes this.
  18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yep they both are spot on, really like those wide stripes on the body panels

19. E type Jag convertible (6 cylinder) and a late 30s White 810 or 820 semi-tractor

20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That's the one for me too.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. boss_hoss

boss_hoss
    from Oregon

1957 Buick hard top coupe, in either the Century or Rivera variety. It's not that they are particularly expensive, you just can't find em. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446256844.789316.jpg

22. boss_hoss

boss_hoss
    from Oregon

There's an Avanti sitting on the side of Highway 101 on the Oregon coast right now for sale. Drove by it just the other day.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes you can dream. The car you could probably afford, the other, no way you could afford that. :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I 2nd that in Black with a Oxblood leather interior like my Gramps had. It's on my list, so we'll see just how bad I want it. A Ferrari was on my list before I was 30, After driving one for awhile in/out of the shop that I was working at while I was 22, I opted out of that dream car. I'm sure that there are much better ones, but $20 mil cars are not drivers or fun unless one os a sheik in Dubai ;).

I dreamt of most of all of the Hot Rods that I have had/have so many times that it was not probably sane as that's all I did and clamored for way more info on whatever was on mind. I don't do that so much now,I say more like never..... :(.

I still look forward to getting the ones that I have drivable before I'm getting dirt thrown on me.

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Was this under some trees with moisture or in a fire? Looks like its pretty intact otherwise.
    Does Don have this now??? It seems that he sold much of the projects over the past several years so I'm curious if he was finish it?????? Looks like it could be a stunner once again.

26. matter

matter

Anglia, Willys... still.

27. Boatmark

Boatmark

I have several I dream about, but will not likely every be able to afford - 67' Corvette, 32' or 36' Three Window, or 63' Austin Healey 3000.

I have a couple I dream about, and could probably swing, but never seem to make happen - 65' El Camino, 49-51 Ford Tudor, or a 59 Ford Galaxie post. I have built that El Camino in my head for thirty years, and every time I am prepared to buy one, everything I find is either too nice to pull apart and do over again the way I want it, or so far gone I don't want to mess with it. Before I find the right one, life invariably gets in the way and it never happens.

The one's that hurt are the one's that I didn't buy when I could. In 1983 a small-block C-3 Corvette was really just a cool used car. They were 5k all day long. If I'd had a brain, I'd have bought one coupe and one convertible and kept them. I had the money back before age and responsibility set in. Also passed on a 67' GTO convertible an older guy (35?) I knew tried to sell me. It was his early 70's high school hot rod, that he was doing over. 389 Tri-power rebuilt and on a stand next to the rebuilt 4-speed and rear end. New interior stored in his guest room. Chassis all done. Just needed to strip the goofy 70's custom paint, paint it, and reassemble the car with a new top that was there in a box. I tried to buy it for years - no go. Then he calls out of the blue, getting a divorce, has to go - $3500. I didn't have room for it. Called again - $2500. I still didn't have room for it. I heard it went to $2000 right before he went to divorce court. I was an IDIOT! (did I mention it was a tri-power, 4-speed, factory A/C, convertible? Arrrruuuggggg!)

Oh well. Live and learn.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. CA. 280

CA. 280

It's still posted on his website,http://www.montereyspeedandsport.com/album/don-hentzell/ , they could probably answer your questions.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pics!! can we see??!!

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In my experience, this is the case with a lot of women too. Often observing them from a distance is more fun than dealing with the upkeep!

brad2v, 56don, RiotPirate and 2 others like this.