Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6 volt and 12 volt combined?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big"D"®, Oct 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. big"D"®

big"D"®

I'm wondering if it's possible to run both 6 volt and 12 volt electrical systems simultaneously in the same vehicle. Most of my electronics will be 12 volt. But I have several items such as a clock, horn and dash lights that are 6 volt. So what if I had two complete systems? one 6 volt battery and one 12? Has anyone heard of this? It would be in a scratch rat custom so complete creative flexibility...

Thanks for any input...

2. Swap the bulbs for 12 volt ones, get a Runtz for the clock and the horn doesn't really care.
    BTW, Rats are not welcome here

Model T1 likes this.
  3. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

They sell reducers, its just a lil diode looking thing with a wire on both sides, there pretty cheap, this one here is $3.00 not sure how good it is

Attached Files:

4. hedg12

hedg12

You can run both as long as it's a negative ground system, but it's probably not worth the headache. Easier to just switch bulbs and use a converter.

5. big"D"®

big"D"®

Reducers are that cheap now? And you can never stop a rat... Thanks.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can run both negative grounds, both positive, or one each way. He's asking about running two separate electrical systems, so they can have either polarity as ground without causing issues.

I have no idea what a "scratch rat custom" is, but it sounds to me like a real cluster fuck in the making.

Model T1 and the man like this.
  7. If you install a standard 12 volt system , then use 2 X 6volt batteries (in series), you can pick off 6 volts from one battery and run all your 6 volt junk from there. They used to make 12 volt batteries with exposed cell joiners (lead strips), which you could drill and tap in the right spot and you could have6 volts. I haven,t seen them for a long time, but they may still be avaiable.

jazz1 likes this.
  8. big"D"®

big"D"®

Call it what you like, I like it...

Attached Files:

9. big"D"®

big"D"®

Now that's what I'm looking for. Bravo 36roadster... Thank you!

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This works, but one of the batteries will fail sooner than the other, due to uneven charging by the alternator/generator. The greater the draw of your 6-volt items, the sooner you'll have a battery issue.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""I have no idea what a "scratch rat custom" is, but it sounds to me like a real cluster fuck in the making.""

Had to laugh..Sorry..

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Go ahead. Use a 12V alternator, starter, coil, lights etc.

For the 6V stuff take a center tap off the battery. Remember you need bigger wires and fuses for 6V, twice as big as 12V for the same load.

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

The first unofficial rule of the hamb; post plenty of pics.
    As we say: pics or it never happend!

Second rule: no rat rods!

Third rule; one picture is teasing, and you don't want your friends to know you are a tease!

Although the grill ain't common, It ain't bad.
    The wheels are an eye saw, but that is pretty close to being a traditional hot rod.
    Please post more pics, and stop referring to it as a RR, and give it the respect it deserves!
    Call it a hot rod.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Regarding the original question; yes it can be done, but it shouldn't.

You could choise to set it up with two 6v batteries, and pull and equal amount from the two batteries.
    And then draw from both batteries for everything else.
    If you draw to much 6v from one batteries it drains/damage one battery.
    Some tow trucks has the same setup so it should work.

But compares to change over to one or the other, will prolong the life of a batteries, and enhance the quality of the whole system.

And since you scratch build the full car, why not the electric? You will be more happy about one or the other!

302GMC likes this.
  15. aaggie

aaggie

The key to life is to keep things simple. You are trying to date two women at the same time and it will not end well. Use the voltage drops.

Hudson52sam, Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Worst case scenario: two mothers in law.

That can make any man crimp in all the wrong places

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. BJR

BJR

Change the bulbs to 12v, the horn will work on 12v just louder. I ran a 6v clock on 12 volts with no problem. They only energize the coil for a moment to wind the clock so it will not burn out. And no it will not run twice as fast.

Hudson52sam and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Years ago I built a rod out of a 6V vehicle and 12V motor. Ran a mixture of 6 and 12 volts for years, using 2 batteries. But you could do the same thing with a 12v battery and take 6v off the middle. I tested my batteries regularly and planned on switching them if one showed more wear or discharge but it never happened.

302GMC likes this.
  19. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Two 6v batteries gives a bunch more cranking capacity in our cold winters ...

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

How does one get 6v from one 12v battery?

I know I'm slow, but that sounds like a typo.
    Don't you mean getting 6v between the two batteries?

21. You used to be able to buy 12volt batteries with lead cell jumpers, which you could pick 6v from.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You attach a wire to the lug that connects #3 cell to #4 cell. This used to be easy when the lugs were exposed. Now they are covered with plastic but they are still there. Cut away the plastic on an old junk battery and you will find them. Once you know where to drill you can drill a hole and put in a screw. This is called a center tap.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Looks to me like an 'odd-rod' roadster in the making. '24-'26 Hudson grill shell? Got a shell n grill that's similar. I prefer the 'odd-rods' . Usually much more interesting, but a lot of folks think they have no value, so's they hack them. Too bad, really... ;( . FWIW: drop the rat part, it'll thank you by looking better. :D .
    Marcus...

volvobrynk likes this.