Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Vintage front wheels, post pic's here.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, May 14, 2006.

1. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

NICE WORK! Looks like a great weekend project. Any tips Kev before I cut up all my 15x7's lol

2. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I can't believe I just read and looked at every post in this thread! Great stuff!

3. I have seen Ansens marked a lot of ways, some say Ansen on the face between the lug nuts some on the back and some that came in an Ansen Box new with no markings at all (early '70s I believe was the time frame). Mine are marked on the step below the bead Ansen Automotive Engineering with the size and serial number opposite. The serial number is stamped.

It is going to be a while because I got a ton of running to do this morning but I will get you a pic later if I can.

I love the Fenton Gyros but I like the Ansen for the distinctive step at the face. Funny how taste in wheels differs isn't it. :D ;)

4. My Fenton Gyros mocked up with the front end:
    axle_grill_mockup.jpg

Kan Kustom likes this.
  5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Nice set up. I really like the fluted headlight lenses.

6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

When did the Rocket Strike wheels come out? I have a set, 15x31/2, and 15x7, along with the spinner center caps. Thinking about selling the 15x7's and keeping the skinnies for a gasser project.

7. mutant55

mutant55

Well, I too am glad to see this post come back up, I too am a addict, and my 12 step program failed miserably. Yall' can pick through the rack in my picture here, nothing different than anyone else has posted, top row are 16" pairs, 9 1/2" Ansens, 11" Big Window Halibrands I just cleaned up, and a set of 10" early(?) round spoke Americans, (they have American racing equip cast into the front step around the spokes) I still need to machine the lips to complete the repair. next row down has 15 x 10 round spokes, and 15 x 9 1/2" Big windows, next row has all front runners, early Ansen 15 x 5 1/2" (2 pairs different offset) 15 x 4 round spokes, and a pair of 15 x 4 1/2" US slots polished, Bottom row has a pair of 15 x 6 round spokes, a pair of 15 x 8 1/2 American 200s, and last but not least a pair of 15 x 10 American Spirits that look almost like a big window with no lip. In the rack next to the wheels I have 2 sets of 15 x 3 1/2" Fenton slots with NOS bias ply's on them, a pair of Shelby 500 15 x 3 1/2" slots, and 2 pairs of 15 x 10 slicks, a set of Hurst's, and a set of Firestones. Vintage wheel rack.JPG

Kevs56, Drewfus and enloe like this.
  8. mutant55

mutant55

This is a close up of the 16 x 10 round spokes I referenced above, if anyone knows anything about this version of the wheels please chime in, the other pairs I have seen have a large / taller step up to the spokes, and a shorter spoke. This is how they looked when I found them, they had 4 holes on one side of each wheel that were too low and actually would have kept the tire from sealing, or just went straight into the thickness of the rim and did not even contact the tire at all. Rookie move right?? Any way, good thing I have a Uncle that can weld anything and had some magnesium rod, he got them all filled and semi finished them with no porosity in any of the welds. Tough to fill up a blind hole eh??? 16 inch American 5 spokes 001.jpg 16 inch American 5 spokes 008.jpg 16 inch American 5 spokes 011.jpg

9. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

First step to realizing you have a problem, is admitting you have a problem...Good for you!! (I'm jealous!)

10. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

used for weights to balance them (racing rims who cared)

11. modified1927

modified1927

12. Bought a set of International Dragmasters from a fellow HAMBer. The fronts had been narrowed to 4.75" by Eric Vaughn (the rears are 8.5"). Going on my '23 T tub project!
    IMG_8156.JPG
    IMG_8153.JPG
    IMG_8184.JPG

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    Just Gary likes this.
  13. Beautiful.
    Are the centers as-cast aluminum or are they painted? If painted, do you know what paint?
    Thanks,
    Gary

14. They're painted an aluminum/silver. Haven't decided if they'll stay that way or end up a darker color.

Just Gary likes this.
  15. Either way they'll look great. That "shiny rim/gray spoke" look is hard to beat for a serious-looking hot rod.

Guiseppe likes this.
  16. etwheels

etwheels
    from ca.

The wheel may have been a foundry test, checking wall thickness variation and shrinkage after machining. We routinely drill holes as it is an easy may to check wall thickness, but when we are done we also cut a large pie out before scraping. This prevents someone from buying from the scrap man and using a wheel th a time may not have been heatreated.

loudbang likes this.
  17. bald1

bald1

20150715_121551.jpg Here's a pair that are on a project that I recently bought. If you zoom in, it says "Palamides" instead of "American Racing". Any idea if these were early wheels before the start of American Racing?

509garyd likes this.
  18. Tony

Tony

I dont know who took this photo so i cant give credit unfortunately, but its of my car.
    15x4 magnesium Americans.

image.jpeg

19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bald1: The 1st ad I have found showing the early spindle mounts is HRM June of 1959, this ad is American Racing on Florida st in San Fran. The 1st Palamides listing I've found is in HRM "whats new" column January 1957, only mentioning the 4 hole rear type. Sooo... I would think your pair were made sometime between Jan '57 and June of '59 ; pretty RARE puppy's...very cool!

bald1 likes this.
  20. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Romeo Palmides started AR with a partner......I think the partner bought him out for 1/2 ownership of a $5000 race car........and I think I've made some financial mistakes

bald1 likes this.
  21. great site thanks to all that have posted

22. avmechanic

avmechanic

My father in-law has a pair of these wheels in 14x6 he is going to use on the front of his 56' Ford Victoria gasser. We were wondering what brand they were as well. I did some searching through this thread and can not seem to find a response. Anybody know? They have a nice look to them.
    Greg

23. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They sure look like Keystones to me.

24. The wheels pictured in the post from 2011 are CRAGAR Grand Prix. You can tell from the steel edge protruding past the aluminum edge on the front face. Also they have a "C" indentation next to the lug holes. If they were cleaned real well there would also be a C.I. (CRAGAR INDUSTRIES) cast onto the backside of one of the spokes. I have a pair of 15 X 6. They use the short fat center caps. 20150715_165714.jpg there were many companies making a 2 piece cheap version of the 5 spoke but as far as I know or have seen only the CRAGAR have the features I mentioned

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    bowie likes this.
  25. Fuelaltereds4life

Fuelaltereds4life

I hope these aren't to OT... I picked up a set of direct drill Keystones a while back 15"x4"
    They could be late 60's or early 70's but I have seen them on period super stock cars from the 60's
    20150811_192748.jpg

oldtymehiboy and Muttley like this.
  26. avmechanic

avmechanic

Excelent. Thanks for the info. We were going to blast and repaint them. I am sure after going through the blast cabinet we will spot some lettering or words. The ones you pictured are just like them. His centre caps are missing of course. I think with some clean up they will look great. Bummer his are 14" but with some tall skinny 14" tires they should look fine. I will have to post the 15x4" Cragar SS and redline Michelin tires I picked up for my 55' chevy. I just haven't taken pictures of them yet.
    Greg

27. I love this thread!

28. 15 x4 American magnesium 5 spokes from 1963 according to the guy I bought them from 1446192079860.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    elgringo71 likes this.
  29. I've bought another set of skinny slots that I can't find a name on. They say for racing use only on the back and that's all I see. 20141011_165537-1.jpg 20141013_121128-1.jpg

wingnutz likes this.
  30. Those look exactly like a set I ran on a 55 Chevy... I think they're Ansens.

You'll have to take the tire off the rim to see to see the makers mark.

It should be on the very inside of the center inner ring.