Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lars' Mystery Car...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Only thing I can say about it is that with a bit of tweaking I'd drive the wheels off from it. Very cool whatever it is

3. S.F.

S.F.

Looks like a kustomized Woodill Wildfire

Attached Files:

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Jesus I hope not!

5. I see '40 Ford headlights,,,the side slash is sort of Buick'y...

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I would own it and drive the wheels off it
    With a grin you couldn't wipe off

7. Paging @G. Hacker (Geoff Hacker of Forgotten Fiberglass fame) ...

8. 1951 Nash-Healey.jpg Looks more like a customized first series Nash-Healey to me. Hood scoop, door thickness, overall shape.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. flamingokid

flamingokid

Lower it,smooth the sides,low profile windshield,Borrani's .....it's got possibilities. ;)

10. jroberts

jroberts

I agree. It does at the least have some similarities to a Nash-Healy if it not an actual N-H body. Interesting to say the least.

11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I agree on the headlights...first thing that stuck out as familiar.

12. Hemi32, I just sent Geoff, a link to this article. If anybody knows anything, it will be him. I've been to his "fiberglass farm" and it is mind-blowing. That is my 86yr old Hot Rod uncle and 26yr old nephew, on the left. Turns out Unc's winter home is just a stones throw away.

JT
    DSCN6577.JPG

Attached Files:

13. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Hi Gang...here's what I know as of 2008 from a previous owner of this car - Paul Anderson. Paul must have sold it to Lars? Here's the e-mail from Paul ([email protected]). I also uploaded the ebay ad from 2010. Hope this helps.

I am not sure if I have updated you on this car. If not, I have located and talked to the builder (Gordon Tulbet). I have attached a picture taken in 1956 of the car. He lives about 35 miles from here and started the car, as a shop project, when he was a junior in high school. He completed it as his masters project in composite materials.

The reason it was laminated over the steel was that he intended to pull molds off of it and make an entire composite body. As I have worked on it, I made mention that parts of it were built like a boat. Well, guess where he got his fiberglass experience. That's right, building early fiberglass boats. He traded it for a Honda Dream 160 in 1962 and has not heard of it since. To say the least, he and his wife were excited!

He later came back to his old school as an Industrial Arts teacher and later as vocational director. As I am an automotive instructor as well, the car has gone full circle.

In addition, his grandson, although not one of my students, has spent a lot of time in classes down in my technology area. To say the least, He was excited to see his Grandpas car that he had only seen in old, faded pictures!

I will keep you posted.

Paul

Attached Files:

jakespeed63, catdad49 and HEMI32 like this.
  14. robber

robber

There is a lot goin' on here and its hard to tell what this started life as. To me the hood and scoop do look like about a '51 Nash Healey. The inverted Ford headlights are interesting... makes me wonder if this was an early Ford Glaspar roadster? Or... did someone wreck the nose on their Healey, and then come up with this configuration and add the side trim ( which is sort of Buick like)? Beats the Hell out of me??? It's a mystery to me, Lars:)

15. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

16. G. Hacker

G. Hacker