Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Daily drivers...the good, bad and the ugly.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead Brooklyn, Oct 22, 2015.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Sweet 53

2. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Yes there was some great advice on this thread, hopefully it will help others as well! I posted some older pictures in my album, by the end of this weekend I'll get new pictures, show you guys the list of stuff I've already done and what I need to do...stay tuned...

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Beeno,you are as cool as it gets even though you are a jerk! :D HRP

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I bet his mother told him he was Unique, and he tried to not disapoint her to much :cool:

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. My project helps me maintain my sanity and keeps my mind off other things... serious car accident in 2011, a few deaths in the family including my wife in 2014... busy is good!

RiotPirate likes this.
  6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Not as old as your Buick but one of the most dependable vehicles I have ever owned. Served as my daily for over 8 years and is now relegated to parts chaser and trailer tower. Starts regardless of weather even when it has set for a month. I have had to do repairs along the way but I would get in it and go anywhere tomorrow.
    "OL' Yellar" has even towed the T to MOKAN on two different occasions.
    Don't know if that helps ya but felt kind of good brag on the old truck a bit.

GreenMonster48 and RiotPirate like this.
  7. wsdad

wsdad

Here's anther idea: Get a cheap junker for a spare car. I got and old 1994 Toyota for $300. I put another $168 in junkyard parts into it. It's been my spare car for 4 years and my brother has even used it a few times, too. I don't care what it looks like or if it's cool. It just sits in my driveway until I need it. If you got an old truck as your spare, it would really come in handy.

RiotPirate likes this.
  8. My daily is a rough 66 GMC. 1/2 ton factory granny four speed ,250 six. I had to put everything new on the brakes. Electronic ignition. It does ok in traffic because I installed tall 16 inch tires on the rear. It will run 65 all day long. Im planning on changing the entire front crossmember for a disk brake 73 up unit and a taller geared 73 up rearend. and dual master cyl. The GMC rear leaf springs make the rear end swap easy.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
    RiotPirate likes this.
  9. DJ'S48

DJ'S48
    from Austin TX

My kind of friend;).

Well.........I'll throw in a few sentences here. When I buy a classic etc they are never up to snuff IMHO for DD. So since I do not follow the weekend cruise crowd ALL of my cars are driven as they were meant to be .......DD. The first thing I do is go through the brakes, (which you have already done) wheel bearings, cooling system and ensure all lights, directional signals and horn are in working order. If needed replace front suspension components (again you are on top of that with the King Pins). Align front end. Replace any bias tires with good radials. Install seat belts, order extra wipers, bulbs and fuses (keep in trunk). If running points, buy an extra set with condenser (also keep in trunk). A failed condenser is what many overlook when all of sudden your ride fails to fire. Of course you can run the Petronix ignition which will eliminate that issue. Back up the fuel system with an electric pump. Although my 55 Buick did not have the original engine (replaced with a 455 Buick) I replaced the radiator with a new 4" core. Here in Texas it gets damn HOT, especially if you're stuck in traffic. Change fluids as needed on a regular bases, lube front suspension regularly (especially the Buick's). Then enjoy your ride EVERY day.

These machines built America. They went from coast to coast, border to border. Family's migrated from state to state, vacationed and slept in them. I do not fear the American made car of yesteryear. It is the driver of today that I am most concerned with. That being said............I apply the same rules as I would riding my bike. Watch for the unexpected, distracted driver and of course the infamous tailgater. ENJOY!!!!!! It's life

RiotPirate and Arabie777 like this.
  10. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

So so
    So sorry for your loss... :(

11. Drove a 1939 Coupe as my DD for 3 years- heat and defrost my only problem when Winter driving- brakes never a problem as upgraded to Power disc/drum- Enjoy driving yours-

12. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

So I fired her up today and now she's got a tick she didn't have before... :rolleyes: trying to upload the video but I apparently need a degree in rocket science to do it...standby..

13. Likely just a sticky lifter. Change the oil and see if it gets better. Even if the car isn't driveable for a period of time (due to brakes or tires, etc.) start it up occasionally and allow it to get up to temperature. More problems often develop from lack of use than from use. Good luck.

RiotPirate likes this.

14. I know it sounds weird but you might want to try changing the oil and when you do substitute a quart of oil for a quart of atf. The detergents in atf clean tons of shit out of the oil and can stop ticking buy cleaning the crap out of the motor. I have done this for years and it works great. Atf is still oil and it wont fuck your motor just clean it out. Run it for an hour or so then change the oil again. Youll be very surprised how black it is and filled with crap.

15. squirrel

squirrel

upload to youtube, link to youtube video...it's usually not too difficult. Although if you're using a phone, it might have privacy setting issues on the video?

16. wizard0ne0

wizard0ne0
    from Denver

My experience is somewhat limited in the DD old car department, but my 1950 dodge truck has seen daily use fairly often. It has upgraded brakes all the way around as well as a full roll cage so stopping and safety aren't greatly concerning to me. Honestly it is fun, keeps up pretty well on the highway with the current axle ratio even, can cruise at 70mph. Because it is a beat up ugly looking thing that looks like it came straight out of a junkyard I notice people tend not to slam on their brakes in front of me or cut me off which is nice. Never have to worry about dings, dents, or scratches either. MPG isn't fantastic at around 12-14. Overall though I highly recommend it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I' ve been driving this gem daily this year. My Family was visiting from Canada so they had my 'later' model... Now that they went back home I always have to get the late model out of the way cause it is always parked in the wrong spot...
    My dd 55 Chevy has a 235 with 3 on the tree, is reliable as it gets and I've putmore than 6k Miles on it since May1st. image.jpg image.jpg
    Anyway, I try to keep it as well driving and good handling as possible, rattles, squeeks and bad handling will annoy you in no time... So will poor fuel economy... Gothrough your car using the best parts you can get your hands on. Don 't care for paint , just keep the interior nice and comfortable... That is what you see and touch from day to day....
    Go for it!

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I lived where there was no salt on the roads in the winter I would be driving all pre 70 vehicles,even though as they age they need a little attention they are still cheaper to maintain then a latemodel with high miles.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. cfmvw

cfmvw

As much as I enjoy my '60 VW, I don't drive it much even though it's very reliable, enjoyable, and has no problems outrunning traffic with the upgraded suspension and drivetrain; some people just can't drive, though, and I've had a few near-misses by people who were paying more attention to their cell phone than the road, tailgating, or just pulling out in front of me. If it were something larger, like a '56 Buick, I'd probably drive it a lot more!

My daily driver is an OT hot-rodded beater '95 Saturn with a '97 Jetta TDI drivetrain...started life as a parts car my son dragged home until we found the TDI. Also very reliable, fun to drive, 65+ mpg, and I don't have to worry about it because it's so beat-up.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Baumi I wonder how your gas mileage compares with European cars of similar age, size and power? I drove six cylinder American cars and six cylinder Mercedes from the fifties and sixties and there wasn't much difference, in some cases the American cars did better. Not the Chev 235 but the Chrysler slant six 225 and especially 170.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TBI 200, T56, 8.8. 110mph, 32mpg@65. Thumbs-up at almost every intersection.
    [​IMG]

Sprout, Phillips, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty, I 'm getting around 11 to 12 liters per 100kms. I estimate that turns out to about 17 or 18 mpg. I guess the 235 could do better with Electronic igintion and a better carb, but I'm ok with it and really don't want to screw with the car too much, cause it is still unrestored, it still has the first paint, never been welded and is all stock.
    I had a 88 BMW 735i which got 14-15l per 100 kms and later a 88 535i standard trans which took 12-13l.
    I really hope we get a mild Winter over here without salt on the roads. Otherwise I'd have to get a new battery for the late Model:) hahahah
    Edit: i just found an online calculator mpg to l/100kms. My estimate was wrong, it's more like 20-21 mpg.

RiotPirate and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Diavolo

Diavolo

Was going to say go for it if you are willing to work on it, but you already decided so Congrats!

As for the tick, might just be a stuck lifter, etc. Once it's running good and gets an oil change, it might just go away.

RiotPirate likes this.
  24. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

[​IMG]

heres my daily driver of the past 8 years....90,000 km's so far...lotsa stone chips,one flattened kangaroo ,2 windscreens and still going strong

25. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

1951 aloha green

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and RiotPirate like this.
  26. rjones35

rjones35

Good Job!! I remember when I was a kid driving beaters because thats what I had. Tools and jugs of water in the trunk, or backseat because of the holes in the trunk. No fun in the winter, or summer sometimes, but that was okay. Those were the days..... Enjoy!!

RiotPirate likes this.
  27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Most people learn the hard way. My dad had a saying - "Never borrow money to buy a depreciating asset." 'Course I never listened to that advice till I learned... the hard way.

When I was 16 dad was so stupid I could hardly stand to keep the old guy around, but he got smarter as I aged I reckon. /s

Amortized over many years vintage cars and trucks are CHEAP to operate and insure, but better make sure it's something you want to live with for a while. I used my old pickup as a daily for a while but was pretty diligent about keeping up on things and attention to detail. It would start everytime at -10F. Everyone bases their opinions on someone who drives an old POS clapped out ride and think the cars weren't any good, drum brakes wore out, leaf springs shot, steering components wallered out etc.

They aren't particularly luxury rides but they do OK if you're willing to put forth the effort and can be very gratifying. It's tough to justify spending $$ on an old ride, because at one level it doesn't pencil out. Nobody "needs" a 60 year old ride. But, they do need to be safe and reliable, or what's the point.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. I'd do it. Shoot, 50's cars are late models.

29. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Good to hear Your All In!) A couple things I do when putting "sitting" cars on the road, I read you did brakes, if you didn't change the three rubber houses two front,one rear that's a Must, assuming you already did the master cylinder, next fuel pump! They will usually work for awhile... But will fail not that far in the future, sometimes they will piss gas in your oil also(doubt it's your lifter problem but check dipstick for scent of gas) I would definitely since its your dd go with a GM internally regulated alternator...and a electric wiper motor if not already... Cheers

And all us Guy's think we have to deal w/the gas station conversation... Damn!)

30. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

[​IMG]

Bam!, 19 years dd/only vehicle in January '16

Dusty-NZ likes this.