Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What do I have and What is it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goad, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Goad

Goad

Long story short: I inherited this car. It has been stored in an open wooden crate outside for years here in Vegas. Not sure what it is, but I have had a few people speculate.

As much as I would love to build this car, I already have 3 ongoing projects and I don't have room for a 4th.

Looks to have the body, 2 doors, 2 door skins, front fenders, running boards, 1 rear fender, windshield frame, dashboard, and various other parts including other window frames. Major items that are missing is the hood and grill.

Any idea what it is? and what is it worth? Anyone interested in taking this off my hands? Located in Las Vegas area.

20151023_120547.jpg 20151023_120555.jpg 20151023_120602.jpg 20151023_120612.jpg 20151023_120621.jpg 20151023_120628.jpg 20151023_120633.jpg

2. Goad

Goad

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking 1930 Oldsmobile. The rear body detail and the spear on the cowl are dead on to that, but I don't know if the GM collective of that time used those features on others. Olds on the cowl detail for sure, but sorry, I don't want it.

4. fargoguy

fargoguy

I think it's a Mopar- either Desoto or Plymouth - 1930 is the year.

Dave Mc likes this.

5. F&J

F&J

I thought Mopar too. The thing that throws me off is the way the lower cowl band gets tightened in that oval slot. and... The dash lacks the oval center medallion that had the Fedco ID number, but that ended around 30 or so, on Mopar.

The running boards with those sections...looks mopar

31Dodger on here, would know for sure, if it is a Mopar.

EDIT: if it really is Mopar, it must be Dodge because it looks like the cowl shows steel subrails. 30 ply would be wood sills. And Olds would have had wooden sills back then

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  6. Resembles a 1930 Dodge. HRP

[​IMG]

7. I am positive that it's a 1931 DeSoto....most of the Chrysler products were VERY similar in 1930-31, but with no cowl vents either on the top or sides of the cowl, it has to be a 1931 DeSoto. The dash is 1931 DeSoto. The Plymouth looks nearly identical except the Plymouth had no cowl lamps and the Plymouth cowl is more narrow than the DeSoto, Dodge and Chrysler. desoto 4.JPG

Attached Files:

8. Might do yourself a favor and do an intro unless your just trying to sell your stuff.

X38 and wbrw32 like this.
  9. F&J....thanks for the vote of confidence.
    John

10. DSC00211.JPG Regarding the FEDCO plate (yes....last year for those was 1930)....the serial number plate would have been on the passenger side 'A' pillar in 1931 and I see where it used to be on your car. It would have looked like this....

11. F&J

F&J

Hi John, I just looked closer at the passenger front door hinge post....It still has the Mopar Serial number tag?, I believe I see it

EDIT>>>You beat me to it by a few seconds :)

12. HRP....the 1930 Dodge has the cowl vents located on the sides, but the body is very similar to the DeSoto.

13. The interior window garnish moldings for that DeSoto will fit the 1931 Plymouth and Chrysler, also.

14. Goad

Goad

So is it safe to say its a '31 Desoto?

Thanks for the input. I figured I should at least know what I have before I try to sell it. Now if I can figure out what its worth so I'm asking a fair price

15. I would say yes. As far as what it's worth....best to put it on Ebay and you will get the most watchers. You can go there and look at the "completed listings" to see if anything like it has been sold and what it sold for. You have a lot of good parts there.

16. Goad

Goad

So I did some extensive searching as suggested to get an idea of what this is worth and I have yet to find anything near to what I have. I'd throw it on ebay, but I don't even have an idea what to set the reserve for or an amount to start the bids at. Also looked around for some sort of desoto classifieds or forums and had no luck. I am not even sure if this is the right place to be asking these questions as I am not an expert in this field at all.

I'm not looking to score the lottery with this, nor am I looking to give it away. Just not sure what a fair price is to ask. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

17. F&J

F&J

It was a 4 door, so the B pillar is between the doors. Those are there, laying next to running boards. I can't see all the smaller cut pieces, to see any C pillars...they must be there...?

anyways, look at the two rear door pieces that have the door handle hole, not the pieces of rear doors with hinge edges.

Look at the interlocking tabs they cut on the rear door half, which must fit into the notches on the rear body section. They were building a 2 door sedan.

If I was selling that pile; I'd mock up the cowl, the two front doors, and the planned out rear section, to make a good pic of how it could look. Clamp or tie it together for some pics. Most buyers would build a fenderless car, so skip all those related things in the mockup

18. Welcome to HAMB, you could introduce yourself.

19. Goad

Goad

Sure deal...

My name is Brad. I live in Vegas and I like to restore jet boats. This is a '78 Liberty I built to race. Has a 750 hp 513ci BBF in it. GOPR0019_1423339882634_high.JPG

turboroadster and 1927graham like this.
  20. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

"I'm not looking to score the lottery with this, nor am I looking to give it away. Just not sure what a fair price is to ask. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks"

Put it on the auction site. High bid will most likely be a fair price. The market might not be real strong for a bunch of old parts, compared to a complete running car. Put your starting bid close to what you would like to get. No offers, then you know you need to lower the price.

21. Put it on for $100, let the market decide a price and be on your way.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with X38's post above.
    In my observation, 'no reserve' auctions on eBay get the best results....i.e., the most bids.
    Any bidder knows the best bid will take the item and they don't have to wonder what the reserve is.
    That seems to promote competition.

Ray

23. Topper

Topper

I sure would be interested in your parts if you never got around to advertising them.

24. town sedan

town sedan

It's probably gone this thread dates to October 2015.
    -Dave

25. Goad

Goad

This is so weird. How did you even come across this thread?

I literally sold it this morning.

town sedan likes this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

No kidding, I was gonna offer you 10K for the lot!

27. Goad

Goad

Lol I'll go buy it back for that price!

28. Budget36

Budget36

29. Goad

Goad

But in all seriousness.... This is so weird that he replied to this today. I'm not kidding that I just sold it this morning.

town sedan and Budget36 like this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

That is freakish for sure.

town sedan likes this.