Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Daily drivers...the good, bad and the ugly.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead Brooklyn, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

So it's been a while since I've actually posted on here, so hello again from Nashville...as some of you heard, I traded my '59 Ford F100 project for a rad 1951 Colt 1911...lol. Since then, I've dragged a 1956 Buick Special 4 door out of Memphis, TN. She's got the original 322 Nailhead with 42k original miles which purrs like a kitten. The body is solid and I've done all the floor work, I haven't worked on her in about a year, poor little paperweight (has anyone else been beaten down this year? Good god man!) Anyways, long story short, I recently got into a car accident (seriously is it 2016 yet?) and I was told today that my daily (R.I.P. Jetta) is heading to the gallows...I've truly been considering just putting the money I get back from the loss (not much) and just dumping it into the Buick and using that as my daily. I've spent literally hours and hours scouring the old 'net until my eyes crossed and I am still on the fence. I am dead tired of car payments, I've been wanting to get Gladys on the road for almost 2 years now. Again, I've read and searched, searched and read and I know I'm beating a dead horse but I need the good, the bad and the ugly on using a 60 year old car as a daily driver, any advice on updates, upgrades, safety, insurance, etc will be extremely helpful. I've got to make a decision here shortly...

RiotPirate aka NailheadBrooklyn

2. squirrel

squirrel

Old cars are not very safe compared to new cars. Even so, the odds of you getting in a wreck are still pretty low, if you keep the car maintained and drive carefully.

The biggest problem might be getting parts to fix stuff that breaks. Like fuel pump, water pump, voltage regulator, brake master cylinder, transmission, wheel bearings...just the normal stuff that we used to have to replace occasionally. If you have to order parts and it takes a few days to get them, or maybe have to send parts off to get rebuilt, it can put you in a bind if you need to get to work every day.

I just have liability insurance on my old cars, and if something happens to them I just have to absorb the loss. You might or might not be able to get an "agreed value" insurance policy on a daily driven old car from a normal insurance agency, but most of the specialty insurance places won't do it.

You could upgrade parts of the car, but it's really not necessary, if you just get everything working right. They were good cars, with good performance, adequate brakes, etc. Some folks think you can't drive a car with drum brakes, you'll die if you try...but they're wrong. My wife put a couple hundred thousand miles on her Dart with drums, I've put that many on a few old truck with drums. You do have to drive accordingly.

In the end, it's up to you. If you go for it, you'll have some challenges, but you'll get to be the only one on the road riding in real style....it could be worth it.

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  3. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Sorry to hear you had an accident, that sucks! The 2 most important items in having a classic car as a daily driver, in my opinion are the brakes, and the cooling system. You want to have brakes that will stop and if your cooling system isn't great make sure your temp gauge works so that if you see the temp rising you can pull over and let it cool off. Not, ideal but better than overheating! Of course you want everything to be golden. But those are the areas that are most important to me. P.S. once you drive a classic car as a daily.... you will never go back!!

Rui, 331, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.
  4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, RP;
    You asked... :D . :
    Post isn't negative, just some things I've found over the years.
    It depends on how decent the Buicks' running gear, ancillary, electrical, fuel systems are. If they are top-notch, use as a DD isn't too bad. I'm guessing TN has nicer weather than MN, esp from say, Nov -> Apr. Winter here isn't much fun in an old car, for a whole lot of reasons, including other drivers, not to mention lousy road conditions.

I used a '64 Stude Crusier more-door 289/3spOD(w/o twin-traction) as a DD for ~3 years. Eventually the floor & A-post support rot, + the carb issues got to me. Winter sucked so bad I parked it - permanently. I had gone through the running gear, rest wasn't bad, but not near as nice to drive as a newer car in winter.
    Had a '65 Dodge D-200 pu sl6/4sp also as a DD. What a PITA. That one cured me of using old cars/trucks as DD, since I hadn't gone through things prior. I was constantly fixing/repairing all kinds of small & large problems - just to go to work. Got real old, real fast, esp in winter, lasted for ~ 2 years. Then got used as needed basis to haul stuff.
    Did a '47 ford pu w/a flathead v/8, but had a pacer front end w/disc brakes, & new wiring, + late-model wiper motor assmbly, heater, etc/etc. 3-point belts on oem seat. Radial tires. ~ 3 yrs DD.
    Others in distant past:
    '51 ford vicky was a total stocker. Not fun in winter. 6 volt was just fine, oddly enough.
    '59 Chev bel air. Mostly stock, was fun car, even in winter.
    '62 Karmann Ghia. Chopped custom. Unfinished, but ok, even in winter.

Had ~ 4 later model awd (AMC, IH) that are a bit late for this forum, but personal rules still applied. I set them all up so's they'd be safe enough for my wife to use. (except distant past ones).

I do std insur on my drivers - new & old. Easier that way, but nothing's rare, either.

As far as safety, I added belts in all of them. I do fear other 'drivers'. Unpredictable = dangerous. I've seen way too much, & had too many near-misses to be complacent & trusting anymore. I'm also old enough to have grown up before radial tires were even remotely common. I changed from bias to radials as fast as I could - never went back - & don't ever see going back. Over-priced C**** stuff be damned. Radials make a huge difference in stopping/cornering/handling/ride/ect. Nope, they don't look 'trad'. Too bad, so sad. I prefer disc/disc, or disc/drum, but Squirrel is correct; a *good* set of drums - say, the largest offered by the oem - & correctly set-up/adj, do work well. You do need to be mindful of the terrain you are in, + the traffic levels, they do have some limitations. I also update the wiring & lighting to as good as I can put in. I like to see well as night, & getting older doesn't help. ;( . Also, at least the front seat(s) should be updated/rebuilt for comfort. It does reduce stress on longer drives, helps the attitude (+ the butt n back).

Because of this, & mostly due to life getting in the way, I no longer use old stuff as DD. That hopefully will change soon. :) .

They do have a nice feel to them as DD, but only when things are very well done. I would call them a "reacher" or a "beater". Or just a DD. :D . You do get noticed on the road, & that can be good or bad, depending on how the other people react. Had them move into my lane - in heavy traffic - just to get a better look. Had them refuse to look as I/they went by. Last is funny, 1st is not. I learned to approach the old car driving like I do when riding the bike. Lots of awareness of surroundings, esp other people, & caution, leaving myself an out. In traffic, that can be a challenge. But, worked out well. As far as fixing-parts go, I learned to have spares for the common stuff. Which can lead to pack-rat-itis, if not careful.

If the buick is close to being capable of DD (reacher)status, go for it. Otherwise, maybe not right now, & a cheap safe throwaway junker would suffice - for 6 mo to get the buick ready.

BTW; Forgot to mention. The level of traffic & population density of the area you live in, will make a huge difference in what is needed to drive safely. Not sure of Nashville, but I live in the Twin Cities, MN. Depending on when & where I drive, even a late model can be a hassle, much less an old car that is mostly a stocker. An upgraded version, = street rod type, different story. :) .

FWIW.

Marcus...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

5. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Hey thanks for the responses folx! I've already done a good once over on the brakes, I will be tearing it all down again to put in my new king pins and switch out the springs to give her a 3-4" static drop, so since I'll be looking under her skirt, I'll be rechecking the brakes yet again...I've already pulled the radiator to have it pressure tested, and I've already replaced all the hoses... I let her run for about an hour or so after I put the radiator back in and so far no issues. Nothing worse then having to lug around gallons of water in the trunk "just in case", been there, done that!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Not to sound depressing, but to very important things to remember saftey and insurance.

If you wreck it you will get hurt, but of if you can walk away from it, but ypu total a rare car, you invested a lot of time in, that you can't replace.
    That really suck.

But find you an old enough beater and enjoy life as its surpose to be.

But if you want Hamb friendly(ish) and but want it non-rare, I would recommend a volvo 544.

They run good, handle good, parts are avalible both hop up or keep going parts. Its all UNF/UNC.

It looks like a small 1946 Ford, you could say it's a it's half the size for half the price, has half the cylinders and run twice the MPG and get the same SPM, smiles pr miles.

There are disc brake kits avalible, but they fit from a lot of other Volvo's. They comes with 3, 4 and OD trans. Most part interchange between pre-90 cars. They are very strong, most are set up with seat belt anchors stock.

And if you comes in a big crash, you don't ride off something rare.

Attached Files:

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My nephew has a 41 Chevy with the original 216, 3 speed, torque tube axle, stock brakes and steering and he drives to work every day, from Norwalk,CA to his work in Ontario,CA. That's about 37 miles one way. He takes it up to 65 m.p.h on the freeway and for a 74 year old car being used as a daily driver just goes to show that those old cars still got it.

8. Always liked the looks of this Volvo.:cool: I guess because it does look like a small Ford.:) I have to say you have the best one I have ever seen.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: It would be really cool with a 265 cu.in. Chevy motor:rolleyes:

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes they are good, dependable and looks the part. That ain't mine, I just like it, and found the pics on here.

Yes they would be cool with a 264, but I would run the BBBN, British Build Baby Nailhead. But that's just me.

Its a matter of traffic, weather and distance! I would love to run a 41 chevy everyday, but I can't do d that kind of cash, but gas cost me a lot more then you guys pay.

This is my volvo, I used to DD it before I got a house and the need for a van/estate/baby hauler.

It has a 121 mill, twin dellortos, hot cam, head work, 2" inch exhaust, 4 OD, 4.11 rear, discs in front, searbelts, now it has 5.5x15 reversed steelies and radials. It can hold its own and do 10 ish KM/L, and does 100 mph all day long.

Attached Files:

Raiman1959, Tn. Trash and ct1932ford like this.
  10. My daily isn't that old but around my area its one of the older dailys, 86 c10 truck. My brothers daily a 71 c10 and 68 c20. As others have said just make sure its reliable and most everything works. If i had to drive cross country i would choose one of those 3 trucks over my wifes 02 expedition. If you drive old cars you know there quirks and how to deal with them

54stude and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Everyone has super valid points, and sadly I am still on the fence...lol. Typical. o_O

12. indyjps

indyjps

I grew up in a town of 10,000 and used old cars as daily drivers. I live in the Chicago suburbs now and wouldn't even consider it.
    Depends on where you are, I would recommend another used jetta. When you old car becomes a job to keep going so you can get to your job, it gets old fast. Employers don't want to hear I was late with car trouble.

No reason you can't get the buick going and drive it a couple days a week.

Pics of the 1911 would be appreciated.

I've bought DD on ebay, search lowest price or buy it now in a 40 mile radius, no other criteria, some interesting inexpensive things pop up.l and they're close enough to check out.

13. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

One thing about driving these daily, get ready for eveybody and their mom to talk to you if you stop for anything. My wife still gets upset when we're trying to get somewhere and so and so won't stop talking to me in the gas station.

Then again, she's always in a hurry but since I drive the 54 everyday, I'm used to taking my time.

15. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I use my 46 Chevy coupe about half & half with my Hummer for daily drivers for now. Converted to a 235 CI engine with goodies so it is good to go on the Hwy. I have a bit to go on the Chevy to make it my regular full time driver but am getting there. Likely by next spring I will only use the Hummer for trailer towing or in bad weather. I have a low water crossing on my property & I have had 16" of water flowing across my driveway following heavy storms. For that it is Hummer time. The Hummer now has 165K & the Chevy only 106K so the Chevy needs to do some catching up.
    You should be able to find any mechanical or electrical parts without trouble but some body parts could take a bit of looking for. I can find anything I need for the Chevy but many parts are going to be repop's instead of OEM but that will keep it running.
    Was the 56 one of the years that had the Aluminum engine? Over many years that could be a bit of a wear issue depending on how regular the oil changes were & how hard it was driven.
    My 46 is soon turning 70 & is still a solid, no rust car so depending on whether it is garage kept or not is a big issue for the old stuff.
    Good luck, Jimmie

16. stimpy

stimpy

one thing to remember on a older car of pre 70's is they are maintaince intensive , not like todays cars of jumping in a drive and filling it up every so often , so you do have to spend time to keep up on it ( brake adjustments , oil changes ect ) . fall behind and problems start building quick . IMO try to find a newer used DD and this way you do not have the big payments like a new car , but have the reliability to get to work and back . and its basically not your driving its the other idiots out there that crunches cars ... I about got run off the road 4 times hauling my car to the house on a trailer by morons gapping at it on the trailer ..

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say too is go for it. Get a late model back up car or truck for the parts reasons posted. As to drum brakes, don't you have some hilly terrain in TN? Drums fade fast so to err on the side of caution is good. At swap meets or in classifieds (here and elsewhere) don't be afraid to shag spare parts when you see em. Have a place for that stuff and create your own parts source as needed. Yes, maybe even the occasional fender or bumper as long as you can store it for yourself. I live 5 miles from the shop so an old daily is a no-brainer. Mine will be much older but will see full use chasing parts, seeing clients, going to lunch (might be a long lunch sometimes!). Just do it. Nothing makes the same smile you get from the inside as driving vintage iron. Not to be too personal, but it sounds like you need it too. However, all of that positive aside, you don't share the build/use with us we're going to form a posse and take it away from you, so there...:eek:

lothiandon1940 and RiotPirate like this.
  18. I used to have two dailys.. in case one crapped out on me, worked really well. One was a station wagon so I could chase parts too. I want to be able to drive my Ford year-round once I get it together, that's why I have upgraded the brakes, have a heater and wiper motor. I'm a bit spoiled now with my newer cars, I don't think I could drive an old car all the time and have it fit every driving situation.

19. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Attached Files:

20. I drove my avatar most days for the last three years, but sadly sold out recently, and brought a V8 Land Rover. :p
    The Hudson (avatar) gave me a lot of pleasure to be using it daily, but as others have said, they need more maintaining, and now I have all manner of work I need to do.
    Being a car guy, I don't mind the extra work, and the buzz it gives me is more than worth it. I don't care if others like it, but most do, so that's a bonus.
    So for now, I got to suffer the comforts of power windows, smooth V8 power, permanent four wheel drive, very comfortable interior, no rattles or squeaks, five doors and seven seats. :eek:
    I still take the Hudson for a blast every two weeks, it rattles clunks and bangs along, has gears to manually change, and is mostly uncomfortable.
    I can't wait till I've fixed the things needed, and I can get back to using it regularly.

Raiman1959 and Arabie777 like this.
  21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

this might sound sexsictic, but is that you in your avetar?
    Do you do your own wrenching? because its a pain to drive an old car as DD, and pay for some one else to do the wrenching. and if they cant fix it rigth away, you cant go to Work. and that would suck, big time!!

Regarding the Buick, it would be a good candidate for a DD, give it a quick paint job, and a small upgrade in drive train, and depending of the traficc (densety, speed and length of commute) think about brakes.

If you get snow, highway, rush hour and do 50 miles and above a day, i would go to disc for saftey and easy maintinance.
    But for 50 miles or less a week, and no snow and two-lane-blacktop, a stocker with better carb and ignition (read new) would do nicely.

22. squirrel

squirrel

Probably get some lights back on it, and some door handles, and then get it running good, make sure the chassis is gonna stay together, and go for it.

Even if you can't make it work, at least you tried.

RiotPirate likes this.
  23. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Yes that's me and yes I wrench, I also shoot guns, swear too much and gamble...

24. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

And remember......highway miles aren't nearly as hard on a daily driver as city miles.

25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

A couple quick things to note. If you are daily driving your classic, you can forget the savings of a speciality auto insurance policy. There are provisions in a collector policy that require that you maintain another vehicle as a daily driver and that you don't drive your classic to work on a frequent basis. While the collector policy is pennies on the dollar compared to a standard auto policy, it is that way because of the restrictions put in place by the language of the policy. If you bullshit the insurance company and something happens where you need to file a claim, they can and will disclaim coverage, leaving you to bear the burden yourself. Worse yet, you could be referred to your State's insurance fraud prosecutor for rate evasion and possibly face criminal prosecution. Serious shit.

I've driven classic cars everyday, and late models as well. It depends on your situation. If you live in an area that doesn't have loads of traffic, and where you don't drive too far, then maybe an old car is an acceptable form of daily transportation. But if you live in a warm climate (as I see you do), drive a lot of miles, or just don't want to constantly maintain a vehicle, then maybe you should get something newer to kick around everyday and leave the Buick as a recreational vehicle.

I was halfway through law school when my daily driver '98 Mustang was totalled. The insurance company paid me out just fine (the accident wasn't my fault), but I was stuck with no newer cars and no real income as a full time student and part-time clerk. My '63 Fairlane was pressed into daily duty, which it did admirably with a SBF/C4 combo. It was cold and drafty in the winter, the floor had a huge rot hole where the carpet would flap in the wind at highway speed. The seat was disintegrating under my ass day by day and eventually there was a hole so big I put a barstool top in it and mexican blanket over it. The vents would blow 40+ years of leaves and debris all over me. I'd get to work (in a suit) usually covered in dust. In the summer, I would sweat like crazy with no air conditioning. The exhaust was so loud I couldn't hear myself think. Eventually I had to suck it up and buy a newer car, which I found in a 2008 Ford Escape (2.3 4 cyl/5 speed manual/2wd). I was tired of having to deal with the nuances and downfalls of the beater classic. I wouldn't have it any other way now. I drive 20K+ a year, so fuel milage matters. I don't want to get beat up by my car, and having something that handles crisply and stops well and predictably is important as I do battle in the commute through north NJ. Having a decent stereo and good climate controls are a big bonus. The parts are also inexpensive and the basic Escape is easy to work on, so regular maintenance and repairs are still done in house.

Maybe it'd be worth looking into one of those real lame Kias as a daily and then save the rest of the dough for the Buick? Like $1200 down and $99 a month for a brand new car under warranty is a score for something you don't have to worry about.

Also, though I don't know if I'd trade a car for it, your 1911 is awesome. Definitely on my list of guns to own.

26. Terraizer

Terraizer

For the last 2 years this has been my daily driver. I have to agree be ready to be talked to every time you stop somewhere and be ready for thumbs ups going down the road. I work from home so i don't need to get any where in a hurry. It i FLORENCE2014 006.JPG NSRAPueblo2014(2) 017.JPG s not a hot rod (does have a Porter muffler) but fun none the less and i Love it.

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I say do it just get up a little earlier and so you have time to enjoy it.

pat59 likes this.
  28. Well I don't currently have a daily driver ( yes it has been a very rough year hasn't it).

This 37 year old wonder has actually been my daily for about the last 3 years. I get cold and wet sometimes or just cold when it is below 30 here.

[​IMG]

I am getting a little long in the tooth and don't heal as well as I used to so I am building a new old heap for when the snow flies.

front pass three quarter.jpg

Hopefully by later 2016 it will be drivable, rough no doubt but drivable.

This was my driver for about 80K when I first joined the HAMB.

[​IMG]

None of this makes me the cool guy it is just how I get about.

There is a lot of good insight to driving an old heap here:

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/large-learning-curve.967092/

29. Judd

Judd

This is my daily driver all original. I used a 56 Special as daily for 5 or so years, even drove it to Chicago and back twice.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and RiotPirate like this.