Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Y- BROCK Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garage2small, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Great formula for the build. I'm a lover of Y blocks & A's on Deuce rails. Looking forward to seein' more.

2. garage2small

garage2small

32owner it is a narrow flange 4speed top loader from an early Mustang, bolts right up no adapter required. I believe the early T 5's were available in a narrow flange version also.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. garage2small

garage2small

More progress to come as soon as we return from TROG. Leaving in the morning!

4. 32owner

32owner

looking forward to them

5. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Nice car!Like them Y Block powered A's

6. Getting the body mounted and all the subrails layed out for the 32' chassis. We decided to relocate the stock seat riser back about 5" and making new cross braces and inner subrail flanges. I also took the original rear brace and moved it forward so it's sitting on the end of the frame.

Attached Files:

mctim64, kiwijeff, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  7. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

That thing is really looking nice. Good choice of engine. Also noticed you have a late model 292 block. Ford finally did away with the front draft tube hole but the blank flange is still there. I have the same block. I also noticed the heads-They are the earlier vareity with freeze plugs in the ends. They would not be my choice to rebuild but they will get you by. Much better choices are out there with out to much effort. Of course if the money is there go with Mummert's aluminum heads. Lots of money saved in the long run.

8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Looking good!!!!! What are you going to do with the fire wall?

9. Johnny Suede

Johnny Suede

10. garage2small

garage2small

The heads were just part of the package deal with the block ,rear end, and tranny, not sure whicch direction I'll go, but I hear you loud and clear about those not being the best choice.

11. garage2small

garage2small

Thanks glad you like it.
    The stock firewall is in very good shape, so will probably just modify it for clearance, or just reverse it. How cool is that, acknowledgement from "BCCHOPPIT ON THE HAMB" LOL

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I am in the air for my Tudors fire wall
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445608441.184571.jpg

Stogy, AHotRod and crminal like this.
  13. Hey Bill, I'm leaning towards moving the firewall back so it's flush with the lip of the cowl and doing a pocket for the distributor. I looked at flipping it but it seems like it will be really far back. We will post pics when we get it figured out.

14. 32owner

32owner

move and notch will look great

15. Nice build so far! I'm In... Subscribed

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

The problem I am having with flipping the fire wall is you don't gain that much room if any at the bottom. Is the frame stock dimensions?

17. It's a stock length 32' frame. I think the 32' frame gains 2-3" or so compared to a model A frame.

18. Got the subrails all layed out and the seat riser moved back as far as it would go. Back of the body is shaping up.

Attached Files:

AHotRod and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. AHotRod

AHotRod

This is a sweet Hot Rod !

20. Seat box is all welded in and the rear wheel wells are getting welded up. This car should have plenty of room with the stock seat thinned out.

Attached Files:

21. Coming along nicely, great work!

22. Going to get chopped somewhere between 4" and 5". Thanks!

lothiandon1940 and laidout53 like this.
  23. garage2small

garage2small

Progress has resumed on the Y-BROCK Coupe. Jim fabricated a new firewall and rolled out a really cool bubble to clear the distributor ,and Mike replaced the rear lower panel, lower body cross member, and new wheel well panels with the bottom formed to follow the curve of the frame. . 20151202_163802.jpg 20151202_163816.jpg 20151201_173300.jpg 20151201_174919.jpg

Tim, mctim64, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  24. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Great looking A coupe! Looking forward to more progress pictures!

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Really liked your follow up on the rear wheel well attachment to the new sub frame.
    I'll be doing that to my '27 tub, atop my ASC '32 rails...

(such a pity to have to 'sweep' the rear sub frame, it just plopped right down on the 'A' rails! But they sure made this tub look 'SKIN-NEY'.........):D

26. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Good choice on the firewall treatment. Like.

27. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Just my 2¢, and you may already know of this guy-but "fordloverracing" might be a good choice for you as an engine builder, since he's in your hometown. Veteran Holman-Moody guy I believe.
    Also I'm sayin' a little prayer for you and the ford 2-4 setup :) Can't hardly beat 'em for looks, but take lotsa love with the teapot carbs if that's the way you go. Definitely a good vintage look.

loudbang likes this.
  28. garage2small

garage2small

Yes I had the good fortune to meet Rick Toombs a few months back and spend a couple of hours with him at his shop, he is a super nice and humble guy and an unbelievable wealth of Ford performance knowledge, lots of good H-M stories. I heard about the problems with the "teapot" carbs, so I won't use them, if I go with the dual quad set up. I also have a single 4 intake, so may use that, might also look for a 3 x 2 .

29. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

That 2X4 manifold will require adaptors to run a Holley bolt pattern carb.Speedway has them cheap.If you really want vintage carbs small base WCFBs or 4CG rochesters should work.If you want you can use 2 500 cfm edelbrocks with adaptors.Works just fine.

loudbang likes this.