Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1950's period correct hot rods.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldebob, Dec 27, 2009.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's fifties teen heart-throb, Ricky Nelson in the car, and his brother standing beside it. The car was used in the Ozzie and Harriett TV series, where it was driven by Ricky Nelson. Some people even refer to the Tony La Masa car as the "Ricky Nelson roadster", but that kinda seems weird to me.

volvobrynk and MannyK like this.
  2. I remember watching that episode. Ricky wasn't a Hart Throb for me but the Roadster sure got my attention. Wonder if that has anything to do with my Current Roadster project.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

volvobrynk, brad2v and falcongeorge like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ha, yea, me too! I only had eyes for the deuce! Nice looking project.

4. Thanks. That photo is about 2 years old. It's made some progress but not running yet. My Merc project crowded it out for a while.
    The Wizzard

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That '32 coupe in post 768 is missing it's crank hole in the grille...usually that's a tell of a newer build. Not saying that was "never" done back then, but seldom seen. Otherwise spot on !

falcongeorge, brad2v and verde742 like this.
  6. bct

bct

I think i am out of line here. I thought based on the title of this thread it should be about modern cars built 50s period correct. I have trouble understanding that all hot rods built in the 50s wouldnt be period correct.? What else would they be. All of the 50s builds i own and have seen with my own eyes have full on safety issues and a general rough crude style. Sure there are the magazine cars that are in the top percentile but for the average guy i dont think the style shown most here (plagurized magazine photos) was ever within reach. Nostalgia has a way of skewing the truth. Back under my rock now with apologies to all.

7. bct; Maybe I should have added a Recipet list of what my 30 has for parts. Model A frame rails with frame horns not Bobbed. Frame rails Not Z'd. Headlights mounted on a modified Model A headlight bar. Closed drive rear axle with trailing arms not split. 39 trans with 39 brake and clutch pedals. Dropped I beam axle with front bones not split. A real 32 grill shell and stock insert (read that, crank hole still there). F-1 front motor mount brackets not carved out of steel plate and welded up crap. Knee action shocks. 37 Ford throttle lincage. 37 Ford dash with Stock gauges, radio and working glove box. 40 Ford steering box, column tube not cut with stock column mount with working ign switch. 40 Ford steering wheel. Hand built headers and will have full length under the car exhaust with 45 year old new Smithy mufflers. Drum brakes on all 4 corners with 50 Merc wheels and caps. Channeled 6 inches with a stock model A firewall and a bench seat. Oh ya, that's a 1938 Flat motor. Discounting the New sheet metal used for the floors the 1953 F-100 brakes are the newest parts on the car. It's even still 6 volt with Cloth Wrapped wire from Rhode Island Wire. I think it was about 6 years ago I started this build.
    Are you feeling better yet?
    The Wizzard

36 ROKIT, brad2v and Sancho like this.
  8. I don't think anyone would have a problem with including newer built hot rods, as long as they are absolutely era correct. Whether that constitutes a safety issue or not isn't germane to this particular discussion.

And as for 'roughness'...I spent about 3 hours at this year's Round Up hanging out with Roy Drapal and literally crawling over his sweet little A coupe (completed in 1955 without the advantage of power tools or electricity). Mr. Roy laughs that even the air in the tubes is from '55. The car is as it was the day it was finished. I defy you to tell me this isn't a high-quality build...IMO, it was easily in the top 10% of the cars that showed up the Round Up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EVL401, volvobrynk, 36 ROKIT and 4 others like this.
  9. verde742

verde742

look between the deuce and the 56 chev wagon, whata think? looks SUV ta me..

no cowl vent, flat firewall, probably FG... imo

10. The first two posts in this thread are pics from back then so I assumed that from the beginning that was what it was about. Maybe I am the one out of line. I posted some features from magazines, yes. Nothing was "plagiarized" as no claim was being made as to the photos or articles being my work. In fact when I post those that is why I include the pages direct from the source, I don't remove the titles or dates. I had posted some as separate threads and took the comments with a grain of salt, especially on the "Building a Chevmobile" article that Falcongeorge and I both thought other people might be interested in seeing.
    I thought they would fit in here as reference more than anything else. This thread is posted in the Traditional Hot Rods forum so it is more narrow in scope (see post 763). I still don't buy that magazine cars were all in the top percentile and out of reach, for instance this one with its plywood bed: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/roadster-pick-up-circa-1955.994737/
    I probably took the above comments more personal than I should have. This is one of those situations that illustrates why some members have such low post count. I have more that I would like to post and guess I can go back to doing separate threads on them, that way I'm not stepping on toes or skewing history in someone else's post.

11. Verde, there is no doubt that is a "modern" photo. I took the question to be whether it's an old build that is still around or a current car built in the old style.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  12. Post 'em here. It's all good. From here on out, I'm deleting everything that doesn't focus on period perfect 1950's style hot rods ;)

13. i recently noticed in my post #675, my car didn't have garnish moldings on it.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Colour pic from Andy Southards book "Hot Rods of the Fifties" Monterey Kar-Kapades, 1956
    Listed as hood made by Jack Hageman. Another one of those badly built, slung together POS's that were everywhere in the fifties...
    ScanImage002.jpg ScanImage004.jpg

Note that this is mid-fifties, and the hood side panels are retained with Dzus buttons.

15. If your car isn't period correct, then none of 'em are! Straight outa the little pages.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Valid points. I guess it comes down to where we set the bar. If it were just down to me, I'd rather see this thread actually be restricted to period pics, so guys can reliably use them as reference material for how it was done. But then, some guys don't like people posting period pics.

daddio211 and Sancho like this.
  17. George, what year is that issue of Hot Rod? I'm curious as to which version is more recent. There is a lot more striping on the magazine version, including the edges of the grill shell and flames at the ends of the louvers on the hood sides. I would assume the Hot Rod pics are of a later version.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You are correct. The magazine article is in August '57, that's the one with Ivos T-bucket on the cover.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Sancho likes this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm super scared to get Moderated on here by Gary but... George someone please set my head right on this, who the hell would be troubled by maybe having to pass over a period pic on a "traditional"(air quote) thread not to mention a PC one? I'll go off topic for a sec but I have a point. As someone who plays music I've often been burdened with band mates who don't do their homework. Some just want to click a button and have it all. I say in complaint to my contemporaries while scratching our heads, "you got to have and know your heroes" "these guys don't have any" much like the old adage... You got to know where you've been to know where your going. But hey... The guys that know already get this rant, I know, or I guess?
    I'm off to find a period pic to post ASAP.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445552443.785927.jpg
    Here.

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. Please can we shut up about the damn title, the original intent was an extension of the period correct 1940s hot rod thread, bad wording I agree but at this point talking about it is like beating a dead mule or pissing into the wind.

If it is period hot rod photo/article or new build that is era correct post it up, if it is about the title please reframe from posting.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  21. @Pist-n-Broke Some inspiration for your roadster. Unfortunately there is no info on the owner. The license plate has 52 or 53 stamped so from the pre '54 period

jpb-1931-roady-001.jpg jpb-1931-roady-002.jpg jpb-1931-roady-003.jpg jpb-1931-roady-005.jpg jpb-1931-roady-006.jpg jpb-1931-roady-007.jpg jpb-1931-roady-009.jpg jpb-1931-roady-012.jpg

EVL401, bonesy, volvobrynk and 10 others like this.
  22. That is over the Top Kool! Thanks

23. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

24. It's a nice car, Dave, I'd be proud to own/drive it, but the modern throttle cable, beaded firewall, alternator, vega box, and modern spark plug wires kinda kill the 50's period-correctness.

Squablow likes this.
  25. Dave50

Dave50

Thanks for pointing that out Your opinion your sandbox.... Just like many post in this thread its hard to keep everything period correct AN fittings on fuel lines aluminium pipe plugs in heads if we want to get nitt picking, so be it.. At least this guy tried to keep it period correct as possible no gm crate or fiberglass etc ..keep up the good job tigheting up on the thread thats what some of us want. Good luck
    Revkev we`ll talk

birdog likes this.
  26. I've seen that car in person a few times. Aside from the few things mentioned above, the car really is nice and authentic. I'd be shocked if someone told me it wasn't built in the 50's. Pictures never seem to do the car justice. I have a few of my own pics that I never really bothered to put up.

27. I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread.

This is a '50s hot rod, the real deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should note that the man who built this car drove it to and from the shop daily.

volvobrynk, bonesy, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  28. Interesting smoothed off wheel wells........
    32.jpg
    Flthd.jpg
    dash.jpg
    wheelwell.jpg
    24.jpg 25.jpg 26.jpg 27.jpg