Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building hot rods from garbage ( non-survivor club)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thirtytwo, Oct 16, 2015.

1. LOL by the time my oldest granddaughter was 4 she was handing me wrenches and watchin the gauges for any problems ( which she caught before I did once). We built the Willys while she was in high school ( out in the cold some times) as a reward for getting good grades. Its no wonder now at the age of 23 she is all eat up. :D

2. Priceless moments together!!!

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I have found it easiest to start with a good frame Square the cowl hang doors and go by the gaps and work back measuring a and b pillars for square side to side , most the time I have welded the doors shut with gaps set and crawl through the bottom until the subrails are made and the body is bolted to the frame and solid then I can cut the doors loose and finish the floor

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

This is almost exactly what my old-timer neighbor told me to do, I just didn't get to it yet. I've got my subframe built and sitting on the frame. My body has some usable holes from the old brackets on it that I'm going to use as fixed points (BONUS!).

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Yeah it's fairly simple when you have good straight metal just a matter of taking time and not rushing... Checking gaps a stand back and look a bunch of times.... it's when you are straightening some twisted mess .... thats when things start to get more complicated I hope to see some of those turds posted on here also

s55mercury66 and patmanta like this.
  6. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Your "befores" look like my afters!

7. 33essex

33essex

Heres my car pretty much befor I did anthing. Lots more polishing to do. Not as good as it may or may not look. I do have a build thread 33 terraplane.Don't know how to post link. 2881_output-1.jpg 2879_output.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man my wagon is rough but some of the stuff you guys are starting with won't even cast a good shadow:)
    You guys are very impressive or you are just into being Punished I am unsure which it is :)

11. Yeah, the next A coupe I do,,, I'm starting with a finished and restored original in the nicest shape I can find and cut it up into a hotrod

Bulletnose26, enloe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

13. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

ok all you guys have some cool as shit just hanging around in your garage. I'll have in my garage is broken weed wackers, racks, shovels and a compound bow that hasnt been used in a millions years. I want your garages.

14. bct

bct

fuctT002.jpg 4sale002.jpg

Turning worthless junk into something equals a low pressure fun build.

Attached Files:

15. That actually looks like pretty solid garbage gimp.

One thing about starting with something that is pretty ratty is that you don't have to worry about screwing it up. :D

'51 Norm, brad2v and patmanta like this.
  16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Build a shed and evict all that stuff and I'll sell you some of mine ;)

Then you can start filling your shed too like I did!

Danekejt likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, I'd be happy to start with a lot of the stuff I see on this thread. Heres the beginnings of my
    coupester...:eek::p
    DSC_0208b.jpg DSC_0209b.jpg

18. 59fordyfairgalax500

59fordyfairgalax500
    from York, PA

19. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

My avatar was in 6 pieces when I bought it. Cool thread! I like the nitty gritty homemade cars.

20. Wow!
    Now here's a bit of encouragement. As bad as your pile looks now it will be awesome when your done.

I reduced my very shinny turd and quite expensive BTW to a cut up pile of trash, then lovingly rebuilt it. I try not to think of the dough I lost by doing that and know I'd be much further along starting with a pike like yours and still had the Dough to push it along.

21. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, at least I knew what I was getting! You got a "box of chocolates"...;) Mine is buried under a huge pile of stuff right now, once the new garage is up, I'll pull it out and start trying to make it look like a Model T!

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

24. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

16" ford wide fives

59fordyfairgalax500 likes this.
  25. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Bitchin bare bones roadster!

Unfortunatly a think this may be the norm for the east coast rodders rust is horrible there for some reason?
    Good job on a "odd rod " the stance and color seem to accentuate the unusual body very well...good proportions ... Looks good

26. Is that the coupe bobbleed built at ASS for Tuttle?

27. bct

bct

I started by laying out a grid and centerline on a flat/level 4x8 work bench. I used plywood. I then worked up and back from the firewall. Lots of bracing and cross measuring corner to corner. I screwed my few exisisting body mount holes right into the table through chunks of 2x4 to elevate the body off the table. This gave me some wiggle room to build sub frame and lower patch panels. I also used plywood strips below body lines to keep them straight. Plywood bends very uniformly . I'm sure 1/8" flat stock could replace all plywood with less chance of fire when welding.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    bengeltiger likes this.
  28. Not quite the roughest but the most incomplete... Started with a radiator shell... Then my old Stainless steel headers!

Since then I've been collecting parts.

cowl 3.jpg 1424928331135.jpg

When I'm done the engine will be identical to this engine except I'll be running cast iron heads.

May Hardy\'s 09 3.jpg 1445491409464.jpg 1445492051950.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  29. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yep. Here's some pics of the body. As we got it. During reconstruction. And as it was when we sold it to ASS. Coupe rear.jpg HAMB1.jpg Coupe 7.JPG