Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1961 Impala drop top B/B found in (pole) barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

"Back in the day" Chevy guys used dog leg chrome tips for pipes that exited just behind the rear wheels. Not straight tips. Anyone know of a source for those tips?

2. It's got brakes!

Should move under it's own power this weekend. Gotta get some ATF for the Turboglide but I almost hope it's junk. Then I could do the 4 speed conversion with a clearer conscious about non-originality.

Need to get my old Ford F1 running again since it's parked in front of the Impala.
    Seems to have lost it's spark from sitting..., besides being out of gas and a dead battery.

Tell me how you really feel.
    Looking at your avatar and reading, I gut laughed imagining flapping baloney.
    Anyways, baloney tips went back to parts stash. Leaving it stock.

I know which ones you're talking about. Popular in the 70's. They had a very small outward flare at the end, We called them "donkey dicks" back then. I haven't seen any for sale in decades.

3. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

angled tips for sure.
    Car is coming along real nice. Great find.

4. Been looking for some good used tires to throw on the American wheels. Seems that 15" tire supplies are drying up at the used tire places because newer cars don't use them. I was telling a friend this and he says "I have some for you" He dropped off a set of 4 Cooper Cobras that are next to new. They came in the trunk of a project he had and were never used.

Two are 235/60 for the back and 215/65 for the front. PERFECT.
    Paid him $200 for the set. Thanks Jesse!

I mounted the rears with lettering turned in.
    Looking for 7" wide wheels for the front before I mount the other pair.

DSC08220 SMALL.JPG

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  5. I finally got the front bumper from the previous owner. He had it rechromed about 25 years ago and never unwrapped it. You can see it lower right. It's a California one-piece style, instead of the more common 3-piece.

DSC08186 SMALL.JPG

6. greaser

greaser

Would love to see the 3/4 shot of the front with bumper and bumper guard on.
    Wheels look awesome by the way!

7. I'll have the bumper and guard buttoned up tonight.

I like the wheels but fronts just look too skinny and spokes are thinner than the rears, which I don't like.

DSC08193 SMALL.JPG

DSC08194 SMALL.JPG

Gonna' look for some 'old school plastic' center caps that have the 2 stars.
    More correct on this car.

[​IMG]

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Original one piece bumpers are like hens teeth. In the '80s a friend was doing a '62 and wanted to install a one piece bumper on his car. I was headed to California to visit family and he asked if I could look for one. Lo and behold, not only did I find the bumper but a perfect hood too. My dad and I built crates for both out of California redwood and shipped them back to the east coast. Funny thing, my friend Terry seemed as happy to get the redwood as he was the car parts. Go figure. lol

9. When I lived in Calif, I remodeled one of our bathrooms with "clear of heart" knot free redwood 1x12 planks. Covered everything, built cabinets, shelves, hidden lighting, mirror frames. The out-of-state family visitors were always amazed when I told them it was leftovers from siding a house.

Got the bumper and grille guard installed and got the remote hood pull working. Since Oregon only requires one license plate on the back and I chose to use a period correct one, I don't have a mate. The license area on the front bumper looked naked.

I have a collection of old diecast license plate frames from different dealerships. I find one with a "new" car paper plate from local "Bruce Chevrolet" which also happens to be my last name. It has their goofy Kangaroo logo. (He ripped off Cal Worthington Ford "and his dog Spot" idea) Worked out good for the front bumper. Then. later on I find the matching frame for the back.

DSC08202 SMALL.JPG

DSC08204 SMALL.JPG

DSC08209 SMALL.JPG

DSC08210 SMALL.JPG

10. Uh-oh... more deviation from factory stock.

I don't like the stock white back-up light lenses so I had already changed them for some red ones that are connected to the tail lights. While polishing the bumper and rubbing out the trunk panel today I decided to pull off the "star" shaped trim rings from the tail lights. Looks much better.

BEFORE
    DSC07935  SMALL.JPG
    AFTER
    DSC08229 SMALL.JPG

WITH STAR TRIM RINGS
    DSC08223 SMALL.JPG
    WITHOUT TRIM RINGS - LOOKS BETTER HUH?
    DSC08222 SMALL.JPG

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    T-roaster and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. 6 tail lights on an Impala is so keen at night! You brought the car a long way from the ''before'' shots.

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely looks better, the factory wasn't right about all of the things they did.

13. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

You are certainly doing this car right............:cool::D

14. Seems like that was lyrics from a Beach Boys or Jan and Dean song.

15. "Dead Man's Curve''. -All the Jag could see was my six tail lights.

16. Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder

Great buy! Love that car and what you're doing to it

17. So I carpeted the trunk. Bought a 3'-6" X 12' piece at Home Depot that was nearly a match for the interior carpet. Put my spare tire, jack and toolbox down in the well. Used some 1/4" wood paneling scraps I had over the top. I'm showing the 1st panel piece but there was another piece to fill in the rest.

DSC08247 SMALL trunk board.JPG

DSC08249 SMALL carpet install.JPG

T-roaster and greaser like this.
  18. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

19. Haven't been working on the Impala much due to laziness but did clean a little more on the engine compartment. Drained the cooling system so I can pull the shroud and clean up the pulleys, fan, radiator, etc. Got a new metal tag for the generator so I'll spruce it up too.

Damn, I just missed an FH code 348 engine on Craigslist last weekend. (1961 350hp solid lifter)
    Good running engine for 1200. It was only on CL for 10 minutes when I saw it.

DSC08239.JPG

T-roaster and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. wow! Don't see many running FH engines for sure for sale. Sorry you missed that.

21. 61 our favorite- close 2nd is the 56- you are making it look great-

22. It had a stock looking WCFB 4bbl and no tri-power but still a great deal.

23. U-235

U-235

Still can't believe you just sanded that primer and rattle canned that paint.....it looks too good.

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sometimes finding good stuff on Craigslist is just a matter of luck. I'm on there sometimes just to look at the cool stuff that one would never expect to pop up in Hawaii. A few years ago there was a 427 Ford side oiler, all dissassembled and machined on there for a few weeks. I couldn't afford it at the time, but when overtime picked up I looked for it. Gone...:(

25. Bought a '61 clutch pedal setup today. Not sure if I'm converting yet but keep gathering the parts when reasonably priced. Only need a Z-bar, steering column, floor hump, interior firewall plate and front driveshaft section to complete the conversion. Oh yea, need a correct bellhousing too but have one that will work.

0 1961 Impala clutch pedal from Mac.jpeg

greaser, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  26. greaser

greaser

I like the way you're thinking, Mark! Shifty cars are more fun to drive.
    I've always liked '61 Impalas. Planning to use a '61 Impala steering wheel in my '32 pickup.

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup, rowing a 4 speed never gets old, even if we do. :D

turboroadster, loudbang and greaser like this.
  28. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Jegs has them

loudbang likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

LowKat
    Many, many years ago I bought a real clean all original 64 Impala Sport Coupe from a guy I worked with, it was a 327/250 hp/3 speed/column car. I rounded up all the requisite parts and made a "factory look" bench seat/4speed car, Muncie with original shifter, boot, and even the floor shift column painted turquoise to match. Man that was a fun car for rowing through the gears with, not much for horsepower but a lot of fun nonetheless.
    You may have seen it over the years as I sold it to a guy in Oregon City. It was turquoise on turquoise interior with flat cap disc brake 14x5 in. Ralley Wheels.
    IIRC, the guy put Cragars on it and gave it fresh paint (turquuoise). Boy I bet that was a good looking and fun car.

30. I think I've seen that car at a cruise-in down by the river.

This is an under powered 250 horse car too but I'm collecting tri-power parts. So far I have an intake, couple pieces of linkage, a center carb and a pending trade deal on an original air cleaner bottom. The Portland Swap Meet is in April and I hope to pick up a pair of 2GC's to convert for the end carbs. When I switch to the 3x2 I'll probably give it a little cam, Maybe get it in the 300-310 horsepower range.