Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building hot rods from garbage ( non-survivor club)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thirtytwo, Oct 16, 2015.

1. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I figured out why you like that car so much now...
    You like messing with people.... Especially the " experts"

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

hes a sneaky so and so, isn't he??:D

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpg

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. its not me messing with anyone, it is the expert messing with himself and that sure is fun to watch :)
    Look at how much fun you guys are having

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Hey thirtytwo, was that Model A roadster you posted pics of made from that pile of parts I traded you? I still have the 34 Tudor. It's piled in a corner with chunks from 2 or 3 other sedans waiting for some slicing and dicing to make a good one.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, its not what I was initially thinking you did...So this is what I get for not checking out your build thread till now. Shoulda looked at more than just the axle pics, huh...:p And hell I aint no expert on this kinda stuff, not by a looooong shot!

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I can appreciate you trying to make a silk purse out of someone else's sow's ear, but you woulda been way farther ahead starting fresh to make your 35-36:)34 coupe.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not any more your not...;):D All good tricks depend on a little mis-direction...:D
    AF10_r1163_011.jpg

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

No that one was the sport coupe you spied in the weeds and asked me about when I sent you the 34 pics I got doors ( well..., kinda doors) for your old pieces its waiting its turn right now ... I work pretty slow... Haven't got a chance to use the b-pillars you got me yet either , the lack of space thing in California is a bummer I can only do one project at a time.... Probably should move east , but I do have the important pieces for the 33 now so ill be able to get on that after I finish the 10 other projects :)

No more turd polishing for you?... Buyin nice 32s now ?!! ;-)

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I'm guessing since the guy who sold it to him is/was on the hamb also it was more of a fuck you this is how you are supposed to do this and to establish the point further he used the exact same stuff....

Or once he stopped cutting and dried his tears and the hangover wore off had no choice but to persevere... After all polished th400s need a good home! :)

brEad and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I still enjoy the hunt to get enough parts make those turds shine, but after having finally gotten ahold of a good one, I might convert. Of course, I still have quite a few big piles of poo to work thru first.

12. no kidding,
    if my hindsight wasn't out for repairs I surely would have made a different choice. Certainly not buying it in the first place would have led to a different path.

Once the discovery of "garbage" was made there were only 3 options. Scrap it, sell it to some other poor bastard, or fix it. Its all unfolded in the build thread. It's 29 pages but you probably wouldn't believe the shit I found. It has all worked for a tremendous amount of good but it wasn't any fun walking the road.

I guess any one of these car - probably everyone of them would be further ahead and better off starting with a better example.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  13. There's a 3 window version in my head too.
    image.jpg

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So do you think you know what I initially thought it was? Send me a pm if you want to hazard a guess, and what twigged me to what I was really seeing. I'm going to bed, momma is out of the country, and the little one wont go to sleep without me.
    I was pretty damned close, less than six degrees of separation...;)

15. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Hey wayfreight, those old road tractors ( look like a mack and gmc ?) look pretty nice too, did they start out turds too?!

john walker likes this.
  16. So when you have a body that's a pile of loose pieces, what's the best way to start to put it together, build a jig to assemble it around, pick an end and start there, go from the floors up... ?

I have a pile I should cobble together one of these days myself.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] This is the back of a 1929 Ford Steelback I bought at Hershey years ago, hope to have a finished car some day. Bob

Okie Pete likes this.
  18. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

This is my kind of hot rodding. Take a twisted piece of metal no restorer would touch and turn it into a rolling masterpiece. You're a talented bunch that's for sure!
    Vision, imagination and hard work.

19. Wayfreight

Wayfreight

"King ford, post: 11212494, member: 215397"]Hey wayfreight, those old road tractors ( look like a mack and gmc ?) look pretty nice too, did they start out turds too?!
    The GMC wasn't too bad, it was a fire truck in MI at some point till we got ahold of it & got rid of the pumper body & shortened the frame etc.
    There's a B-model Mack tucked away back there as well, the Mack and the White were junk, poor old things were just beat to s**t. Rescued both from the scrap yard & did our best to save them.

20. Yep Jeff is the king of turd polishing. That man has the patience of Job. :D

I think that when we are talking survivors we need to distinguish between survivor hot rods and just cars that are still with us.

I probably posted my A bone on a survivor thread and it is a survivor of sorts. I mean hell you can tell what it was being used for when last in use but it is not a survivor hot rod. that will be 30 or 40 years from now. LOL

it is probably better suited for this thread. But it should at least show some progress before I post it again, that way I can show its recuperation. Before all is said and done it is going to need some serious reconstructive surgery.

" we can rebuild him we have the technology." like so many of our modern day traditional hot rods its going to be the six million dollar A bone ( probably more like the 6 dollar A bone on my budget. :oops: )

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  21. It would be an awesome seat in the home drive in theater too.

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

23. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

This turd...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445263241.550095.jpg

Is destined to be this dude's...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445263271.095965.jpg

...first car, er, truck. He's got less than 15 years to figure it out and get the polishing done. I figure I should have all the major parts n' pieces by the time he's out of diapers.

Okie Pete and Roger53 like this.
  24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

25. LOL when I was his age my Ol' Man never ever wanted me to pick up a wrench. It was confusing, he took me around all that stuff, made sure I knew all of his cronies and had my own tools even in his shop, but he never ever wanted me to pick up a wrench. its no wonder I got issues. :D

das858 and enloe like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

• The '50s movie "Hot Rod Girl" put actress Jody Fair in the character of Lois Cavendish, who drove and street raced a full fendered '32 Cabriolet...(Olds powered)
    • Your '32 is the finished version of the car, seen tearing it up in the Los Angeles river...('Storm Drains'!)
    • If you haven't seen the movie, you really should. Lois's car is a 'ringer in the rough' for your beauty. Great style there, well worth the work.

27. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Ha! My dad only let me be a glorified flashlight holder until I was old enough to get my own car. My little dude 'helps' out whenever he can, even if only for entertainment value...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445267983.967615.jpg

...even if that 'entertainment' forces me to dig things out of intake runners.

Okie Pete and timwhit like this.
  28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Hm, looking at all this cherry stuff on here, I'm definitely in the 'building from garbage' club. I'll have to let you know when I'm finished.

[​IMG]
    It was worse than it looks in this glamour shot but I've seen worse.

@BenLeBlanc should probably tag along too, his cars' subframe apparently evaporated along with the bottom of his Model A's body.

Nailhead A-V8 and Okie Pete like this.
  29. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH