Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SUNDAY SUNDAY at Aquasco Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schwinn1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. 0ldracer

0ldracer

This thread is over 5 years old and some of the photos have disappeared, but I love these old photos too. And I've known Gene Altizer for over 50 years and his stories are still fascinating. Most of the Aquasco photos that I have are on here already, but I'll look again. I have plenty of photos of Fred Gene Pork Charlie KS Malcolm etc. etc. at other places but keeping with the Aquasco theme is a challenge.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Here's one of KS Pittman in 1965 at Aquasco. This is right after the S&S 1933 Willys was crashed in Mineral Wells, Texas. KS went back to California and quickly put the Zueschel Chrysler in his old 41 and came back East to fulfill his match race commitments. In the background it looks like Ferd Napfel's Storming Bull 1955 Chevy.

KSPittmanAquasco1965.jpg

3. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I grew up a few blocks from Gene's house but only met him once. The neighborhood kids used to ride bikes over there when we'd hear cars fire up. This would have been in the Pack Rat funny car days. We really looked up to him as a big time racer. It wasn't unusual to see touring funny cars on ramp trucks driving down Glebe Rd. near his place. I've meant to stop by in Bowling Green and say hey, as he was a big inspiration.

4. ....In case anybody missed them before.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  6. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Hog Mtn, Next time you get the chance go say something to Gene. He will be glad to meet someone from the "hood". I'm serious, he will be glad you did.

Speaking of Gene Altizer, here is one from 1968 that many folks do not know about. After running several very successful Anglia A/Gassers, he ran this car for a few short months in 68 before he bought Malcolm Durham's stretched Corvair Funny Car and went funny car circuit racing. Injected Big block Chevy with a B&M Clutchflite in
    B/Gas. I apologize, not at Aquasco but cool photo...
    . AltizerCorvette.jpg

oj and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. 0ldracer

0ldracer

OK here is one that I think is at Aquasco Speedway. Bob Bernardon's Jolly Dolly.

JollyDolly39.jpg

8. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Wow Dave, I sure don't remember Gene's Corvette. Cool looking car though. And a nice shot of the Jolly Dolly too. Saw him pretty regularly at Aquasco.

9. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Sox & Martin @ Aquasco 1971

elgringo71, Manson and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. THANK YOU
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to share that!

11. Clik

Clik

Thanks. Always good to see history of my ol' 'hood.

12. Aquasco Reunion and car show this Sat., Oct. 17th @ Brandywine FD. 2:30-7:30.

13. Aquasco Reunion Aquasco.jpg

lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  14. I should go
    Next year I will have the gasser to take!

15. Old Racer 35

Old Racer 35
    from virginia

wish i known earlier about reunion raced there bac in 70,s .been cool to have gone to it

16. ......................Maybe next year.:)

17. bump for the newbies

18. KiddRacer

KiddRacer

A quick Google search led me to this thread a few years ago, I still check back from time to time looking for pictures of my grandfather's cars. His name is Elmer Kidd he owned a Sinclair service station in bailey's crossroads, alot of the pictures we had were lost in a fire a little over 20 years ago. He has a few mid eastern drag news magazines woth his pictures in them but that's about it. These old racing threads and pictures of since retired race tracks are cool stuff.

19. Clik

Clik

Let me know what kind of cars and how they were lettered and I'll keep my eyes open?

20. If anyone has pictures or stories from this time period, please post them here and keep this thread alive.:)

21. 0ldracer

0ldracer

KiddRacer...here is one for you. 1963 Aquasco Speedway
    HalesKiddMatch (1).jpg

22. Deacon Brock

Deacon Brock

23. Anyone else with stories or especially pictures from Aquasco please post them.:)

24. Clik

Clik

One of my ancestors immigrated from Ireland prior to the revolutionary war and started a farm right in there somewhere. His name was Hoye. He's buried in there somewhere but the grave has been lost. For all I know it's on the old Aquasco Speedway. I've read that the track closed for "environmental reasons". I just assumed noise. It seems like everyone who has owned it since the track closed hasn't had an interest in doing anything with it. Makes me wonder what gives. It's almost like someone is hiding something. I've heard rumors but don't want to spread unsubstantiated info.

25. Very interesting, Paul, and fascinating story about your Irish ancestor. Luck-of-the-Irish to you today.:D

26. Clik

Clik

Thanks Don. My cousin Charles Edward Hoye was the founder of the Garrett County Historical Society and went down to Aquasco in 1941 (I think) to look for the ancestral graves which weren't found. In his book (pub 1941) he mentioned a race track there. He did not specify what type. Aquasco Speedway wasn't built until, what? 1954? Could there have been a dirt track there in 1941? Or was he referring to a horse track? I don't know.

27. That's a good question, Paul. I don't know if it might have been an auto race track (I've never heard any reference in that regard) or more likely a horse track. Apparently from as early as colonial times there were many horse tracks around that are long gone. I just recently read about one that was located in the Parole area of Annapolis where the new shopping center is located. I didn't realize for many yrs. that the community of Revell Downs along Rt.50 as you approach the Bay Bridge was built on the grounds of a colonial era horse track. Now the name makes sense! Duh! A former co-worker who lived there would always find bits of cinder from the track when he plowed his garden. It's said that legislators from the State House would take breaks to go to Revell Downs to bet on the nags.:)