Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 fleetline in spain

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by sigfurniture, Jan 2, 2015.

1. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

epp! well here I am again trying to glean some knowledge from the experts. first of all happy new year and all that, secondly I´m not totally new here but a little info always helps. I´m british living in spain, and I do up old wrecks when I get the time..I´ve got a 39 dodge luxury liner, a 28 frankenstein ford, and imported a 54 newyorker which has recently ( via swaps for an mg b gt ) has turned into a 50 fleetline in need of attention
    I picked up the chevy yesterday as a swap for the mg..it was an import from uruguay and in working ( !) order.....I drove it around the block which was nice. it was on the stock massive wheels with inline 6 (12v conversion) and hideous yellow interior.
    so today it was attacked with the grinder to see what the paint was hiding..not much apart from many layers of paint ..a bit of fibreglass in the sills (uff ! ) but nothing major so far.

first thing put some smaller wheels onto make me feel better, and I´ve started the lowering of the rear (blocks) this evening.

I ´ve read all the 1.5 coil up front and 3 inch block at the back stuff and that is the basis for the work so far, bu tI wanted to start a thread as there will no doubt be a million things that I want to ask about the silly everyday stuff of chevy owners...one of which wil be the control panel which is a kind of russian roulette of buttons and knobs at the moment !!

I would also eventually like to know the possibilities of the straight 6 ...can it be "warmed up"..I runs very smooth and i don´t plan on v8ing it?

any way heres the pix from today so you se what we´re on about

cheers sig

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

costa brava likes this.
  2. Slow down

Slow down

It's got potential , looks like 49 grill ,when you need parts check out www.nationalchevyassoc.com ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420235127.737028.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. _justakid_

_justakid_

If you want to keep it a 6 and want a more modern feel upgrade to a full pressure 235. Blue flame engine

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. willyscoupe

willyscoupe

Nice looking project ! I've seen some 4dr Torpedo Backs chopped on here and they look good but it's not an easy process to chop a fast back .
    I chopped mine 4 1/2" and spliced a 55 Chevy dash into it as well as 55 Olds rear quarters .
    As far as lowing goes , I've C notched the rear but it's not low enough to cruise with so I'll be kicking it up a bit more . The front is all tubular IFS now . Still a long ways to go . It's nice that yours is together and can still be enjoyed ! I'll have to watch your build ! image.jpg

'Mo likes this.

5. There are two-carb intakes, that and some Carter YF carbs, or pretty much any 1-bbl except the Rochester, will be an improvement. You can get a split exhaust header also. No idea how hard to get shipped to Spain though.

6. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

thanks for the info chaps. I should mention spain !..its a pain in the arse regarding car mods. I´d love to do a chop (actually I´m desperate to try one!) but the car needs to be registered as historic over here , meaning it needs to look original....the only slack you have is playing with the ignorance of the tester...c notches are also out as modified chassis are imposible and pretty easy to spot.
    with the dodge I kicked up the rear of the chasis rails very subtly to gain some height and channeled the whole body (again in a "almost traditional" looking way)...channeling the chevy is out as the floors are already good.
    I´ll take it to the minimum before the test..then whack some bigger wheels on it again to make it look more stock.

from the little I´ve driven the car, the engine seems to have plenty of low grunt and pull...will it be able to do 60 mph on the motorway? or do people do changes in the diff ?( this was the case with the old dodge).

also toying with the idea of adapting the grill as its a bit shabby. I might make some teeth in stainless ( i make sheet steel furniture as a day job!) anyone done it?....bear in mind I can´t just go off to the local scrappy and pick up a buick grill like you lot ;)

well thanks I´ll keep you all posted

7. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

just found my password again !...slow progress on the fleetline..got some caddy bits brought over here , half placed on..(still not satisfied)...half frenched..half bodywork...the problems of having thin garages !!

Attached Files:

8. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

nearly forgot..found a fantastic upholsterer (no mean feat! )...so the horrid yellow vinyl is now a bit more classy... WP_20150717_10_26_45_Pro.jpg

302GMC and Eljorger like this.
  9. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

willyscoupe...... Been staring at your fleetlne for a few minutes now and im really digging those quarters. Got anymore photos?

10. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

That car looks pretty solid.Your 216 will certainly haul the car along at 60 but that is working it pretty hard.Given good babbit and a properly targeted pan(sump to you I reckon) those engines are quite long lived. I sure would pull the pan and have a look.Justakid was absolutely right about a 235 if you can find one! Two carbs and a split exhaust really help power out put on any of those engines.Tom Langdon at stovebolt is a huge help to anyone working on a chev or GMC six.Look him up on the net.

sigfurniture likes this.
  11. 'Mo

'Mo

Good post, steinauge, but I think the OP will find than Langdon has no love for the spray-oilers. The same is true of Patrick's (as knowledgeable, friendly and helpful as he is.)

steinauge, There is a group devoted to the 216 at the link in my signature. Check in, and start a dialogue. There is much potential in the 216.