Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** October 2015 Banger Meet - Shadows Getting Shorter in Aus and NZ ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I like the A rpu with the T turtle deck!!!!

[​IMG]

barrnone50 and ROCKER77 like this.
  2. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Frickin AWESOME edfueler!!!
    Thank you for the pics and great write up!
    Sure it would be great to be able to spend 5 or 10 grand on a motor but jumpin cat fish...THIS is hot rodding!!
    I have pictures of some boys from my area that made a similar trip to El Mirage in similar cars, in 1939! Thanks for keeping the history alive. I commented on Joelo's post on the home made speed equipment thread also...thought you two might be mates.
    Thanks again, and keep us updated on your fun!
    Cheers, Johnny
    (I know the beer DOES taste better on those trips!)

3. edfueler

edfueler

Thanks, Johnny.
    I'll post some more when we get the engines cleaned up and back in. I'll sort out my diff ratio next. All part of the fun.

rtsidejohnny likes this.
  4. Hey if anyone knows the vendor that had a red Simmons head in the Chocolate field by the bridge, please PM me.

5. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

6. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

A few questions about these cranks. Are the 2 on the right Model typical T Cranks? Is the 3rd from the right what I have heard called a "BB" crank with added counterweights? The counterweights are one piece that wrap around the crank. Did Ford do this?
    Thanks,
    Martin

7. G Baese

G Baese

Hello Martin,
    The far right T crank looks aftermarket and the 3rd one from the right looks like the two "BB" cranks in my garage.
    My understanding is that an early non-counter-weighted Model B engine returned to Ford for rebuilding was fitted with these pressed on and pinned counterweights with the extra meat on the sling end. There was/is also an idea, at least 'round here, that these were truck engines and thus the "BB" designation (like the "AA" ton trucks). Is it the same folklore as the so-called and recognized as such "C" crank with the integral counter weights.
    Where in Colorado are you?
    Regards,
    geary

8. Other than scouring swap meets, what are the repop options for a high compression banger head? I am alo on Tod's list. just wondering what else is out there that is decent? Brumfield (not accepting orders), scalded Dog, what else?

9. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I have a lion. It works well. I ran two different cars this weekend at trog that had winfield heads and carbs and they only got me at the top end of the track. My trog car is built w a lion 3 head b distributor and a pair of b updrafts on a engine of unknown origins.

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Isn't that were the race is won? The top end of the track? ;)

Hitchhiker likes this.
  11. I' running a repop Al Winfield from Antique Auto parts in Rosemead ca

12. Actually that should be Antique Automotive Industrys or SpecialtyFord parts 626 288 2121
    Hard to get through try later in the AM source for those little odds and ends of for chassi components been making the same stuff, well some of it, for at least 50 years

13. hot-irons

hot-irons

So I got my car down to the race of gentlemen last weekend. I was having a bunch of carb and fuel delivery problems but the few clean passes I was able to make were scary fast. This motor Luke built makes gobs of power and torque. I'm already planning what to do with the car so I can some of this power to the ground.
    Will post some video soon.
    For those who were asking the number for Newens equip co is
    720 273 9221.
    Ask for Luke and tell him Jim sent ya.

Attached Files:

ROCKER77 and waxhead like this.
  14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

15. Hey guys. New to the banger club. Looking for some input. other then a mallory distributor my car is all stock, and to be honest... not all that fun to drive. What kind of modifications are recommended to make the banger/model A a little more practical without sacrificing any of it's charm. Will a downdraft carb/intake wake this thing up? Any good brake mods? My ultimate goal is to drive drive drive this thing and ill be honest, the 20 or so miles i've but on it have been rather discouraging (coming from more of a Kustom backround).
    Hope you like the chop, thats what i've mainly been working on.

Attached Files:

ROCKER77 likes this.
  16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

assuming your motor & brakes are stock . 1) higher compression head (maybe snyders 6-1) 2) reds header (4-1)
    weber carb & manifold . really lives them up .
    brakes . teds energizer brake kit . I used them with great results ............

17. hot-irons

hot-irons

Two questions.
    How do I post video on here?
    And who can tell me what sixties era Ford big or small block had a remote water pump that hung off the side like an alternator? I need an accessory drive water pump to put in where my generator would be.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim

18. Guys, For those that have had flywheels lightened, how much did the shop charge you to shave off the excess?

A local engine shop (not many at all around here), he is quoting $150. Seems a little steep to me.....

19. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Bitchin looking coupe, I dig the chop

20. you might be thinking of the Model"T" there is a new modern one made, Texas T.
    you can find old Superior brand ones but they do leak pretty good.

J

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Yep, he's actually closer to you than me.. lol
    did he just have major heart surgery ?

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I did mine myself. It took me @ 4 hrs to do including set up and clean up. At $150 that's less then $40 an hour. Not a bad price. It amazes me that people are willing to pay an accountant or lawyer more then $200 per hour, but they gripe about paying a machine shop or mechanic $50 an hour.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  23. Thanks CDO! I just wanted a reality check. I'll proceed!

BTW...I have no accountant or lawyer, so.... ;)

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

it nice to have your own machine shop . some are lucky that way ..........

25. Tell me about it!!!! I can at least dream...

26. It is not Luck, it is a lifetime of investment and planning.
    Fixing old cars and machinery go hand in hand, the machines though don't have power windows.......
    J

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yes I understand . I have acquired a lot of stuff over the years also ........... good for you !

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

29. Can anyone ID this and would it work in a banger with a lightened flywheel?

Attached Files:

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a standard Long type pressure plate as used on plenty of Fords. How does it look on your flywheel?