Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building hot rods from garbage ( non-survivor club)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thirtytwo, Oct 16, 2015.

1. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

The thread of survivor hot rods was pretty cool but some people were posting pics of ones that didnt survive, I thought it would be cool to show the non-survivors too

It seems I'm always building from crap , but I know a few other guys that consider my stuff "cherry"

I've seen some tough looking projects on the hamb saved and turned into some really neat cars

So here is the criteria:

-Car has to have MAJOR damage, this can mean complete body rusted badly, bent badly or pieced together from multiple donors... OR if you bought a car you thought was nice and was a turd and you had to completely cut it apart to fix it ( see 31 vickey with a hemi) rebuild

-Floorboards or just patch pannels are going to be considered e-z on this thread

Customs, gassers, racecars are welcome here to, but they better be bad( think R&C dream truck)

-No ratty stuff, I want to see people that have done their very best , with very little

- I want to see SAVED , not just thrown together to drive to a rockabilly show, driving during progress is ok, just can't be final product/intention

- a beginning photo, a couple in-progress photos and a finished or where you are now photo

I'll start with a couple of my wrecks to get the ball Rollin image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This was mid build looks the easiest but was built mostly from scrap and cast offs image.jpg image.jpg
    Still haven't started the 5w in the background and unfortunatly I sold the one in the foreground in 2000 when it wasnt worth anything :-(

OK LET'S SEE SOME JUNK!

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

3. Look for some builds by flamedabone,,he turns turds into really nice cars and trucks. HRP

Spooky, deadbeat and timwhit like this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The "before" shots look like some of my stuff! You do some really nice work.

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Ha not hardly I've seen some pretty spectacular repairs here on the hamb!

Sounds like my kinda guy , hopefully he posts some pics!

I don't think I have any more than average skill, just more willing to take the time to get it close, and sometimes enlist the help of people needed to do some things I can't ... For the most part my stuff was straight , in the beginning which makes it EZ ... Even if it is a puzzle ! The people who build "river wash cars " then paint them are pretty amazing !

6. Last edited: May 5, 2023
  7. F&J

F&J

[​IMG]
    The beauty on the right...It was a 5W...why yes, that is a fucking Pinto2 front end....but it's replaced by a "Me-drop" 35 axle.

all hammered old parts, nothing repro except outside door handles I got from Tony in trade for the piece of upper windshield hinge area metal...

Sheesh, I haven't quite got it back together.... I am putting cloth on the roof today.

never knew which thread to put it on, as it's not a stock body style, not a coupster because it has roll up windows, and not even close to what a cabriolet looked like

324 Olds Rocket, 37 buick trans, 55 Olds rear, 40 dash with a 47 Plymouth gauge cluster and some other used junk

DSCN0403.JPG

32 ford dash2.jpg The 40 dash was too rough to sell, so it went on my car

here is the new roof
    DSCN0412.JPG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    UNSHINED 2, Just.dale, rod1 and 50 others like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

image.jpg

My brothers and I welded this body together from 13 different sources at final count. It had replaced quarters, patch panels all around the lower 4", and lots of other miscellaneous parts replaced. It's the car we practiced TIG welding on.

We got it 98% welded together and metal finished and then it sat in the garage for a couple years. Middle Brother saw a wanted ad for an A coupe, and south it went. Surprise, surprise, it showed up on TV a year later!

9. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

here is my Bonneville roadster.
    1979 speed week.jpg
    as it was in the 60's
    cd pictures 112 (800x519).jpg
    as I found it.
    001 bville 2009.jpg
    as it is now.

EVL401, Okie Pete, BradinNC and 11 others like this.
  10. I'll give it a whirl. The cabrio body was shortened 14" (jeeez), windshield opening cut off at the cowl, doors armpitted and not finished plus @4" section. I rebuilt the windhield structure by hand, rebuilt the doors with "tops" from SAR (including adding 10" to their length), added 10" to the floor a 102_0591.JPG 009.JPG lso. All this to a very rust free so/cal body. Not to mention all the other things you do along the way. Tim

Nailhead A-V8, rod1, hfh and 22 others like this.
  11. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

1930 homebuilt Model a roadster

Attached Files:

12. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

You can polish a turd...outstanding metal work!!!

13. cfmvw

cfmvw

The former 5-window looks pretty good, but being a VW owner, I took notice of the split window - what are your plans for that one?

14. (I'd soon find the huge pile garbage hiding within- hiding like a monster waiting to destroy)

I bought this.
    [​IMG]
    Cuz It "just" needed this -
    [​IMG]

So Started with this.

[​IMG]

Found some of this BS
    [​IMG]

Then I found the 1/4s a bunch off
    [​IMG]

Then got to here
    [​IMG]

I thought I was fucked when I had to cut all of this " garbage" out
    [​IMG]
    Then I realized I wasn't as fucked ^there when I got to here :)
    [​IMG]
    Every time I turned around I was finding more and more garbage like this.
    [​IMG]

After the bad was cut out, out of every where- then good stuff goes in, in everywhere
    [​IMG]

Then there's some of this, actually a lot of this
    [​IMG]

Pretty soon everything got some of this
    [​IMG]

Had to all of this
    [​IMG]

Eventually I made my wat to this
    [​IMG]

Then I needed to redo and re make all of this, just taking the last of garbage out.
    New 1/4 windows.

[​IMG]

Moose finished my car with photoshop :D
    I need to catch up I guess
    [​IMG]

But I still needed to do this
    [​IMG]

We will get there

Shoulda finished my Vicky !!!!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  15. Jeff,flamedabones 34 Ford. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rod1, EVL401, Okie Pete and 20 others like this.
  16. Wayfreight

Wayfreight

Puslinch-20121229-00008 (2).jpg Puslinch-20121229-00026 (2).jpg Puslinch-20121229-00012 (2).jpg Puslinch-20130419-00088 (2).jpg Puslinch-20130421-00090 (2).jpg 20150416_191554 (2).jpg
    I never post on here, I'd rather read and learn from others much more talented than I, but here's a rough one I've been trying to save, figured it was worth posting on this thread. Cheers, John.

coast40, EVL401, Squablow and 27 others like this.
  17. titus

titus

heres some junk i saved, not all necisarilly cars i tried my hardest to make super nice but at least got most of them on the road or very close
    2314 001-3.jpg 32front34view.JPG
    same car as above, just 2nd time iver redone it
    IMG_0568.jpg
    mitchel/plowboy/jeffreyjames/jeff peterson/titus coupe
    15244_10152733659894700_8258594724120462678_n.jpg
    mid progress, hope to get on this car in the next year downsized_1129142049.jpg
    future project, been collecting stuff for it for a few years now IMGP0008.jpg
    my coupester, it was alot of fun to put this one together dddd 001-1.jpg cpstroa1.JPG
    low-A-coupe, never finished it, got it close, dunno what the status is on the car at the moement dd 001-1.jpg PICT5772.jpg
    little T rpu i peices together, went thry a few hands then finally got put on the road and was at TROG this year
    downsized_0704031349.jpg downsized_0819030844.jpg

EVL401, Squablow, Okie Pete and 17 others like this.
  18. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Wow-- you guys are amazing! Hats off.

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Not nearly as big a challenge as many of the previous examples but here's the turd I polished.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Entire roof, drip rails, wheel wells, bottom 4" of body all the way around & firewall tossed because of rust or previous hackery. All inner bracing and sub rails toast too (wood). Lots of late nights, swap meets and a few scars later, voila!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/yet-another-vicky-project.395833/

EVL401, Spooky, Okie Pete and 18 others like this.
  20. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have drug home some steaming piles in my time, but I think 31Vicky is the front runner for the Jim Sibley Trash to Treasure Award.

Here is some of my crap.

[​IMG]

Half done.
    [​IMG]

The 39. Looks familiar, don't it??
    [​IMG]

Done.
    [​IMG]

I have shown the Merc a million times...
    [​IMG]

Done.
    [​IMG]

I slipped a Studebaker in there about ten years ago...
    [​IMG]

Done.
    [​IMG]

Sometimes I forget about the Henry J.
    [​IMG]

The kid leaning against it is now 6 foot 4.
    [​IMG]

Out of 16 ground up cars, that Henry is the only one that isn't black.

See ya, -Abone.

21. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

coupeolet?... Great car !! I must admit when I saw it before I was bummed the roof was sawed off but now I see what you started with a mediocre cowl and quarters .... Great save... I like your car even more!

Good looking car... With history even! BGR ? Potvin blown sbc under that long hood?

We could start a " turd polishers group"

Real beauty there

Cool I like the 32 header ! 31 Vicky needs that I know all about wood ... I'm working on this for my friend Russ image.jpg image.jpg

Great pic so far guys ... Lets keep it going.... I also noticed some of you added your build thread... Great idea !... Then we can see the " turd polishing progress ! :)

Squablow, Okie Pete, Smiffy and 7 others like this.
  22. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

that was in2009 , it had then a vortech charger blown '90 350 from a chevy pick-up. it kept throwing the belt and only when 157. 3 years later it had a 427 chevy bracket motor and went 198.

rod1 and thirtytwo like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

AAaaaarrgh!!! Sweet JESUS!! Those valvestems!! Gonna go gouge my eyes out with a rusty screwdriver!!:p
    [​IMG]

EVL401 and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  24. Lmao !!!!
    You need to get out more

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    falcongeorge likes this.
  25. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

Some have asked, " What is a Hotrod?". I believe this is it.
    The work done to these cars, to save what is left of them, is Hotrodding, in my opinion. Kuddos to those with the fortitude to work through the challanges, vision and passion it takes to build these.
    I hope to see more examples.....
    Great thread!

thirtytwo likes this.
  26. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Great thread!
    I have some before and in progress pictures tha I will dig around and see if I can find.
    What is this finished that your speak of?

Norm

thirtytwo likes this.
  27. cool thread @thirtytwo. I don't have anything to qualify but I did just get a set of 32 rails in a trade.. I'm looking for a cheap body.....

thirtytwo likes this.
  28. Noland

Noland

Here is one I've been working on for awhile. Took alot of hammering, welding, cutting and grinding to even get as far as I am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okie Pete, Stock Racer, Tim and 13 others like this.
  29. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hew, F&J;
    With the cut-out behind the doors(ex-roof area), the '32 ex-5w-now-sorta-cabriolet reminds me of the German soft-top version(s). I think I'd be spinnin' a yarn 'bout how "We *think* that it's *just barely possible* this *might* be a German Cabbie"... :D .
    Marcus...

thirtytwo and volvobrynk like this.
  30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I'm really happy with the turn out so far..... hotrod heavy with a good mix of "other" for added flavor , some projects I haven't seen before which is awesome! ...

. It feels like the "OLD HAMB" again!!

ALL AWESOME PROJECTS!

Please post your build thread or related links to your project so people can check it out!~ thanks

Amongst the street rod crowd in the 80s there was a saying (or ad, can't remember) ~ anybody can restore a car, but it take balls to cut one up~

Fast forward to now ...where the fad is heavy chops.... 5"+ makes me cringe a little when I see a really nice virgin car get whacked 8" makes me a little sad I think there is a certain responsibility to finding a really nice car...

When you start with a turd it's kinda liberating... In a way I guess some of us turd polishers might be more restoration than we realise?

A few of my fellow turd polishers point at stuff like this and say there's my 32 or there's my T roadster ....I'd say 80% look at us a little confused... I've actually had a few just say ... What you have is SCRAP... I guess for the most part they're right

BUT.... HERE'S to the DuMPSTER DIVERS!... LETS KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE GUYS!!!

image.jpg image.jpg

EVL401, Spooky, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.