Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Race of Gentlemen, 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Dec 17, 2014.

1. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

The racing as always was amazing but there was way more camera posing and add placement then previous years. I think the majority of racers could have done without the fashion show.

2. mike bowling

mike bowling

I went down as a spectator, and if I'd paid the bucks to race would have been a little steamed too. Lots of time spent pushing products, and individuals who seemed to advance through the race rotation a lot quicker than others. Two guys I know put down the cash and got a total of three runs in Sat.-- Not happy.
    I realize an event like this is lots of work, but the racers draw the crowd. If they're not happy campers, you 've got a major flaw in the set-up. These guys devote themselves to putting a car together at their own expense , and by race time, nerves are raw, mummy's ready for divorce court, and the slush fund is in the red. They deserve more time on the track, even if it means limiting the field. There are enough cars and bikes showing up that I think it could be two separate events.
    Just my opinion based on observation ( Thurs. through Mon.)

Don't get me wrong , I had a GREAT time- it's definitely one of a kind !!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  3. 62hotcat

62hotcat

On saturday there were a lot of people riding bicycles and walking on the beach into the racing area. They had to shut down and chase them off. A few times wasting much time. Sunday they posted workers to keep them from coming in. Why dont the racers make a right and go around the back to the pits instead of waiting to clear the track area. A lot more racing could be done.

4. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

If I only used Saturday to base the event on, I'd never go back. Total chaos, dickhead cops, constantly changing pit rules, & volunteers that had no info were the norm that day.

However, Sunday was like a totally different event! Wow! Everything ran smooth & the racers had a lot of fun.

My 6-8 runs on Sunday sure made up for the 2 run clusterbleep of the day before!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and mike bowling like this.
  5. ELD

ELD

Video by Chris Peters

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Great event and a great time for sure, BUT...
    I spent all weekend in the pits and I can assure you there were a lot of upset racers Saturday. Many built cars, towed them half way (or all the way) across the country, waited around an extra week due to the weather delay and then only got 2 runs.
    The dog and pony show took up too much time. Also, having the cars return back down the track after each run takes up WAY too much time. You could more than double the number of passes each car got, and put on a better show for the spectators, by having the racers exit over to right and come around the back to get back into the pits. Yes, there would need to be a crossing guard or even a pedestrian bridge built for the spectators to get in. That would be a small price to pay to enhance the show for both the racers and spectators.

Then to ad insult to injury, the fee to race went up this year (to $200) and the racers did not get they jerseys, programs or goodie bags they got last year. The overall feeling for a lot of the racers was that TROG was becoming more about the photo ops, sponsors and making $$$ than about the racers.

On a more positive note, Sunday was much better and hopefully took the edge off of the frustrations many of the drivers were feeling.

I sure hope so, because I love the event and want to see it continue to be successful and to draw cars from all over the country. I totally look forward to next year.

7. ELD

ELD

Via Hemmings Motor News
    The Race of Gentlemen 2015
    David Conwill
    IMG_2272-700x525.jpg
    jason Sheets tackled The Race of Gentlemen alongside wife Jennifer, he in this Bantam-grilled Model T and she astride a 1947 Harley-Davidson FL. Image by J. Daniel Beaudry, all images by J. Daniel Beaudry or the author.

This past weekend marked the fourth running of The Race of Gentlemen and the second year in which Hemmings has been a proud sponsor. Despite a one-week postponement due to Hurricane Joaquin, attendance and participation remained high: Approximately 7,000 spectators hit the beach to watch pass after pass by 149 racers in period hop ups and mounted atop antique motorcycles. Mel Stultz, Bobby Green, the Oilers Car Club, and company truly made it look and feel as though an internal-combustion circus had set up camp on the beach in Wildwood, New Jersey.

Under very sunny skies, your intrepid reporters photographed and spoke with many racers, crew members, TROG cadre and spectators. At the same time, the Hemmings 1934 Ford heavy tow truck was on hand to assist stalled, stuck or otherwise immobile racers back to the pits, and our tent was garrisoned with folks eager to sell Hemmings gear, calendars and subscriptions to one or more of our four magazines, and just generally spread the word that Hemmings Motor News is still the same great resource to buy and sell the kind of original parts that go into building a TROG racer as it was in 1954 (with a lot of the same buyers and sellers, to boot!).

We are still digesting the thousands of images taken and dozens of interesting encounters had this weekend, but for now, please enjoy this sampling of our experience and share your own stories and ambitions for The Race of Gentlemen.

- See more photos at: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/10/13/the-race-of-gentlemen-2015/#sthash.muXulyoM.dpuf

8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Well said daddy

62hotcat likes this.
  9. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Perfectly said. As a driver who built a car and travelled many miles, this is exactly how I felt. It seemed as though they were more worried about turning a massive profit by advertising rather than actually racing. Racing on Saturday also seemed like you had to be part of the "in crowd"...Many favorites got to cut the line and have special treatment. We were only allowed 3 runs on Saturday...very disappointing after spending thousands of dollars to be there.

I think they took the hint from people complaining and Sunday was a much better day, it felt very similar to last years TROG where everyone had a chance to make multiple runs and have a lot more fun.

62hotcat likes this.
  10. ELD

ELD

Via Daily Mail UK
    Vintage American cars and motorcycles put on a dazzling display for delighted spectators as they hurtle down a New Jersey beach for 'The Race of Gentlemen'
    • The race was watched by excited spectators in Wildwood, New Jersey, who lined the beach to catch a glimpse
    • It was hosted by the Oilers Car Club/Motorcycle Club which was founded in 1947 and taken up by a new generation
    • In a nod to America's great motoring past all of the cars featured were American-made and produced pre-1935
    By BELINDA ROBINSON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    BARILLARO.jpg
    It was a scene that hearkened back to a bygone era as classic American cars and motorcycles hurtled down a beach for an event dubbed 'The Race of Gentlemen.'
    The exhilarating races were watched by excited spectators in Wildwood, New Jersey, who lined the beach on Saturday to catch a glimpse of the classic cars in all of their glory.
    Dozens of vintage cars and motorbikes were driven by men and women onto the sand to showcase the longevity of vehicles made by giants like Harley Davidson, Ford, Indian, and Excelsior.
    In a nod to America's great motoring past, all of the cars featured were American-made and had to be produced pre-1935 using parts from 1953 or older. All of the motorcycles on show had to be from 1947 or earlier, NJ.com reports.
    During the races, a woman dressed in white shorts added a touch of glamour as she held up a black and white flag to signal that the cars could rev their engines and begin the race. Some cars skidded along the terrain as they hurtled towards the finishing line, leaving sand in their wake.
    In one race, Twentieth Century Racing members Brittney Wilsen, of Aberdeen, South Dakota, and Jessi Combs, of Long Beach, California, battled it out in a 1 of 1 custom 1928 Harley Davidson motorcycle while Combs drove a twin-engine 1913 Ford Model T.
    Hosted annually by the Oilers Car Club/Motorcycle Club, which was founded in 1947, the event aims to celebrate American racing heritage. It also wants to showcase vehicles 'built for speed, endurance and beauty, keeping a time honored sport of competition alive' according to the club.

More photos and Video: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-display-Race-Gentlemen.html#ixzz3oSuMu9eJ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

11. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

Nailed it. I'll be back though.

The priority Saturday seemed to be satisfying sponsors, not the racers bringing the crowd there. And certain cars and people seemed to have an ez-pass to the front of the line.

62hotcat likes this.
  12. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Well said.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. ELD

ELD

Stephen Marino's Short Film "TROG" premiered at this year's Moto Film Fest last month, it is now posted on Vimeo, A short film about a member of the Oilers CC/MC, Meldon Van Riper Stultz III. He speaks about how The Race of Gentlemen came about and his views on the world.

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

If the return road was INSIDE the berm they had built, 8 ft wide (?), with ANOTHER berm and fence to protect spectators, it would work much more efficiently ( and give the spectators a close up look at the cars as they drove by). Safety first.

scarylarry and 62hotcat like this.
  15. tinsled

tinsled

Yes, we do - a couple shots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A clean & well built roadster, easy to look at.

kidcampbell71 and 63fdsnr like this.
  16. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

As a racer I will agree that Saturday could have been better run. I did see a few individuals hot lapping there bikes also. I spite of this I made 4 passes down the track. Sunday the event seemed to find its lick. The guy in the tuxedo instructed me and others to pick up the pace on the return road which helped get more cars down the track. Also keep in mind less cars were there sunday. I didn't really see the advertising issue everyone is speaking of, even so who cares it's nice to be able to brag about how our niche of the antique auto industry is drawing in big name sponsors. I didn't personally have any bad experiences with anyone at the whole event period. I will be back and am trying to figure out what to build for next year. However one of my pit crew members was treated very poorly by a organizer saturday morning. I had heard multiple complaints about that "gentlemen". All in all if you missed it sorry about your luck. These pictures might show 5% of what the whole experience was like. It is flat out unreal.
    Matt

gas pumper, ELD and engine138 like this.
  17. ELD

ELD

New Video by 5Ochevydood

18. HD Driver

HD Driver

This is about racing vintage hot rods and bikes, keep the sponsors small! We don't need corporate involvement ! We go here to get away from that everyday garbage! My .02

heavydumper and mike bowling like this.
  19. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Wow even this thread has been taken over by the advertising hipster pound clowns

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  20. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Most of them can't even turn a wrench.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

onekoolkat1950 likes this.
  21. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Just a heads up...I spoke to Mel on the phone last night for over an hour and today as well. I'm not going to speak for him nor am I going to defend what went down at TROG this weekend. I was very much pissed off about alot of things like many of you, figuring that the TROG we enjoyed is dead and that the corporate bullshit is taking over.I left on Sunday feeling I would not be back next year and let Mel know my personal feelings. This thread is clearly illustrating that I was not alone in my sentiment. After speaking to him, Mel was aware of most of the problems we're all upset over and wants to make it right..Hopefully making TROG better for everyone,racer and spectator. He's gonna chime in here at some point and address everyone.

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

note to self...find out what 'advertising hipster pound clowns' are

23. was a great event to look at - nice beach, nice view, wildwood is pretty cool
    for me one of the best events
    hope cu next year

onetruth1130 likes this.
  24. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

I don't know what show I was at but as a spectator this show was great some small issues with assholes riding bikes and walking on beach at end of track but think that was dealt with accordingly. I'll be back next year great job Oilers.

62hotcat likes this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm spinning a box-end on each one of my two trigger fingers right now, ha! Now I just need a tool belt to slam'm in after a quick gust of my booze heavy breath to clear the smoke.

26. mike bowling

mike bowling

So, be sure and stop by your local "Craftsman" tool vendor, and on the way enjoy a cold "Pabst Blue Ribbon" beer!! ( have your wife drive, safety first!!)
    Just saying, I understand the need for financial backing, but it got to be like the ads on a late night TV movie. ( I can still hear the announcer, and it's Tues. night , and I'm in Mass.)

62hotcat and Runnin shine like this.
  27. It was my first time there, and I was there just as a spectator not racing. I spent a lot of the weekend just amazed at the amount of work that must go into putting it on. I could probably find a few faults here and there, but it is a seriously cool event and the attention to detail is phenomenal. Great people, fucking amazing cars and bikes, the weather worked out after all, it was a damn good weekend and we're making plans to be back next year. I need to spend some time going through a LOT of photos, I'll get some posted up when I can.

gas pumper and ELD like this.
  28. ELD

ELD

Bam.inc and -Brent- like this.
  29. Actually the sponsors didn't bother me one bit. Cool that they embrace the spirit of the event and put the effort in to look the part. The tents, signage, bands, security etc etc etc and all the other stuff ain't free (especially at the level these guys work at).

30. ELD

ELD

Advertising?
    Oz and his girls.jpg 12095202_10205432504034553_1530872478185092220_o.jpg

kidcampbell71 and 63fdsnr like this.