Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1960 Impala rear wheel bearings....need advise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SGCustoms, Oct 12, 2015.

1. SGCustoms

SGCustoms
    from illinois

I am working on a 1960 Chevy Impala and I need to replace the rear wheel bearings and I need advise on how to do that. I already have the axles removed.

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

most Auto parts stores will press the old ones off and install the new bearings

3. Andy

Andy

It was common practice back when to take the axles to a parts store. They would sell you the new bearings and press the old ones off and the new ones on. All bets are off what happens now. I can imagine the confusion at AutoZone. A machine shop should do it now.

4. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I had to have them pressed off at a separate shop as the parts store here had no press.

5. SGCustoms

SGCustoms
    from illinois

Okay thanks guys! I will take it somewhere and have them done.

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

HAHA Auto Zone.
    "Wheel bearings on a 59 Impala? Is that aircooled?"

7. I worked in a repair shop in 1960 that wasn't too well equipped. Here's how the boss did it.
    1. Wrap shop rag around bearing and lay across anvil.
    2. Give the bearing outer race a good whack with a large hammer.
    3. Remove rag and dump out smashed pieces.
    4. Remove inner race with torch or hammer and chisel (slide off).
    5. Be sure you left the mounting flange on the axle, then slide new bearing on shaft.
    6. Find a suitable length of 1 1/2" (or whatever) pipe. Should contact inner race only.
    7. Hammer bearing onto axle with pipe like you would a fence post driver.
    Saw this done many times and it always worked fine.

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We broke the outer race the same way. Isn't it a ring that holds the bearing on that you cut with a torch or chisel then drive the inner bearing race off? We used to install 2 of the retainer rings on the left axle on dirt track cars to keep the bearing from pulling off and the axle sliding out.

Where I worked, we had "advanced" equipment to install the bearings. A frame that you put the axle in to use a 5 ton hydraulic jack to press the bearing on.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen a lot of 55/64 axles that were gouged by a torch when someone cut them off that way too. Usually following behind Bubba and Goober when the next owner brought the axle to the shop where I worked to have the bearings changed.

mikhett and captaintaytay like this.
  10. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

11. This procedure assumes the operator is proficient with a torch.

12. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

That was one of my first jobs when I got hired at the parts store. "You are now the official axle guy". Lol

I would split the lock with a chisel and remove the bearing on the press. We had an old door there to hide behind in case the bearing decided to fly apart. I never saw it happen but I was warned. Some were on there pretty good. The press had a guage and I saw the the needle get up there on the more stubborn ones. They would have a nice bang, scared the shit out of me every time.

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

These days you could use a 4-1/2 inch grinder to grind them real thin.