Register now to get rid of these ads!

302w to clevland heads??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Feb 5, 2010.

1. uncle buck

uncle buck

They both use the same motormounts , bellhousing and head bolt dimensins - although the 351c and 351w both use larger headbolt diameter than a 289-302 as mentioned.

2. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I'm running the cast iron Windsor Jr's on a 302 and am happy with it---

3. mrforddude

mrforddude

I my memory is still working, there was a place in Fort Smith AR that was building the intakes and there have been a few tech articles in like one of the all Ford mags (modified Mustang and Fords?) on how to do this and what all was required (special head bolts and such as already stated). Yeah they are cool but cost efficient...not so much.

If it were mine (which it obviously ain't) I would go with the GT40P's or look around for some used aluminum that you can pick up for a deal that you can match your whole engine to (cam, headers, intake yadda yadda...)

SBF are some fun little engines to play with and can make some crazy ass power if you do your homework and match all your components to maximize your package.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide...if it makes your sticker peck out that's all that matters...

4. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I got my set up from a cousin, intake, machined heads w/screw in studs and guide plates and boss pistons hung on rods. All I had to have was a .040 block and crank.
    $500.00 and since I hadn't done it, I now have.

5. birdman1

birdman1

I have NEVER know a chevy guy that can build a good Ford!! and the Cleveland-Boss 302 especially. But I know plenty of Ford engine builders that can build a chevy!! LOL

6. The 'Clevor' was the hot deal in the early 70s, but with the advances in cylinder head technology that came with the Mustang '5.0' is now just a curiosity. You can make more and useful power with modern aftermarket heads unless you're limited to iron OEM heads by class rules and are willing to sink big bucks into head mods. Guys forget that the racers used to machine about half of the exhaust ports off the heads then fitted them with 'extensions' to raise the ports for good flow. Can you say 'exhaust leaks' on the street?

One of the car mags did a 'Budget Boss 302' build in the early seventies with Cleveland heads. By using a mid-sixties OEM 289 4V intake with adaptors, it cosmetically looked like a 'factory' Boss. But all they got out of it was about 300 HP. The two-bolt block wasn't capable of the high RPM that the real Boss could turn, so it was a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing. Had the looks but not the performance.

7. caton462

caton462

2 barrel Cleveland heads and 400 heads before 1972 have 2.041 intake valves 1.655 exhaust, 4 barrel heads 2.191 intake 1.710 exhaust with smaller chambers. I used these because it was the easiest choice for making my own intake (no coolant passages to plug) then got lucky and found an aluminum intake to fit $70.00. Enough power to be fun and drive daily.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd just build a Cleveland in the first place...

Hnstray likes this.
  9. uncle buck

uncle buck

Another thread back from the dead....

10. town sedan

town sedan

Yes, but I always thought the 4bbl 351C heads on a 400 block could be fun. Maybe if I'm able to retire rich I'll play around with the idea. Guess I better start buying lottery tickets! -Dave

11. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a chevy guy and got a chance to build 3X fords cuz no one else would.. "he he" , and one crate motor install - tune. 1969 351W with flattops and some ford special brand motor sports cam with the 69 heads, a 289 nice 67 stang motor, and a 1970 351 Mustang Cleveland 4 bbl motor. Bought a nice Ford book from Summit......had all the "what to watch for".....need to be a scientist to understand all the valve train changes on 260-302's.. did not know how limited on lift some of the stocker heads are, Also the "Main Bearing Issues" that might snag a few guys due to the cylinder block distortion issues. better have a nice 2 lb hammer to "tap tap tap" the main caps or you will spin a main bearing.. All three vintage iron engines had a need for this little trick, put a inch lb torque wrench and verify you got the caps centered and settled. Other than that.....kind of neat engines to rebuild, just take your time or its Boat Anchor time.

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have a ozzie head 347 clevor would I do it again no to many good aftermarket Windsor style heads out there.

13. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Here is some info on flow comparisons flow.jpg

14. Yes it did . ^^^^
    Unlike many posting I have actually owned a Boos and drove it. You could not lug it around, it is not a grocery getter motor. The 302 was more than enough displacement for the free flowing heads, but you had to be willing to keep your revs in the 4K and up range. This is where you loose the common hot rodder; the common hot rodder does not want to run a motor that sounds like it may come apart at any moment.

Personally if I had the basic parts (heads and short block) I would build a clone. I couldn't build a real boss because the block was a little different, but I could build a sweet running Boss clone and I would not use the 2V heads, 4V and a sheet metal manifold, go big or go home. ;)

Note: just last night the missus asked me if we could own another Boss. I told her we could but it would probably not be in another Mustang. She chuckled and said, "'54 Corvette?" Funny that someone should drag this old thread back up today. LOL

15. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

When I bought my OT Mustang it had a 393ci Cleveland/top loader setup in it with 4V closed chamber heads. 11:1 compression and 4.11's on a spool. I regularly spun it to 7250 rpm grabbing gears quick and hard with a Hurst T handle Indy shifter. WHAT A FUN COMBO! I rebuilt it and sold it to a lucky chap to build my first BBF to run quicker. But I sure do wish I still had it. I would absolutely build another.

16. George

George

Lots of people make similar comments, but the Aussie 302C has the 4V valves & it seems to run like any other engine.

17. Check your PMs

The boss that Ford built here was a Trans Am motor, the ones that ended up in street cars were just detuned enough to make them drivable. They were designed to run at high RPM and if you didn't drive them that way they were a stone.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a '71 4v cleveland core here, lately been thinking about building a pseudo Boss-351 from it and sticking it in my '67 Falcon. The last time I built a cleveland was 35 yrs ago, but they always ran hard, and I have learned a lot since then.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

back in the day, I had two friends that had heavily modified Boss 302's, one in a '68 Falcon similar to my own. I wouldn't build one if you are going to insist on the typical "HAMB" gear ratios, they would really be a dog pulling 3.08s. Well, hell, pretty much EVERYTHING is a dog pulling 3.08's:rolleyes: but a Boss 302 would REALLY be a DOG.

20. I too love the Cleveland Hamster, but if you want to get serious about it you first have to over come the oiling problems that the Cleveland motor has. you and I can overcome that problem but the average Joe probably wouldn't even worry about it until it was too late.

Good idea though. I personally would stuff it in my current mule but that is because I don't own a falcon. LOL

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Cleveland heads have their valves in different locations than Windsor heads, therefore the valve pockets in your Windsor pistons won't line up. If you're camming this thing (and why wouldn't you) this will be a genuine problem.

If you try to use Cleveland pistons, their compression height is lower than Windsor pistons. The Boss engine solution was to use "long rods" (the same length as 289 rods) to make up for the shorter piston height.

All said, this seems like a lot of swapping for questionable results, especially when you can take your 302 and swap in a set of aftermarket heads that outperform the Cleveland heads in a couple of hours with the engine still installed.

22. Well I am a Chevy guy and I probably don't have a clue what I am talking about because Fords are so much different than any other 4 stoke internal combustion engine :rolleyes: but you can buy pistons for the 302 that have no valve pockets and cut your own. *or you can order pistons with the proper valve pockets. ;)

*JE pistons can be custom ordered for any application they machine all their pistons from forged blanks

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The big problem you have is that the '73-'76 SBF block had a higher deck height to lower compression for emissions/fuel economy. When combined with the larger chamber 351 heads, you're gonna have a lot of compression loss unless the deck and/or the heads were cut down during the rebuild. Since it's bored over, you especially want to know what pistons were used because '73-'76 engines had a 1.605" stock compression height, while most other SBF pistons are 1.600" and "rebuilder" pistons are 1.585". The worst combination would be a stock deck height, rebuilder pistons, and 351 heads. You'll probably be down below 7:1 compression ratio.

24. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If money, tools, and skills are no object, you can always get what you need.

25. Some of us are too stupid to know that you can build a screw together hot rod I guess.

I found some places that you can buy pistons for a boss 302 some of them are no more expensive than the pistons that I buy for my Chebby street motors.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Puistons+Boss+302

26. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yes, Beaner, but you need the connecting rods to match. In a pinch, you can use 289 rods, but they aren't as beefy as the genuine Boss rods.

27. Yea you know what they say speed costs money. :D

I personally would just use the 302 rods and get my pistons sans pockets, but not everyone has that option. There is another option, H beam rods are a really affordable option these days. So many options for the working man. LOL :D

28. The deck height difference is only .023" so it really isn't a problem - you just need to know what you are working with and accommodate as necessary. I don't think this guys (Mr.H) motor had Cleveland heads, I think he had 351W heads, so the chambers aren't a big issue - but then it's been 5 years so he probably sorted it out ;)

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The deck height difference is only 0.023", but don't forget piston compression height, especially since it was bored. Original pistons were 1.605"CH with dish tops which is kind of rare in OEM Ford world (stock was only 8:1 compression). If the rebuilder put in 1.585" pistons, they'll be way down in the hole at TDC. Also, the OEM heads were 57cc and 351W heads can be as large as 69cc.

I encountered the same issue on a '75 302. My solution was to swap in 289 connecting rods bringing the 1.585" pistons 0.011" out of the hole.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I wouldn't use a flat-top piston in a pseudo Boss 302,and if you are all scared of compression and cam:rolleyes:, again, you have no business messing with canted valve ford stuff. Its not rocket science, you just use Boss 302 pistons and 289 (or better, aftermarket, most stock sbf rods are broach-cut and have NO BUSINESS in a serious motor) rods, but like I said, just build a cleveland...
    I should probably just stay out of this one, as a general rule, reality has no place in these threads...