Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

caddie-1080x650.jpg

Oilfield Caddy!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    63fdsnr, Hotdoggin DaddyO and Stogy like this.
  4. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

Neverhappen.jpg

And best wishes to the happy couple!

old digger likes this.
  5. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

oldsmobile.jpg

Lovely view of Alcatraz in the background! I wonder what those McMansions on the right would fetch today!

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  6. unkamort

unkamort

Those Mcmansions were military housing in the Precedio... and yeah, the real estate types are bustin'chops to get at 'em.

The Arizona Old Crow likes this.
  7. 4everblue

4everblue

I thought bears at first too, then I noticed the legs, I'm going with turkeys

8. MMM RED

MMM RED

Stogy likes this.
  9. We have a number of wild turkeys here in town, they certainly aren't afraid of us humans.

10. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

NO, It ain't fer sale!!! I'm gunna fix it some day!

Stogy likes this.
  11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP---------How you doing in all that rain???????????

12. Union Avenue widening project. 1933 Near NE Russell. City of Portland photo
    [​IMG]

student of steel likes this.
  13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

14. swi66

swi66

15. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

16. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

boatlaunch.jpg
    Dunkin' day! Mr. Boots gets ready to take a swim.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  17. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

yeehaw.jpg

Fill 'er up, Podner!

57 HEAP likes this.
  18. bedwards

bedwards

I always thought good afternoon entertainment would be a six pack and sit and watch a busy boat ramp

19. MMM RED

MMM RED

That and watching someone anchoring.
    ...Jay

RedlandMaggie likes this.
  20. flyin-t

flyin-t

It's great fun. We use to ski the L.A. river back in the day before work and on weekends. Launched at a very popular and fairly step ramp called Golden St. ramp. You're exactly right, a cooler full of beer watching folks try to launch and retrieve their boats is better than a movie.
    The L.A. river use to be regularly dredged up a mile or so from where it dumps near the Queen Mary. Disgusting water and we'd see all type of things floating, couches, boxes, lumber, all kinds of garbage even a VW roof one time. Don't know if there was a car under it.
    Kid got decapitated on a jet ski, he saw a boat go by and swung out and back to jump the wake not realizing there was a skier and a ski rope. Old friend of mine had just been hired as a city lifeguard and was the rookie, had to keep diving until he found the head.

21. Watching people dock their boats in a busy marina can be pretty entertaining also - the gas dock will easily show the beginners from the seasoned in no time flat.

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Wallenda" on tour!

23. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Yeah, kinda like watching people parallel park in Manhattan. Separates the city slickers from the country folk real quick.

24. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

Watching people trying to brake while sliding down a hill covered in black ice is pretty entertaining too. Seem to think they can do it, even after seeing the little herd of dented cars nosed up against each other at the base of the hill.

loudbang likes this.
  25. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

We used to take our racing Crackerbox the ' Sparkler ' down there to Golden Ave , that's what they called the launch ramp

We would wait till after 5 when the shore patrol would go off duty and run back up the river , then back out towards the Queen Mary and sometimes it would betting a bit dark and you could see the flames coming out of the exhaust DSCN0494_008.JPG

pipes and the white water roostertail thrown up by the prop

Those were fun times

Paul B and loudbang like this.
  26. flyin-t

flyin-t

Golden Ave...Golden St launch either way, I've lived here my entire life are heard both.
    We probably crossed paths, I worked in the boat biz for decades, built several race only boats at Rogers, Howard's, and Advantage to name a few, but mostly river racers and family boats. Spent more hours than I can count at the stadium. I miss the drags down there. Always wanted to ride in a cracker but never did. Our salesman campaigned one for a while in the 80s, thats as close as I got.

Lot's of fun, ski in the morning in the stadium, the river or the hot water channel before work and have the place to ourselves.

27. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey T

You wont have to wait to long as from what hear they are bringing blown fuelers back pretty soon in a few weeks, since they are run by Lucas oil now and they have the Crackers in the show too

I will try to get the date it might be on Turkey week end ? but will post it here

I was in the circle racing stuff from 68' to 76', and after that river racers & ski boat engines

28. flyin-t

flyin-t

At the stadium? I can't imagine them holding an event there during Thanksgiving week, the same week as the Regatta at Parker. That's in it's 69th year.
    It'd be very cool to have drags back in Long Beach and I hope what you're saying is true, I haven't heard a word about it. If they're pedal powered hulls, the city will be all over it.

29. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I can't believe it either since they are so loud now, they will probby break some windows in those condo's on the spectator side and if not they will sure rattle some coffee cups

If they do run there its most likely a one time deal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.