Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Chrysler Newport (4dr post)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wally, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

I found what might be the lowest original mile 1964 Newport in the country.
    15,900 miles on the clock! It's for sale and I'm on the fence because it has 4 doors.
    Nice car all around (duh! It has less than 16,000 actual miles) Just don't know what they are worth. Would $4,000 be too much? I don't need it but I hate to see a good deal get away.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

4 g's for a good running 1964 anything in good original shape sounds about right to me.

the HAMB lowballers club will be here to discredit me any minute

4. brad2v

brad2v

Agreed. And it'd be a great driver.

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I guess it's early, I figured everybody would be saying scrap prices or parts car due to the 4 doors........

6. Well 49 I am so tight I squeak and I would give 4K for it. I may not accept the mileage claim but if it is clean and runs well it is worth 4K

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You do not state condition but my Old Cars Price Guide says $3120 for "good" condition.

The 64 Chrysler is one of my favorites for looks, it has a suave understated elegance copied by BMW many years later.

It is one of the best, most advanced cars of its time with excellent 361 big block V8, 3 speed Torqueflite automatic, torsion bar suspension and Centerplane drum brakes, all state of the art for 1964. 383 or 413 V8 optional at extra cost.

In ride, comfort and performance it is perfectly capable of handling today's road and hiway conditions.

Drawbacks, it is one of the last models to have "old fashioned" components like pushbutton drive, front drum brakes, removable rear hubs. None of these are deal breakers but do make repairs a bit more challenging.

We don't seem to have the prejudice against 4 door sedans like we used to 50 years ago. Possibly because practically all cars today have 4 doors, and the 2 door hardtop and convertible are no longer made.

If I had a chance I would grab a car like that as fast as I can. Of course condition dictates value.

Then put it on the road without changing anything, just repair or replace non functional parts, like tires, battery, brakes, give it a full lubrication, change all fluids and drive it.

I wouldn't change anything until I drove it for a few months. OK maybe new tires, shocks, and an alignment. You may be surprised how nice it drives and how much power it has in stock condition. Which you would never know if you start off by making changes.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  8. Rusty
    I don't know about Canada real well but the big block cars all came standard with drum brakes into the '70s down here with few exceptions. You could special order 4 piston discs on some of the A body cars with a big block. They used the same caliper as the Mustang.

I think but am not certain that the '64 still had a ball and trunnion drive shaft as opposed to a normal U joint. they are a little harder to repair or at least different to repair if you are not used to them.

Not argumentative just for information.

I think when one is looking at a luxury car the door count kind of goes out the window. The deal on a luxury more door is not to try and make it something that it is not, a little restyling will go a long way with a 4 door. At least that's my opinion on the subject.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I said it came with drum brakes. But they were good drum brakes, as good as you could get in 1964. You are right about the ball and trunion universal, and I hear new replacements are hard to get. Luckily they seldom need replacement if kept greased, and we are talking about a car with only 16000 miles on it.

If such a car is serviced and put back in commission it should run at least 100,000 miles with minimal upkeep IF the owner can resist the temptation to hop it up and mess with it. But, the 64 Chrysler is a strong running car in its own right and doesn't need anything extra although, in heavy traffic disc brakes might be nice.

For $4000 I don't see how you could go wrong.

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Sweet luxo barge for sure.
    Lube it and love it. 4 doors, who cares.
    That's where life happened, we all grew up with mucho puerto.

11. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

more doors are better received these days than in the past

12. Squablow

Squablow

If it's really mint, it could be worth that, but this era Chrysler is not a real desirable one. I had a '65 300-L with 413 and buckets/console with mostly original paint and low miles (although not as low as this one, around 60K I think) it wasn't super clean but it was a nice running driving car and I had to work to get $3200 out of it. That was a letter-series 2 door hardtop.

If you're looking for a really clean old car to keep and you're not picky it's a good price, if you're hoping to resell it for a double profit or something, this probably isn't the one.