Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tech Week-Brake line bender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Oct 6, 2015.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Here is my brake line bender for 3/16 brake tube..Bends have 5/16 id radius, smallest that will form well..Made two .825 rolls x 7/16 long on lathe with grooves, .190 wide by .095 deep with .0937 radius form tool..Grooves match from one end of roll which is welded to HF 9" pliers...Does take some hand strength and coordination/planning for direction of bend..Sorry camera dying so one pic not too clear..

Attached Files:

2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm makin' that one!;)

3. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Are the rolls welded solid to the pliers or they on an axle and rotate ? Not sure from the photo

4. Solid. Neat tool. Old guy with arthritis would have a tough time using it. But it's the sharpest bend I've seen for 3/16.

5. Noland

Noland

very cool, you probably could use vise-grips instead of pliers so you wouldn't have to do so much squeezing all the time. Nice tool though

6. Brentphx

Brentphx

Nicely done, suggestions on where to get the rollers to weld on?

7. Hey seb, that's pretty cool,
    Don't be upset when it pops up here for tech week but I've got a brake line bender tech in the works. Mine is a bit different though, I think every box would like to have them both

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. He made them

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Brentphx

Brentphx

Aaaagh, yep. Reread and saw it this time. Was reading on my phone, in the dark, before 6 am lol

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Its all good, more the merrier..The grooves in mine may work as well with a square bottom, I didn't try because I had the radius tool..I picked the Pliers a little bit on length but a lot on how they fit my hand as I didn't think squeezing would be a problem but holding/rotating would..In my case I was I was pretty close to comfortable for me, the bends in the pic are a small portion of my "testing", I got a little carried away.:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. I have several tubing benders and will add this one to the quiver! There are lots of times on brake lines you need a really tight bend like this!

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Very nice bends. You did use seamless tubing, right? And a double flare at the ends?

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Seamless I don't know, used what I had on hand..I use double flares but this is not a tech for the whole brake line fab. just the bending part..