Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

Norb:

It looks like it will be mostly complete,but with some assembly required...lol

Scott

2. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

So car or no car for meltdown next year? Lol

3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Seriously Scott you sold the pony you've had that thing forever haven't you crap there ain't no way I'd sell the ol model t but I guess if the price was right I can't blame you lol and no worries bout this ol thing in the back yard it's all good

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

I told him I'm driving it at the Meltdown next year no matter WHO owns it....lol!

Scott

beebee78 and 91whitestang like this.
  5. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Bender.Youre as solid as they get,brother.
    I just dug out that other Hydro stuff at Dad's the other day too,so it will be coming south with us when we come to get the car:)

Scott

6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

No problem man keep us informed on the status of the ol shaker

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I guess it's always better to bow out as a champion.

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dog_Patch likes this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one for sale on Racing Junk but only because they wont let me race it at the Meltdown.

10. Yeah I think Gabriel is raising the bar too - my days of lining up with him are long gone o_O

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What's the story there?
    I feel like a mushroom.

12. I think he is looking for a lighter car for next season. I'm just pondering paint :rolleyes:

13. bigslim55

bigslim55

Didn't get to work on car tonight, I needed a back adjustment & my muscles feel like I had a workout with Arnold... Try again for Thursday! Anyone hitting the Iron Invasion in Woodstock Saturday???
    Jimbo...

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jim you should have taken my offer you would be shopping for new rear tires rather than needing a back adjustment.
    I work cheep just need some beer and your close to the border that some Pat Travers on the boom box would be about right.

15. bigslim55

bigslim55

Salty, would you be referring to RADIOACTIVE...? LOL... Thanks for the offer! Yea new tires & wider rims...!
    I'm wondering now who the Okiedoker going to have a match race with...?
    Jimbo...

16. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got one fiberglass door on and the other one done soon, it will be nice to shave off about 130 lbs. Plans are to build a set of 1 7/8 fenderwell headers, my 1 5/8 are choking me down. Move battery to trunk, remove inner fenderwells and what ever else to shave some weight.

loudbang, fast30coupe and bigslim55 like this.
  17. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Pictures
    Whose doors did you use and how do they fit what are you doing for windows?

18. 55chieftain

55chieftain

VFN doors, fit is ok. I got the lexan at Lowes and screwed it to the flange. I'll worry about operating windows down the road. I'll get some pics for you .

19. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I'm still working on a better way to mount them. Right now just have them spaced out from the hinges. I'm going to try to build an inner structure type deal to bolt them in like factory doors. Trying to take some of the flimsiness out of them also.
    Unlimited products sells them with the inner structure but not sure how good they are? I got a pretty good deal on these so went this route with mine.
    I used black #6 allen head button screw for the Lexan and figured to do it this way instead of rivets. Standing furthur back you can't even see the screws with the black background I painted behind the glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Dog_Patch, Tickety Boo and saltflats like this.
  20. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

They look like they fit well. I was thinking about doing glass doors, but I don't think I have the patience at this point. Maybe before I paint the car. Keep up the good work.

21. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks, one thing I found out with mounting the doors, they were pretty flimsy when open going up and down with the door flex. With a simple 90 degree bracket on the unused inner top hinge bolt hole to the end of the door was like night and day differance.

[​IMG]

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  22. Them doors look really good. Did they have the stock mounting location on them or did u have to build something to make them work. My ford doors were hollow had to build aluminum brackets inside the door to bolt the hinges up. Also not sure how much fiberglass experience have but I would make an ajustable turnbuckle of some sort from the top hinge to the bottom corner on the opposite end. This will allow u to take the sag out of the door in the hot summer sun. Fiberglass doors tend to sag in the heat

fast30coupe likes this.
  23. 55chieftain

55chieftain

These doors were hollow as well. They bolt to the stock hinges with spacers . They still need some more adjustment . If I was going to do a turnbuckle I might just bolt a tab on the bottom inside corner than run it to the spacer at the top. My little bracket deal really made a big differance I might add one at the bottom and see how it goes first before doing that.

24. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Hmm it's tempting were they easy to fit. Was it just shimming or did you have to do glass work?

25. 55chieftain

55chieftain

It took quite a bit of time to get them this close. The top spacers were almost 4" and the bottom an inch. The other door has more spots where it doesn't line up , but I won't worry about it till it's time for paint which could be never lol.

26. This is how I did mine. The hinge bracket is aluminum and is panel bonded to the fiberglass so the fiberglass by the hinge is really strong. Anyone not familiar with panel bond it's basically what holds most cars together now days so once it is glued it's not comming apart. I Still haven't made the turn buckle for the inside yet but I plan on it.

Attached Files:

loudbang, Dog_Patch and 55chieftain like this.
  27. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Looks a lot better than mine, I don't have any experience or welder for aluminum. I'm using square tubing spaced out to the door from the hinge. If I build something it will look similar to the factory deal and bolt it to the end of the door like my small bracket than a support bracket on the other end. If my old door were total junk I would be tempted to cut them apart and use some of that section.

strokedstang331 likes this.
  28. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

What are you going to do for your windows?

29. Mine will have lexan the go up and down. This is a pic of my 31 chevy of kinda how I plan on making them go up and down. My buddy did these ones before I bought it from him. They are spring loaded and the bolt just pushes in to move it to the next groove. These ones only have up or down but u can machine different slots if u want them to be more ajustable. Mine will probably have more slots so it will be a little lighter

Attached Files:

loudbang and saltflats like this.