Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects World's Slowest Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Prewar, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Body at the blaster.jpg body at the blaster 2.jpg body at the blaster 3.jpg

Next was to take the body to the blaster and get it set in epoxy primer. This was an inspirational step for me as I could see the body with some color other than rust.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So that's how a Model A looks without rust. I'm still at the collecting parts and trying to get a garage built stage on mine. Looks like you have made some positive progress.

3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great looking build! Subscribed! I am also working on a special coupe.

4. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Good luck Mr48. It's a lot of fun doing the hunting.

Thanks Binger. You've got a great looking car. Much more involved than mine.

5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

My car is coming along slowly too. I hope to have it driving next summer. I have been working on mine about 7 years.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  6. OK, thanks for explaination

7. LOL I have had my tubes tied, cutting my balls off seemed a little extreme. :eek: :D

I like where you re going with it but I doubt that it will be the world's slowest. you will be in good company though. ;)

8. jazz1

jazz1

Looks good. Its only slow if progress has stopped!. Agreed that getting the primer on is definitely a game changer.. it also exposes a lot of dents and dings that had previously gone unnoticed..

9. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Slow? I've been working on my woodie for over ten years! (man my arm's sore);) Looks like your stuff is coming along nicely.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

You're welcome.

Thanks Jazz1

Progress had unfortunately stalled for a while. Moving in the middle of this project didn't help. I'm currently back on it, but busy at work so we'll have to see how much I can get done. This was the first time I had an old rusty body blasted. I wasn't sure what kind of swiss cheese would be exposed. I was so pleasantly surprised at the condition of the body, that I wasn't too disappointed at the newly discovered dings.

Ha. Maybe you should get some help with your woodie, it always seems to help things go faster!

chryslerfan55 and jerseyboy like this.
  11. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

IMG_3975.JPG IMG_3979.JPG IMG_4181.JPG IMG_4180.JPG IMG_4182.JPG Right Rear Subrail Repaired 3.jpg So I've been working on the subrails with my new welder. Not too bad. I have decided to repair the left rear rail instead of replacing.

12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Those look great. I have been doing the exact same thing on my project. I got the sub rail repaired and am on the wheel well and quarter repair.

13. looking good. I may be giving you a run for the worlds slowest banger build, my '29 Model A cabriolet build has been going on/ on hold/ and now in final paint stage since 1958! ...but as long as you don't quit on it, they eventually get built.
    Good looking subrail repair. Mine were wood and had to be totally replaced a few years ago with new wood. In the sixties, dad and I tried a repair of the back half, but the wood subrails always sagged at the doors.

Bangers are fun, keep building. Subscribed.

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Damn that is impressive! Started mine in 09 and thought I was slow. Hope to drive mine on road this week. And have seats before New Year?

The37Kid likes this.
  15. sololobo

sololobo

keep after it, everything looks super so far. gotta love an A coupe, best wishes on the build

16. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks Binger, I am really impressed with your Special Coupe. I'll be looking at it for my next steps...

Russ, I won't make it another 50-sumthin' years. That'd put mine completed over 100 years after you started yours. I'm making some progress!

Thanks sololobo!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

After finishing the sub rail repairs, I invited some friends to come by for a lifting party. Woohoo! 5 minutes and 12 bolts later it was all over. Kinda like prom night, except this time, I was the one who was disappointed. Not really, but it was my 1st time putting a body on a Model A, and quite frankly, I had more trouble mounting the tires. Go figure.

This has all been very inspiring. I have treated the inside of the gas tank with evapo-rust and it has come out very well. This seems to be impressive stuff. The rust is almost gone. I have rebuilt the original fuel valve and installed a "pencil" filter. This should keep any new rust from clogging the jets in the carb.
    IMG_4192-2.JPG

18. Looks great man!

19. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks Cactus1

20. Good looking motor, your build is coming along nicely, enjoying this thread.

21. captain j

captain j

Looking good! Nice work so far

22. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Its been a while since I had a chance to do anything to the World's Slowest Hot Rod, but today a couple of friends came by to lend a hand. We got a LOT done. Gas tank and cowl panels installed. The cowl panels were the cheap replacement panels which no holes drilled and they required a fair amount of massaging to fit. They're still not right, but fitment isn't too bad right now. We installed the dash panel and the wiring that goes along with it including repop pop out switch, ammeter, and dash light. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the replacement panel fit. Rewired distributor installed, new battery and cables installed, coil and wiring, done. Radiator installed and plumbed. Doors installed. We had to replace a body side hinge half, and I'm still working on the lower passenger replacement hinge. Fuel lines plumbed, new sediment bowl and filter installed.

All of this and I still had time to take the girl out to dinner.

All in all, a great day! IMG_4532.JPG IMG_4532.JPG IMG_4533.JPG IMG_4539.JPG IMG_4543.JPG IMG_4538.jpg IMG_4530.jpg

23. FlatJan

FlatJan

since 1962?
    and I thought I was slow ;)
    But you got great progress now so keep on the good work. I am not half as far as you are :)
    FJ

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Cowl looks good. When it is time to install the welting buy the good stuff from Roy Nacewitz, I installed some lesser stuff and it was a royal pain. Bob

25. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

The car looks great, you've got to remember " that all good things take time ". So it has taken you awhile to do the car that doesn't matter. What matters is you are doing it. Good luck with the car.

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looking good, glad to see that you are still making progress.

27. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Not since '62, that was The37Kid! I'm thinking he's had his since them. I've been working on this for about 5 - 1/2 years.

Bob, where do you get the good stuff? I already have the other stuff from the "A" vendors, but would be interested in Roy's.

Thanks guys, the kind words are always an inspiration!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Looking good. I'm not sure how I missed this thread.

29. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Lots of stuff going on here Tiny. I discover new stuff here all the time!

30. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Got some gas in the coupe today and it fired right up. All seemed well until it started running rough and died. It wouldn't start and was backfiring through the carb and exhaust. Hmmm. Timing seems to be moving around, as in creeping advance and I'm not sure what that's about. The distributor cam was still tight but about 45 degrees advanced. I'm a little confused, but that's normal.

Outback likes this.