Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects World's Slowest Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Prewar, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

So, for more years than I would like to admit, I've been working on my '29 Ford Model A. I am building a prewar style hot rod. I am trying to be as period correct as possible, with maybe a few ideas from other eras. It is a special coupe and will remain an unchopped highboy.

This is my first complete build from scratch and I will be trying to as much myself as time and reason allows(no reason to buy a $1,000 machine to do one $100 job).

I have done a lot of work so far, and will try to catch up on some pics and stories.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'll be over there...patiently waiting

Outback, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  3. And I'll be here patiently waiting also.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. And I'm here.. patiently waiting also.HRP

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I started on my Roadster in 1962, think I'm leading this race. Bob

WC145, deuceguy, clem and 6 others like this.
  6. AHHHH anybody can go fast.

7. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

So i missed that the World's Slowest Hot Rod reference had multiple meanings. I was referring to the fact that it will be running a banger, which at first will be pretty much stock, and as I shake it out , I will add some bolt on speed parts. Hopefully sub 30 second 1/4 mile.

I'm having trouble getting the pics to upload. I'm getting an error message "There was a problem uploading your file"

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have the same problem with posting pics here - sometimes clicking restart of computer when you get error message helps. other times could only post pics in the evening. sometimes nothing works. have posted a lot of pics in the past. can post & share elsewhere without problems. maybe Windows 10 hic up?

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe administrator or web techs can look into this. I experience it too. I just keep uploading till it takes. Sometimes I click into more options then upload or click preview and upload. Perhaps it may be a volume thing. Can you imagine how many pics are being loaded at once on this sight.
    World's Slowest Hot Rod...I thought you meant its still in the garage sitting still and taking a long time to build like the way I do things around here :D

10. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks Jalopy Joker. I have an iMac and have restarted it. Still not working.

Stogy, that is also happening. This is taking way longer than I thought it would, although I'm not surprised.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

OK, so dragging and dropping appears to be working!

Chassis in driveway.jpg Close up chassis in driveway.jpg
    Here is the chassis as it was brought home. I got some things out to get it started.

12. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Got the body home.jpg Here is the body in the back of my 4 x 8 trailer.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Prewar I just tried doing an edit and load a pic to my previous post and got an error message several times. I logged out of the Hamb, logged back on selected stay logged on, went back to thread and clicked upload and used same pic and it worked twice. So try that...

You got it cool...

14. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

First things first. I got a 6V battery, checked the oil, set up a temporary fuel supply, set the timing and tried to start it. It started right up and ran well. That is when I thought I may as well run the banger, she's wanting to run and I'll give her another chance at life.

15. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Next was the brakes. I had never worked on mechanical brakes, but they were pretty easy to understand. I picked up the Les Andrews book, joined the Ford Barn, and with the help of local Model A guru Jerry Isbell, I was on my way.

Backing plate before.jpg
    backing plate after.jpg

16. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

I wanted to stay pretty true to the Era, but I'm no expert so I went ahead and lowered the front end. I reversed the eye on the front main leaf with the help of my friend Chopper and his press.

We traced the original spring arch on the floor of his porch for reference. Then we marked a line every inch on the leaf and put it in the press. After it matched the original arc, it was ready to install, less a couple of other leafs left out.

front spring traced on ground.jpg
    front main spring in press.jpg

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice work, good to see a coat of paint on the shoes and carefully bent cotter pins. Bob

V8-m likes this.
  18. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

I got sent the original Model A front axle to Okie Joe to have it dropped. He also cut the actuator arm bolt holes from the spring perches, heated and bent the steering arms, and cut off my balls(steering), and drilled them for '32 style balls. axle back from Okie Joe.jpg

19. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks The37Kid, I'm trying to do the best job I can do.

20. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Now for the rear spring. I got a T spring, lot a couple of leafs and stretched it to the perches. I probably got about 2" down.

I was concerned about the smaller area of contact with the crossmember so I traced the arcs and cut rock maple shims to make up the difference in the arc and disperse the weight across the area of the crossmember as originally designed. installing T spring in rear.jpg

21. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

getting the chassis and engine cleaned up.jpg getting the chassis and engine cleaned up.jpg
    Here's the engine, tranny, and frame cleaned up and painted.

22. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

The engine has a Miller Machine rebuild tag from 4/49. engine rebuild tag 4:49.jpg

23. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Slow..........maybe. Cool............most definitely

Outback, Prewar and eddie1 like this.
  24. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks Waxhead!

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I think I'm very much in the race too :)

26. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

You do pretty work sir! What are you planning to do to the body?

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

glad got pics posted - can be a challenge. Thanks for info on build

28. Is this an issue? Im running a model A spring with some leaves removed and never thought about the contact area. do you think it may crack the crossmember?

29. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Ha ha. Apparently a common thread here.

Thank you. I'm making the necessary repairs to the metal, installing new wood, and eventually, the leatherette top. No current plans for a chop or channel.

I guess I figured it out. I might be dumb, but I am not stupid.

I was only concerned with the T spring because it has a tighter arc, and therefore a smaller contact area with the crossmember. Nothing to do with the removed springs. I'm always a little cautious however.

30. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

It looks fantastic. Good job