Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

looks like a real heavy chop in that reflection!

2. ahshoe

ahshoe

Hers's a couple of pics of my frenched in taillights with Lee lenses

Attached Files:

KustomCandy and daddio211 like this.
  3. your car looks great man!

4. Slopok

Slopok

I can't believe how by just putting your car into one shade of primer transformed the entire look. Looks very Smooth to me, nice job. Lookin forward to seeing it in color.

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

LOL , that's exactly what I thought too !

They look good. I actually bought a set of frenching buckets to install on mine , but decided to go old-school on mine , and did the whole round bar style french. I'm happy with the results so far.

Thanks a lot !

Thanks - I know what you mean, it looks so different than it has for the last 5 years . I'm so happy to see it all one color, even if that color is just primer , lol ! I'll be totally beside myself once it has shiny paint on it - a bunch more final bodywork before that though :( .

6. Hey Allen,
    Are you going to do any striping?

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I love pinstriping (even my KitchenAid is striped) , but I don't know how much (if any) striping this car will have. The paint scheme I have in mind might not lend itself to pinstriping too well. Maybe just a touch ... ;)

8. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439333024.695409.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439334051.609237.jpg here's my version no tunnel just frenched. H. I'm

daddio211 and vwdave30 like this.
  9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Your taillights look nice. I'll have to shoot a couple pics of mine, now that there's color on them. Similar, but different ... If that's clear, lol !

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I've been driving the car quite a bit, both to work and on short runs for family stuff. It's amazing how much attention it gets , even just in primer with no side trim . Pretty cool.
    I decided to get the wipers working , so I inquired to Chris at Shoebox Central about the electric kit he sells, and he said they're damn nice, so I ponied-up. It installed damn easy, and I wired it up to my new harness ( in the open spot for electric wipers , naturally) . The only run was the fact that Chris told me that wiper blades are backordered till at least fall :( , so I had to get creative . I ended up buying new arms and blades for a 1965 MGB (I restore them for a living , that's why , lol) . They look just like the original stuff, and I know I can get blades anytime, and much cheaper than replacement stuff for the Ford. The passenger arm needed a tweek due to the wipers running opposite each other on the Ford - very easy mod . Now I'm ready to go, in case I get caught in the rain (which will happen , for sure) . So thanks to Chris for the thumbs-up on the wiper conversion.
    Now to get that Maverick rear in the car , and change the 3" blocks over to 2" blocks (with taper) to keep my tail from dragging while loaded with gear on my route 66 trip. That will be happening soon, as well as a king pin rebuild.
    Stay tuned !

11. daddio211

daddio211

Sounds like you and Chris need to form a partnership!

12. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have a Newport wiper motor and it works great. It was one of the first things I did when I made it my daily driver. You'll love the maverick rear end.

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I hear ya ! It's been a while since I ordered parts , but I've made up for it recently. More to come as well :(

I was planning on using the vacuum wipers, even got a vacuum cannister to install to help out. Only recently did I decide to entertain the thought of the conversion. I was thinking about my route 66 trip, and how it would stuck to be stuck in the rain in the middle of nowhere with crappy wipers. I saw that Chris sold them just like other places, so I did the right thing and bought from him. I called him for other parts and asked him about it while I had him on the phone. On his recommendation , I ordered it right then and there. It's cool how it hooks right to the stock brackets and stuff. It installed pretty easily, even all by myself , although the extra support bracket took a bunch of tweaking to make fit. All told , I'm sure I'm going to be very happy with it.

I'll be getting the Maverick rear ready over the next week. Can't wait !

14. Icufltrn

Icufltrn

Very cool, I'll be watching this for sure.

15. jerseymike

jerseymike

hey allen, haven't been on here in forever. car looks great! even just putting it in primer made a huge difference. glad to see your on the road now. man it's come a long way! happy for you. mike

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hey Mike - haven't talked to you in waaay too long, dude. I've been driving the heck out of the shoe since it's on the road , hundreds of miles ! It's only in primer , but gets a TON of attention - maybe because I'm driving it, not just showing it off, lol. I haven't done much to out lately, just having fun driving it. I've also been helping Jerry get his car done for the race of gentelmen. Plenty of late nights ! Will be working on my car soon though.
    I can't wait to see your car get finished. THAT mother is going to be a show-stopper ! How's it coming along ? Got one word for you ... PICTURES !!

I didn't forget I owe you a ride, my friend ...
    Sent you a PM , btw

17. jerseymike

jerseymike

since they changed everything i don't know how to post pictures anymore.

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's not really that hard ... hell , even I can do it , LOL ! It doesn't seem as easy as before (to me at least) .

19. This car looks so darn cool,I still want a shoebox coupe and seeing your car just makes me want one more. HRP

[​IMG]

vwdave30 likes this.
  20. yekoms

yekoms

Hey Allen, How are you doin'? Do you still want me to do your king pins? Yep, I'm back to the HAMB and workin' on the coupe...I filled the C notches part way and put in snubbers today. We have the oldest son's wedding next weekend and the kayak is put away until Black Friday.

21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks, dude - I'll trade you for that red 32 sedan ya just got , lol. I'm enjoying driving something old again, it's been 5 years since I had an old ride. Getting lots of thumbs-ups , cellphone shots and looks from people ... Even in primer. Kinda cool.

Hey Smokey - glad to see ya back in action , and working on your ride. Yes, I still want you to machine the kingpins. I've been busy as hell lately helping Jerry (homemadehardtop57) get his roadster ready for the race of gentelmen and doing stuff around the castle. I'll try to get my spares apart and ready, then I'll give you a ring an get em over to ya. At least I can still drive the car while we're getting them done. Next step after that is a rebuilt steering box , then all of the front end is new and steering like a 66 year old car , ha-ha !
    Got a run planned on black Friday ? Something you do every year while the warden goes shopping ? Sounds like fun.

22. It's strange,when I was a kid my best friends older brother had just got his license and he scored a 1950 Coupe and I was really taken with that car.

I have always wanted one but there was always something I wanted more,so I have had the desire for more than 50 years,I need to make a new years resolution for 2016 and add one to my fleet.

You have done a good job and I hope you and your family have a great time with that car for years to come. HRP

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks , HRP . Hopefully the car will serve us well . I was looking to build a full-fendered flattie-powered "A" sedan when I came across this coupe , and decided to give it a shot . It's been fun so far .
    I hope ya get a shoebox someday . If I decide to sell , I'll let ya know .

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Not much new to report on the Penny Pincher - still no radio in it (just enjoying the exhaust note till I decide what to do) , still haven't installed the side chrome (lazy) , still haven't frenched the headlights (winter project) , and on and on ... just driving it and enjoying it . I figured I toss up a few pics since I've just been tossin' off on the project a bit ;)

Here's a couple black & white shots I thought looked cool :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot of the tail :

[​IMG]

My favorite passenger , enjoying the ride as usual . She loves the old car .

[​IMG]

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Well I guess I built a pretty good cooling system - I had to throw a piece of cardboard in front of the rad for these cool Pennsylvania mornings. It was in the mid to upper 40's this morning, and the needle on the temp gauge was sitting on the low peg (140, iirc). After the cardboard was in there it sat right at 170 , which is good for me ! I'd rather have to toss some cardboard on front of the rad on a cold day than to struggle with overheating on a hot day. This thing worked great this summer. I'm happy. The heater in the old Shoe works pretty well, even with no insulation or carpet yet. Can't complain. Gotta get some more driving in before they spray salt everywhere. Then it's time to winterize the Penny Pincher , I'm not fixing rust again, LOL !

daddio211 likes this.
  26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks nice and looks like your daughter likes it too!

27. road zombi

road zombi

Hello Mr. Palumbo! I´ve read the full story...great work and i be amazed from your tail lights
    Greetings Winki

28. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looking good there Buddy..!!

29. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks guys !
    My daughter loves the Shoebox, and will ALWAYS choose to ride in it over out modern stuff , if she has the choice. There's hope for her yet ;) . She used to love riding in our old hotrod Amazon as a baby . Maybe her love of this car comes from that.

Road Zombie- The tail lights were one of the first mods I did. I had a set of tunneling buckets, but decided to go old school instead. I'm pretty happy with the result. I still have to french the headlights. Must decide whether I'm going to use the stock trim rings and put the buckets behind the fender lip or use the Mid-50's Ford rims and inserts I have. Decisions, decisions ...