Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 2 tone question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by gallogiro, Sep 28, 2015.

1. gallogiro

gallogiro

I'm getting ready to paint my car this week, at the moment going to block out the primer and prep for the sealer and base/clear. some things I'm not sure how I go about spraying 2 colors. this is what I need done, its a 59 impala. blue body standard 2 stage, white stripe with flakes. white stripe will be white basecoat and white metal flake with intercoat and sealed with clear. luckily I'm not worried about getting the paint division line perfectly straight since where it splits is covered by almost an inch wide molding

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what it will look like finished

[​IMG]

will be this blue

and this white

my question. how do I go about it. do I spray the blue first then the white or the white stripe first then the blue?

I'm not sure because painting flake is a process, white base then intercoat with flakes and topped with clear. starts with surfacer sprayed, wait 30 min to an hour, then base, wait 30 min to an hour then flaked intercoat, wait 30 min to an hour then top with 4 layers of clear.

I'm unsure because I want to spray the blue the same day. do I do the white first then tape off then the body or do I spray the body blue then do the stripe. if I do the blue first ill need about an hour and a half before I can spray the clear to seal the blue along with the white because of the process to do the white. but I am spraying blue metallic, if I tape off the blue to do the white will it interfere with the metallic flakes either pulling some off or laying them flat and changing the effect leaving a permanent line?

or if I spray the blue first and clear it while having the stripe area taped off, will I be able to spray the white stripe after and have the two paints and clears bond with no problems, it wont peel later because they were painted at different times?

I'm either worried about taping off the blue before I clear and upsetting the metallic flake, or spraying the white and it not bonding and peeling because it was sprayed different times

thanks in advance for any help/replies

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Myself, I'd shoot all the blue, wait a day or 2, tape out the white, shoot it, then un tape the whole thing and clear it all one more time.
    Could do it a number of ways, thats just my take.

hipster likes this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

I would do the white except for the final clear. Paint the blue, then clear everything at one time. Makes the clear seamless over the two colors.

4. Torchie

Torchie

X's 2 ^^^^^^^
    Torchie

5. oldolds

oldolds

Your chrome covers all the tape lines. So no need to worry about a smooth edge there. I would mask off all the things need to be masked off for the blue paint. Then cover the rest of the car and paint the white, do the complete paint on the area complete to top coat. As you said that will prob take the whole morning up. Then mask that off and paint the rest of the car. It will be the easiest masking doing it that way. I would overlap the blue over the white about 1/8th of an inch to be sure to seal the edges. Your chrome covers it so a bump of paint will not matter.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is easier to paint the white first, let dry, mask off and paint the blue. Less masking. Also less danger of damaging the blue while leaning over it to paint the white roof and deck.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  7. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Definitely Spray the white first and the inner coat with flake on top, don't mask it off just Spray the area you know it's going to be.

Then after lunch come back tape your outside edges where the blue and white meet with fine line tape to achieve a nice crisp line. Then Spray the blue. Let it flash off, untape the white, then clear the entire body.
    Don't let base coat sit if you don't have to the longer it sits the better chance you have of possible contamination on the car.

8. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks guys, starting in just a moment with the spraying. going to spray white first then blue, you guys have a point about the masking.

only issue, and I hope I get it ok, is spraying under the wings. how do I pull that off correctly? I realized I striped the hell out of it when I sprayed the primer but I didn't care because its primer. but the gun shoots a cigar shape pattern that is good on flat and slight curves, but if I try to shoot that into the cove the top of wing and bottom of concave curve that is the quarter panel will get a healthy spray while the part farthest inside the wing will be starved. get what I saying? picture using a 6 inch ruler and trying to get the distance from its edge to the metal even all at once, no matter what angle you try its not happening =/ like trying to lay it flat in there, and parts that touch the metal on the top and bottom will get good spray, inside wont

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I would do the white first.

10. the violator

the violator

I would do the white and intercoat/flake first but tape up the whole car except that area. You don't want random flakes on the car where you will be painting the blue. The flakes will show up later after everything shrinks and look like fine orange peal under the blue. I would clear over the white and flaked area with whatever clear your using on the whole car, let it dry a day then knock down the lumpy clear with 600 grit(without sanding into the flakes). Let it dry another day and back tape the white/flaked area then do the blue and clear the whole car.

11. the violator

the violator

Never tape directly on metallics, pearls or flakes themselves the tape will pull them up.

12. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Your air cap has a clog somewhere. Take the air cap off and run a small wire through all the holes.