Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone ever build a Morris Minor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 1, 2015.

1. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Can always cure the lack of power, sadly not the look.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

dude...you're the size of a sasquatch...you'd hafta sit in the backseat

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ROFL!:p:p

HOTRODPRIMER, volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  4. Neanderthal maybe,Sasquatch is pushing it. :D

Remember,I did fit in a Deuce pickup,it was tight but I fit. HRP

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think at that age, the impressions things make on you are so powerful. I see the same thing with my daughter, shes six now, but she will mention things that happened when she was three that I was so sure she had forgotten about, and her recollection is clear as a bell.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The Datsun 1200 engine is a generic copy of the original Morrie Thou engine .
    Get the Big version from a C20 Nissan Vanette [they are 1400cc]

Those things can rev to the moon if you lack mechanical sympathy

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. 00v0v_fxX5fzwjxoW_600x450.jpg Here a 500 hundred dollar truck on Buffalo NY Craigslist

HOTRODPRIMER and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Bad link. HRP

9. Worth a looky-see.... Beach Street Revival in Santa Cruz,CA. 1989. Saw it up front and personal....... Just had to search for it.but pics are there...... Wild for the time....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

First off cool choise, cute car!

Second off; this is a small, cheap and popular car, then and now.
    This car had the world's first anti block brakes, the brakes are bad! Upgrade!!

Then little a series are easy to service and reliable, but compared to a v8-60 they are small and low on power, but there is a major shitload of parts to be had!
    But since we can't cut much in then and pass MOT, so we push the envelope all out for power upgrade. So my help might be limired to our ways of build.

That engine compartment is small, so I would recommend a MGB 1.8 4 banger or a Rover 215 or 3500.
    They are smallish, powerful for size and can be build to be fast and tough as nails.

Steering is good, handling is fair. Can be rusted, but can be undercoated from its own oil leaks.
    I'd a brit car dosent leak oil, it's empty.

But the mgb with a bump in compression, hot street cam (dare I say 3/4 racecam) with better intake. Two SU are fair, but 2 2bbl Weber or dellortos will do great. A T5 or an MGB 4+OD would do fine too, and some better gears.

When looking at one, look at the steering wheel and seat backs. There should be some cracks from braking.
    The stock mills are 0.9 liter, or 1.0. That's small then some Harleys :eek:

Even the starter motor in a leopard combat tank is bigger, it's an 1.1 liter BLMC 4 banger.

11. I'm working from my phone, funny it won't copy and paste, tried twice.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. I remembered my old school mate had one, that he had me paint 'Mildred' on the trunk.
    I drove it at top speed (45mph), towards raised railroad tracks one day, with him following behind on a motorcycle. When I hit the raised tracks, that ol Morris had all four wheels off the deck.
    The owner sure got pissed about that!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. cavman

cavman

I built a Morris sedan delivery about 20 years ago. Hot Buick even fire 231/350 combo. Chevy Monza rear, with strut frt end. If you have any height at all you'll have to move the seat back. The guy I built it for was 6'7" tall and I moved the seat back a foot into the cargo area. You couldn't even see him sitting in it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There was a BITCHEN PU in PHR in the mid seventies, metallic green with a Cleveland, mid 11 second street car, which was fairly quick in those days.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Big Jon

Big Jon

there was one that raced in new zealand in the 60s i think it had ferarri running gear

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Big Jon

Big Jon

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I seem to recall something like that.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Knew I'd saved that somewhere...
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Garth Souness's Morrari was a built on an outdated Ferrari 555 Super Squalo F1 chassis.
    It was powered by a Chevy V8

Check out the Borrani wires on it ^^^^

falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. Big Jon

Big Jon

it still has a number plate in that photo, was it road driven?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. From the rules:
    4. We cover traditional '65 and older American cars only. All other threads will be deleted.

But hey, I'm not in charge, I was just having a dig.;)

22. I was looking into a Morris Traveler for the girlfriend (wagon version), I found a few with fiat, toyota, sprite motors. I have a few german 2.0 pintos that I was going to use, but body parts are hard to come by if anything happens....personally I like the Hilmans better.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There are exceptions to this!

Volvo' and VW are normally in bad standing. But the brit made cars with a V8 built in a Altered, Gasser style or the likes there of, usualy passes scrutteny, but wait and see how it plays out, before you deam it out!!

Fiat Topolini, Ford Anglia/prefect/popular, and a few holdens and Utes, wille passe the bar, and this migth do too. only time will tell.

Spoggie and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. midroad

midroad

You will be surprised what you can fit in the engine bay. It was designed for a flat four but was built with Morris 4 cyl engines.
    We used to put MG 4 cyl or Holden 6 cyl in them but I knew a guy who fitted a V8 60 from a Simca Vedette.
    I found one 20 years ago that had a 327 and powerglide fitted in the '60's and was still road registered. That was a frightening toy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Mudgy

Mudgy

I spotted this one at a show last year.
    I only have 3 x photos. It's quite a bit different

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER and volvobrynk like this.
  26. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

With your interpretation, an Anglia or Bantam Gasser would be off topic here [ along with European 32 Fords ]
    There is a lot of threads here about James Dean [who was driving a Porsche] Maybe you should get these banned. Then you can start on the cyclecar thread with over 7000 replies,

Don't be such a pedantic nitpicker trying to sabotage this fun thread

Spoggie, jerseyboy, Ned Ludd and 4 others like this.
  27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Does a flattie make it traditional :D SV Morris 1.jpg SV Morris 2.jpg

28. Don't be to hard on him,the rules are guide lines,I understand that and remember when they were cut and dry pre 64,they underwent a slight change when guys were building 1965 Buick Riviera's,even the Boss has one.

There is a exception to the rules every now & then and some are given a pass.

There have been many English cars posted over the years and a few other exceptions such as the 1948 Thames panel thread,they have been interesting reads. HRP

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  29. volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Makes me want to sing that song........."She's real fine, my Morris Mine".:D

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.