Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Help me paint my Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hans mercman, Sep 29, 2015.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's awesome, your car looks great. The problem is depending on how old that paint that's on there is, by the time you scuff and sand what's on there, you may be putting a repaint over a repaint over a repaint. You may be dissatisfied with the lasting quality of your freshening if you don't fix bubbles and rot properly or if the new paint shrinks up over the old. I totally get wanting to keep it on the cheap, but just be careful as to how badly you cut corners

2. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

tangerinecandmerc.jpg res is kinda bad, but pretty cool candypaint job.

low budget likes this.
  3. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Merc montclair original colors.jpg merc original colors.jpg
    Found these which are awesome. Kinda like that montclair blue or a close variation.

4. Here's a couple to ponder.....

blue.jpg blue gray.jpg

5. Just for the heck of it..A couple more...

copper.jpg green.jpg

6. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Awesome work thanksm moose! can you do a Two tone black and yellow, like the one on page 1 (though that one is sort of a black and gold and heavily stylized so i cant really see whats going on with it..

7. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

So whats the best way to avoid shrinkage (other than a cold pool.) Do i have to get it down to bare metal?

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think that's the best way, if not the only way.

Look, it depends on how far you want to go with this. If you're going to totally change the color of the car, then at minimum you're looking at removing all of your interior, dashboard, steering wheel, etc., so the car can be jambed out. No matter what all of the trim needs be be removed for a proper blocking prior to any finished paint... you're certainly not going to paint over rust or rot, so any spot that has rust will need to be brought down to bare steel and sealed/primed, rot will need to be cut out and replaced/body worked. It's hard to half-ass a decent paint job, but if you do it right, it will only hurt once.

edit: and while you're at it. I just KNOW you want to get rid of those pesky hood ornaments, door handles, fender emblems, etc...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  9. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

10. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

NO! I love all that, except the M on the front definitely came off a 56 so ditching that. and now you have me thinking about shaving handles. and someone mentioned lancer caps...i just came here for paint ideas and now ive got all these dark ideas swarming around in my head

11. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

the headlight cans have always bothered me to, want to get rid of those seams!

12. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not crazy about the caps but if the wheels were the more detailed original style chrome reverse I would say pop the caps off and this one would be just about perfect, That is beautiful, I love that Hugger/Chevy lookin orange!.......and that white interior with only the reveal white........ perfect!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  14. by.jpg

King ford and low budget like this.
  15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

and while you're at it. I just KNOW you want to get rid of those pesky hood ornaments, door handles, fender emblems, etc

You tell'em, Joe! Stuff like that ruins a good car design!
    In the end, paint color all comes down to personal preference. YOU have to like it, no one else! Don't depend on other's opinions to get the car of your dreams! A car built by committee will end up looking like a "Qube"

16. OK...No more "M" shaved handles and lancer caps

no emblem.jpg

hans mercman likes this.
  17. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

I love this moose! thats pretty much perfect. Now to convince my wife ive been showing her all the 'shops and she keeps saying yeah thats nice, but RED!

18. Gotta keep the wife happy:)...Here's one in all red candy...

red2.jpg

hans mercman likes this.
  19. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

That black and yellow rules.

hans mercman likes this.
  20. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

really liking the bumble bee, man. but the red looks great too. painting question if im going from a slightly darker red to a red red, do you guys think i need to get it to bare metal? thinking about time/cost here. money is a factor. im willing to do the sanding and trim stripping myself if the bodyshop will shave off a good amount of $$. Get it to where they just have to tape prime and paint.

looking to do nice driver quality, not show car. 95% of rust is taken care of and body is straight, a little wave in the side panels but ive seen similar cars repainted and they certainly look good enough to me.

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, restomod style should be factory colors, mild custom or wild custom, anything goes. I like Black cars, have 3 now, Most importantly, paint it what YOU like, Your car, Your dime, Your happiness is what matters.

22. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

does shaved handles and losing an emblem count as a mild custom :) oh and th lancers!

23. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

also @
    wicarnut

i think thats why i like the black and yellow so much. Looks pretty close to factory colors, but improved.

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not that Im reccomending it but heres a goldish/yellow and red compromise I ran across.[​IMG]

You wont need to go to metal just because of the color, bad cracked paint or other reasons may cause you to "want" to but your car doesnt look that bad in the pics.
    Dont forget the door jambs and under hood and trunk will also need to be painted if you are doing a complete color change, they may need it anyway but........just sayin.

25. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Truley appreciate all the help fellas. i think ive got it narrowed down to black and yellow, or like the picture below.
    lancers, shaved handles, lose a couple emblems, maybe some functional peep mirrors and im in ship shape. oh and some wide whites once the current wheels wear out.

Anyone know got a link to some good peeps for this car?
    big_thumb_c1c6f16d2ad35082fb37718073b6d808.jpg

26. I couldn't help but do one more
    red3.jpg

27. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

fantastic. Wide whites look good. Not sure on the mirrors though. definitely want to drop the rectangle and go circle, but the placement doesnt look right.

28. Do you want them further back?????

29. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

further back, or peeps above the window maybe