Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quain Stott Willys build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Aug 27, 2012.

1. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Hey Quain, I saw a recent pic of your Willys with two-fours on a tunnel ram, how does it run with that setup compared to injection? Kevin

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I changed to a 331 engine and was just trying the 2 fours to see how they will do. The injectors will be back on it next year I hope.
    I'm loving the 331 I leave the line at 10,000 and shift at 9,500 here's a video turn up the sound.

3. Quain,
    S. E. G. website still says there will be an October gasser race, that so?

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

No our only race left is Greer November 7th. We had one booked October 3rd but the track didn't get finished so we had to cancel it. We removed it from our site. the Greer is our biggest race of the year should be a good one..

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am planning on coming. Can I set up a booth again?

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I love that video! I'm guessing you're running 4 bolt mains in the 331? I'd heard a long time ago that 2 bolts' were good to 8 grand but them Chebbie motors seem to be full of surprises.

7. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Hi Quain, I was wondering, how much hp is your 331 putting out? And how much does your car weigh with you in it? My avatar Falcon has a 331 also...it dyno'd at 431 hp @ 6400 rpm, and it weighs 2850 with me in it, but my best time so far is 12.37 @108. It seems like it should be faster, so I'm trying to figure out what i'm missing...

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Enloe I called the track and they said $50 and that gets 2 people through the gate. It's regular $10 admission so I guess you can figure it's $30 to set up a spot. I'll buy that much from you LOL.

9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Ledsled I have never had mine on a dyno, but I would guess around 600 HP at about 9,500 RPMs. I have got my car down to 2230 lbs with me in it, but still heavy for our A/G which is 6 lbs per cubic inch. 6 lbs X 331 cubic inch = only 1986 lbs. I'm working hard trying to get the other 250 lbs off but it's getting expensive. We are starting a C/G class next year that would be real close for your car it's going to be 8 lbs per cubic inch. We are testing the C/G class November 7th at our finals in Greer SC. .

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Quain it sounds like this has been a busy year for you.

Jimbo

11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yea it been bad, Trying to run the South East Gasser deal takes about 3 or 4 hours a day and it ain't making any money, but it sure is fun.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Quain, when you were staging in the posted video who were you watching? The guy behind you or the Girl in front? LOL..

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I can't see anything behind me when I'm strapped in tight, that's why I put Cynthia in front so I will have something nice to look at. The guy in the back is watching the grove and relaying to her which way to go. Cynthia has been my back up girl for over 25 years and does a good job even when no one is behind the car. She has been a keeper. Off topic pics are OK as long as there is a girl LOL.
    Cynthia 3 jpg.jpg cynthia5.jpg Quain & Cynthia.jpg

Kevs56, loudbang, 9sectruck and 3 others like this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

15. catdad49

catdad49

Hey Quain, ever miss the Pro- Mod wars?

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I miss the money but don't miss driving the car it was a joke the last several years. The air shifters and all the electronics just made them just like modern top fuel. It took no talent unless it got in trouble and that was not very often. notice the pic in the post above I put rider above my name. My Gasser is over 2 seconds slower but with the old school suspension and 4 speed it is harder to drive.

17. Hats off to you Quain for putting this group together! It gives me great respect for the guys that did this back in '65. Its a duel of man and machine and neither one is all that predictable without a lot of attention to detail.

9sectruck likes this.
  18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's what it's like in a real race car, hope y'all enjoy. Turn up the volume and listen to that 331 scream. 9,500 RPM shifts.

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Tony, i'm just trying to put some talent back in the sport and the only way is to go back in time when it took a real driver to man handle one of these thing down the track. You know as well as anyone what a learning curve it is. I could have put you in my pro mod with all the electronics and within 10 passes you would have been as good as anyone out there. Then you just add money and hire a good tuner and instant fame just like the NHRA. It's people like you that make the SEG what it is to me and the fans. thanks again.

20. CGkidd

CGkidd

That sounds Badass

21. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Love the car and love what you do for the sport QS. Question of the day today: Love the American Flag Helmet. Did you buy it like that or have one painted?

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I bought it already painted but it's not a good helmet. i need to have a good one painted.

23. loudbang

loudbang

OahuEli, 9sectruck and Dog_Patch like this.
  24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

loudbang likes this.
  26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Believe it or not adding weight to the front of the car helped this problem. The Anglia is so short and our rules require a short wheelie bar. The wheelie bar was hitting the ground so hard it was unloading the rear tires. The weight to the nose of the car helped balance the car and hit the wheelie bar easier. this winter Donovan is going to move his engine a few inches forward then the weight can come off.
    Raising the front of the ladder bar up in the front would also help but could create other problems.

Bad Banana, Russman69 and loudbang like this.
  27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Quain, thanks for the info. I was so busy watching the suspension action I didn't even notice the tires, but after watching again it really shows the tires unload, especially after he dumps the clutch and winds it up. Good info!

Quain Stott, Russman69 and loudbang like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

29. Good save! Beautiful car and backup girl.

30. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks for posting, that car was a lot of fun. Also good memories of Cynthia (rip) lining me up.