Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1950's period correct hot rods.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldebob, Dec 27, 2009.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

See post 695. End of story. And yes, I read the story on the Flint resto...and the Bakan car...and the La Mesa car...:rolleyes:

Oh, and thanks for the compliment, I just added it to my signature line. Frank, Dave and you know who you are, maybe we should start a social group?? the 1%ers? Kinda like that...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Dave50, Old-Soul and Speedy Canuck like this.
  2. Dave50

Dave50

If you don't like PERIOD CORRECT HOT RODS or understand what one is and what people are posting on a thread, don't respond w foolishness idiots like to muck up threads w NON confirming cars. It's sickening if your not into them make thread or go to one that confirms to your car or liking. It's not hard. If I was a mod I w delete a bunch of shit on here and just maybe u w get it if not I w ban your dumbass. Some of us love period traditional Hot Rods and come here for that some come for customs,some for pre 40 cars and bikes so they go to TROG threads and builds. Ik some of u post off topic stuff on purpose your grown men grow the hell up. Some post for the sake of posting it's absurd. Post your off topic,fiberglass, crap somewhere else.

Speedy Canuck and falcongeorge like this.
  3. Dave50

Dave50

I didn't know that once again can't come and enjoy a thread time to take a break and come back when I need a fix

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You start to notice a pattern with these guys, theres a few of them that really get bent out of shape about this stuff, its not enough that they dont want any part of it, they get their shit in a knot if anyone else talks about it too.
    Clearly, its not "ok with them" or they would stf, and stay off threads that have "period correct" in the title.

Dave50 likes this.
  5. Personally, I would take my lead from the good stuff and good workmanship. There have always been people who have aimed for the best possible workmanship and that's what I try to do

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. F&J

F&J

Post some more oldies... I need a fix

Sketchy or not is fine with me

7. 2racer

2racer

8. F&J

F&J

What a great early photograph...

Is that a shifter showing in there; and I wonder if it's column or floor shift

Dave50 likes this.
  9. 2racer

2racer

10. F&J

F&J

^ thanks for the link...I forgot that thread.....here is another pic of it from there:
    [​IMG]

11. F&J

F&J

...and they posted a pic from now, supposed to be same owner..
    [​IMG]

12. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I'm sorry guys - I'll go to the penalty box and cry for a while.

13. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

That pic is great! That guy looks so proud of his car. Even better if the color picture is the same car and guy

Dave50 and F&J like this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I already posted this on Chips full fendered T thread, but man, I LOVE this truck!!! I don't know if the welding was done with 6013 or old coathangers, but its a great looking car...;):D
    IMG_20150920_0007.jpg
    I never noticed before, but he has some kind of flat cap over the emblem in the center of the Lancers. Nice touch. I'll go out on a limb here and guess it wasn't welded together with old coathangers.

EVL401, brad2v, Dave50 and 1 other person like this.
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Being in my mid 70s,and was building hotrods an customs in the 50s n early 60s,my look on all this is that there is a lot of miss read n missunderstud stuff by the younger guys,some get real close to right,but right is a bit defernt depenning on were we're talking about{I'm talking Florida. I had two cars that I did for my self and helped out on many others,being in 3 car clubs plus doing many car shows back then. Workmanship was made better by the frenids an club members shairing skills an ideas. Here are a few of the most common things that seem wrong I see a lot now; In the 50/60s Primer was only thought of as temperairy only,the guys then were always going to get the cool shiny on to it,an did mostly,but a few never got too it{ flat primer was not a finish or even thought of as cool,just a step alomg the way to getting cool ]. Moon tanks were for drag cars at the strip,not as a fake added thing on the street. Headlights we used were 7in. sealbeams an the nicist aero bucket we could find,we did not use older big design things we see guys putting on now. There a few doz. other things,but you get the idea.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Steffen Jobst, brad2v, F&J and 3 others like this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

and for the guys who think gas shielded welding was invented in the 1990's...When you read the phrase "heliarc welded" in an old magazine, this is what they are talking about, and its been around as long as hot rodding...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_tungsten_arc_welding

what has really changed is that nowadays, every backyard building has a tig welder in his garage, back then, only the higher end race shops would have it. And a lot of the old timers had gas welding skills most guys nowadays can only dream of. To a degree, we have come to depend on the equipment to make it easier for us.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Steffen Jobst, brad2v and dana barlow like this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Phils tryin' to mess with us a bit...;):D

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Local car, Jim McGowan's Apache. Still around, and not changed a huge amount.
    IMG_20150922_0002.jpg
    now
    IMG_20150926_0001.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  19. bct

bct

Hey george lets see a picture of your car.

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Are we bickering yet? It's so hard for me to tell sometimes.:rolleyes:
    50s and early 60s is my favorite era. So many of the early old rods still around, some being"up dated" and new ones being built a little differently. Then the specially built "show cars" came along, the original trailer queens. Phone booths on wheels, bath tubs with big blocks. converted horse drawn hearses, and fiber glass kinetic sculptures. Some were expertly built but if that is period correct you can have it.o_O
    Basically back then, I seem to remember seeing about the same percentage of treasure and crap that I do now, about the same percentage of guys who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and guys who know it all, and the same amount of those who profess variety and creativity as long as doesn't look different. :eek:

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Lets get it back on track...I agree, as far as HAMB type hot rods go, '55-about '63 is the era that really grabs me.
    IMG_20150926_0003.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  22. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Unknown.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg this is my 32 built in 1953

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    dana barlow, falcongeorge and brad2v like this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This car was also in Rod & Custom with a different owner and no door lettering. You have to wonder if this thing is still hidden away somewhere in the PNW.
    IMG_20150927_0003.jpg

Hotdoggin DaddyO, brad2v and AHotRod like this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

27. AndersF

AndersF

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've never seen this car before. I'd like to see more, does anyone know if it was ever a feature car in any magazines?
    hawai_zpsaf870c20.jpg

AHotRod and dana barlow like this.
  29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER