Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Ford F100 front axle drop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Tim Harris, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Tim Harris

Tim Harris

I've got a 1954 Ford F100 and I am thinking about buying a 3" drop axle. I was thinking that I could possibly even put the axle over the leaf springs for an extra inch or two drop. My question is whether or not that is even safe for the front end considering the extra weight from the motor; I have seen it done on the rear end plenty of times. Could some hot rod guru help a young blood out here?

2. Voh

Voh

There is an alliance vender that will drop them for you or swap them out. I would look at the reversed eye and go off that for what you can do. I had a '64 f-100 that I used mono-leafs on. It was WAY too low (spring / frame / pan). Always had issues.

3. Tim Harris

Tim Harris

See, I've read quite a few bad reviews on the mono-leafs here on this sight. Really I'm just trying to stay on a budget and get a cool drop on my truck. I've looked at the reverse eye and they might be a little over budget. But what are your thoughts on setting the axle on top of the spring in the front as to setting the spring on the axle. Is it unsafe or would I be alright with doing that?

4. moving the axle to the top of the spring can be as safe as under if you di it correctly. It involves more then just moving the axle and bolting it back in which I am sure that you are aware but it is not unsafe because it is on top of the spring.

On your Effie it will most likely involve notching the frame aside from the welding and locating of the axle itself.

5. Tim Harris

Tim Harris

o.k. thank you for the help. i think that will help out alot with the drop that i am looking for

6. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Yes you can flip the axle on top of the spring with a drop axle. I've done it but you will have to heat and bend the steering arm. I did a 53 f 100 with a 4in drop axle flipped with reversed eye springs. It was really low but still drivable and safe depending on the front tire size, And no you do not need to notch the front frame. Note you will also need tie rod drop blocks and you need to grind the bottom of the axle flat where the leaf springs go and need to make a 1/4 plate with 4 holes drilled to match the one attached to your axle.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  7. willymakeit

willymakeit

A 57-58 axle will give you about an 1 1/2'' drop. If you are using drum brakes use the 57 backing plates also. Combine this with reversed eyes for more drop .I used the down and forward springs also. The later axles may work to. Measure the spring pad to centerline of spindle. Also check your spring width for ubolts and shims to go low buck.
    Good luck.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have a '57 axle on my '55 F100. My wife reversed the eyes on my front springs by turning the leaf upside down, and de-arching it on my press. (she also de-arched the rest of the leaves, and drilled the main leaves 1.25" forward, centering the wheels in the fenders)
    Meanwhile, I milled .125" off the inboard sides of the axle bores for the 'U' bolts. ('57-'58s have 2" wide leaves, '42-'56s are 1.75")
    Don't get your hopes up for 1.5" drop with that axle. I set up a measuring jig on by build table, and all you get is 15/16" drop. (actually 29/32", but who's mic'ing?)
    (Just set both axles on a flat surface, upside down: Now, measure the difference between the upside down spring pads and the ground. Just so you know.)

When we installed it, wife Joey's springs let it down loooow...back is higher, to the tune that it removed most of the caster. I have some 4 degree tapered shims, just have to slip 'em in there...
    If you do this, (spring center bolts ahead) you'll have to lengthen your drag link.
    I made an adjustable one, with ultra fine threads and sleeve.

I have Tiger Paws on it now, 205/60X15 front, 255/70X15 on rear. Tires fill the wells like a picture.
    Wish I could post one here...

9. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I also had my reversed eye main leaf springs drilled 1.25 forward to center the wheel. Thanks guys! I forgot to add that

10. Tikisteve

Tikisteve

I have reverse mono leafs for my 57 f100 rear I'm picking up a dropped axle for front would removing a couple leafs from front drop it another inch or so or should I do monos in front also any help is appreciated I am a FNB sorry

11. schuyler

schuyler
    from Tennessee

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443155664.732079.jpg

3" drop axle (Nostalgia Sid) and "down and forward" reverse eye springs from mid fifty.

Not sure what stance you're going for, but a drop axle and removing some leaves or reverse eyes gets a pretty decent look. I also recommend moving the axle forward...you won't regret it!

flyin-t likes this.
  12. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one I did a few years back, 3"dropped axle mounted on top of the spring & mono leaf but I had to mount the steering box about 4 "higher on the frame, Digital 190.jpg drove nice.

Atwater Mike and schuyler like this.
  13. Tikisteve

Tikisteve

Schuyler how do you move axle forward ?

14. Good info here. I'll be dropping a 54 soon myself.

Is there any issue with the old unused holes (like weakness) in the stock front springs when you redrill and move the axle forward?

How about adding rear drop tricks to this thread as well?

15. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I never understood why Ford had such a big problem with wheels being centered in the fenders..

16. schuyler

schuyler
    from Tennessee

I bought new springs with the pin already moved forward. But you can remove the springs, disassemble the spring pack (be careful) and re drill the hole forward about 1.25" on each spring. Then re assemble it. The axle rides on the bottom of the spring pack and is positioned by the pin that runs through the holes you just drilled. Supposedly this does not hurt the integrity of the springs and is widely promoted on the ford truck enthusiast ('48-56) forum.

17. schuyler

schuyler
    from Tennessee

It seriously drives me nuts. They say it was for a better turning radius...but that's crazy even if it's true!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  18. Tikisteve

Tikisteve

Schuyler thank you for the info sounds like it's going to be fun lol when I do I will have to post pics

19. Hell on Wheels

Hell on Wheels
    from So Cal

20. I know this is an old thread, but what did you do to lower the rear?