Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HELP: lowered problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctorterry, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

So I'm sure I'm not alone on this problem, but in my lowered '62 biscayne when I hot rod it, or when I have a carload of passengers, my drive shaft or rear end or something clunks hard against my floor.. What can I do to solve this? It has coils all around.

2. Simple, un-lower it or stiffer springs, or cut and rebuild the floor for clearance

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Bump stops so it can't bottom out on the drive shaft. Stiffer springs, maybe progressive so they don't ride too harsh when empty.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If Female, pics are needed for best advise ;)

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Please no! Not if they are bottoming out the suspension.

These things cannot be unseen!

6. slammed

slammed

Monroe overload/coil over shocks will help. Did you cut 2 wraps or use 4" coils back there? An air shock can work, but is a stiffer ride when inflated beyond 75%. PIX!

7. I'm not super familiar with those cars but keep in mind some shock mounts can't handle carrying weight, such as using air shock or the shocks with the helper springs.

8. aaggie

aaggie

When you build/change/design suspension systems you need to have the car frame sitting on jack stands and without springs or shocks installed , run the front and rear through it's full travel to see where it hits. Now you know where to notch frames or make mounts. Your Chevy is an "X" frame with the driveshaft running through the center cross member so it is more difficult to work with. Solid bump stops between the rear axle and frame along with stiff springs or air ride will be your best bet.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 64 Biscayne has 2" drop spindles and short coils in the rear and rides really well. I think the stance is perfect. With a load of six and a trunk full of bags I also have a driveshaft problem. Being as this is the only time I have problems and rarely happens, I'm not about to change anything. I just won't load it down any more. Just an inherent problem when lowering X frames.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Now hold on, take a look at Slammed's avatar on post #6. The number of Females is equal to the amount of volume per unit.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  11. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I'm with Johnny Gee

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post some pics - so, how was the car lowered? how low in front/rear? have you been underneath to see where something is rubbing/hitting? condition of driveshaft support bearing? shocks are not the total answer to the problem with lowered rear coil springs - need more details

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two simple solutions might be a pair of overload air bags like they run on a lot of pickups that don't come into play until you load the vehicle to a certain point or a pair of overload coil springs that do the same thing. I'm not sure either will work with that suspension though. I had a pair of the springs on my 48 pickup when I was towing and used a pair on my 51 Merc when I was traveling or towing.
    The other alternative is to reshape the driveshaft tunnel where it is rubbing.

14. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Let me go snap some pictures... I can't really see any place that looks to have been hit. My dad claims that it is hitting at the rear end. He says when you goose it, the back of the car squats, and the rear end will rotate up/forward thus the two coming in contact

15. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443039092.550731.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443039103.323942.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443039131.085711.jpg
    It was worthless to upload these pictures, I'll have to get it off the ground and take some. We just cut coils to drop it ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443039197.103874.jpg

16. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

On my 63 the drive shaft would bump the the tunnel. I added air shocks, I only added air as needed when I was hauling something or a bunch of people. I hadn't cut anything off the springs it was lowered with the help of age....

17. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Haha!
    You're lucky Slammed's avatar on post #6 chimed in after my reply on post #5 ,to your comments on on post #4
    Incredible predicting skills [ a good save ]

Johnny Gee likes this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what did you use to cut springs? cutting rear coils different than cutting fronts - the way the coils are wound - looks like coil in pictures is titled, maybe not seated properly.

19. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Cut with a cut off wheel if I remember right

20. flyin54

flyin54
    from modesto ca

Probably driveshaft hitting rear of frame tunnel, need to raise rear or don't load as heavy, maybe trim frame at rear of tunnel a bit to give you some room.

21. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Do they make traction bars for coils? Wouldn't that solve the problem?

22. slammed

slammed

How many wraps of the coil were cut? And did you go w/a shorter (2" coil drop need's a 2"shorter shock that is Gas charged like a Monroe Sense-a-trac minimum.

23. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

They do! They're called links [as in triangulated 4 links]

hipster likes this.
  24. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

As a 59 owner I may know your problem and have a easier solution that will also save you other headaches. When I let the air out of my bags my stock rear driveshaft would rub on the very back of the floor so I never drove with bags all the way down. I was also having a problem with my carrier bearing blowing out every 2000 miles from the suspension travel. I bought a telescopic rear driveshaft from Dick's Drive Shaft in Arizona to save my carrier bearing, and when it arrived I realized it had a slightly smaller diameter than the stock rear driveshaft. After installing it I have driven over 20,000 miles with no carrier bearing problems and no more rubbing of the drive shaft on Full deflation. Since I am not out drag racing the smaller diameter rear shaft and telescopic section don't bother me. I can't promise this will help your problem but it worked for me!

Doctorterry likes this.
  25. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

what he said is dead on and you may need a adjustable panard bar to center your rear end check your upper control arm bushings

Doctorterry likes this.
  26. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Sweet... So is the only difference in the microscopic drive shaft that it is smaller in diameter?

27. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

28. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Awesome. So you just purchased the rear piece? And used the stock carrier bearing or bought the one they offer? Is this what you suggest?

29. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I used a stock cheapo from auto-zone. Yes I bought rear portion. Most x frame drivers that have adjustable suspension run the teacopic rear section.

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I was always on the path of enjoyment for all, not the other way around. :)