Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Ford cooling fan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Aug 2, 2015.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to see pictures of the mechanical cooling fan set up on a 24 (?) stud flathead V-8. I'm thinking it's a bracket deal below the generator, even thinking I have one laying around somewhere. I'd like to avoid and electric fan, in fact I nearly refuse to run one. Again pictures would be great and as always, thanks in advance.

2. 1pickup

1pickup

Depends on which 24 stud (year). If you are talking the '38 (& my '39 std), the fan was mounted to the front of the generator. "59" blocks had a fan that hung from the front of the intake. To keep the stock fan on mine w/ 3 carbs, the original generator was "sectioned." Middle was cut out, & front & rear bearings retained. Does that help?

3. Fellow Hamber bobscogin made this fan mount shoot him a PM I'm sure he can help. HRP

[​IMG]

Hotrodmyk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To clarify, it's for my new 39 which has a 59 AB in it, and there's currently an alternator installed. Even if it were switched to a generator the fan would be way too high, so I'm wondering how that was handled. With all my reference material there's very little in the way of pictures to show the part's relationship with the rest. Thanks for the lead HRP. I might have to check it out.

dana barlow likes this.

5. 1pickup

1pickup

Mine is a '39 Standard, with a "59" engine
    1 wire alternator mounted off the head w/ an old aftermarket gen. bracket & Speedway alt. mount. AND, it has a modified generator in stock position, with stock fan. Unless you have installed a shorter radiator, or raised your engine in the chassis, I'm not understanding why a stock 4 blade fan, in the original position, won't clear. I'll try to get some pics, but having trouble with my pc/pics, so no guarantees.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Been a long time since I took a wrench to a flathead, but I think as the radiator top came down in relation to the engine, the fan had to do down also. This resulted in the bracket mentioned by 1pickup above. It dropped the fan down quite a ways from the gen. mounted or the neat one shown by Danny, fabbed up to replace a gen mtd. fan.
    And come to think about it, that's also about the same time Ford went from the "Diving bell" distributor to the "Crab" dist. and this gave more room for the lower mounted fan.

7. 53 ford

53 ford

Did some 39 fords have a crankshaft mounted fan?

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

As 1pickup mentioned, a 39 std has the fan on the generator.
    A 39 Deluxe would have had the fan mounted to the end of the crank.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I have is a 59AB with an alternator installed. The fan would hit the hoses if it were adapted to the alt. It would hit the sheet metal below the rad if it were mounted on the crank.

10. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you run a double Sheave pulley you can use a mid 40s mount with a space and run it off the front of the intake upside down if that makes sense. A bit of mucking around but you will see once you have the parts.

Sorry, best photo I have now my car is sold.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438591338.310345.jpg

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"What I have is a 59AB with an alternator installed. The fan would hit the hoses if it were adapted to the alt. It would hit the sheet metal below the rad if it were mounted on the crank."
    I don't know exactly where it would line up with radiator on a '38 Deluxe (my assumption there) but sounds like you need some '42-48 bits. Stock, this would be a fairly long double sheave crank pulley driving a fan mounted quite a bit below generator center and well forward. With a multi carb manifold or just an alternator with non-Ford mount plate there are several strategies to mount the fan where Ford put it, using Ford bits, aftermarket bracket, or very simple constructions of plates witha few holes drilled.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like this is not an uncommon issue. Soon I'll have the radiator out and gain access to the front of the engine and I can better sort through it.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Picture stolen from online source that stole it from the overhaul manual...nice side view of central fan and how it relates to the crank mount that a '39 deluxe would use and the gen mount a '39 standard woud use. The basic setup can be adapted in various ways to any manifold with a generator mount, either stock style or Edelbrock style, even with generator moved over for multi carbs.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bruce, that makes sense to what I have. Seems I need a 2 groove crank pulley, or is that and adapter? Ideas...

15. flthd31

flthd31

Here's a couple of pics of my current coupe. It has the exact same setup that Bruce's diagram shows. It's all bone stock 46-48 car stuff. It cools so well that I prefer to recess the fire wall to use it in my model A builds.
    The crank pulley is stock 46-48 wide belt, wide spacing. That's a PowerGen alternator in place of the original generator but it's identical in size and mounting to original.

fan 59-AB_011a.JPG fan 59-AB_004a.JPG

Lil'Alb and Kiwi 4d like this.
  16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

17. flatjack

flatjack

Do you have a Deluxe or Std? If it is a Deluxe, you use the crank mounted fan and pulley.

18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice set up, what's the deal with the shroud ,made or off the shelf? Looks good. image.jpg

19. flthd31

flthd31

Thanks. The shroud is made from a '51 ford truck. They had 18" fans instead of the 16" car fan I used so it required a bit of butchering to work. Plus my radiator is chopped 2 inches. PA state law requires one with open hood sides so what the hell, why not? And it really helps suck air thru the radiator. It's made in two sides so it can be installed and removed without removing the fan or radiator. Here's a few pics:

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb, chevyfordman and The 39 guy like this.
  20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That's a beautiful color of gray!! Any more pics of the whole car?

21. flthd31

flthd31

Here's a couple quickies...don't want to hijack Highlander's thread...It's a old Porsche color, looks different in sun and shade as pics show

Attached Files:

hfh and The 39 guy like this.
  22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's worth a hijack! Nice coupe. I'm still in the dark on this. Picked up a fan that should work with a pulley on the alternator. Nope, too high, even though there's a clearance trough up in the tank. Too high by nearly 2". I'm considering a Powergen and forget the mokey biz of the GM alternator. Being a 39 Std I see many things that never mention suitability for such a bitchin car. Seems to be skipped over in most application lists. Shame really. I may be missing something simple and haven't given up yet, but then there's the task of sourcing gennie flatty stuff if I do the stand alone 12 alt and a separate fan mount. I'd need the hub assembly, lower 2 groove pulley, hub mount, etc. I can buy a new Powergen for $319.00 + the ride. I think some of my concerns are due to the mount seen here:

067.jpg

Full disclosure, I never had a flathead Ford but I'm pretty glad to have this one. If I'm over thinking too much or worrying about pricing/availability go ahead and give me a poke in the eye. I can take it. Not afraid of anything and just did full brakes on a J Duesy. 100% confident that those are right so this should be cake, right? Ok, since I mentioned it, wanna see a Duesy front wheel cyl? 005.jpg

Don't rub your eyes, yes it's the kingpin. Elegant simplicity, yes? 091.jpg

As a whole, simple links, big 3/8 brake lines, 1 big piston and those levers. Easily stops a 2 1/2 ton hot rod.

So you see, this flathead stuff should be easy, right? Would I be better suited to just Powergen and go for it. Would the $$$ be the same or close to gather stuff? Whatevwer happens it's going in the build thread, and I sincerely thank all of you for your input and replies, and another for the bitchin coupe. What a freakin baller car...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

How high on the manifold is the stud that mounts generator and fan stuff? There are multiple levels of that, and looks like you may have a high one. Some have the stuf mounted as low as is physically possible, with just enough metal below the stud to accomodate the hole.

24. 1pickup

1pickup

Got my PC working...& my mojo too... Anyway, as stated earlier, here is my solution. Stock generator with the center removed. So, it has both front & rear bearings. Stainless band around it for some bling. Generator bracket off the head with a Speedway alternator bracket on that & a 1 wire GM alternator. Maybe not traditional, but works great. I suppose you could replace the alternator with a power gen that looks traditional, but I'm cheap.

25. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

My 38 (same as a 39 std.) has the generator mounted stock location with a fan on the front. Just clears the radiator. I raised the radiator 1/4" and cut 1/4" off of the fan diameter. I built spacers to raise my 48's a couple inches.
    Picture doesn't show much but the bottom line is:
    • Stock generator (long style)
    • Stock fan mounted on generator
    • Raise radiator .250"
    • All clears without a bunch of BS
    • IMG_0787 6.jpg

26. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

That fuel block looks pretty Sweet. Old thread so I don't think I'am doing much high Jacking Like the fan setup.
    Fuel block who is the maker? Thanks George

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's in my build thread (where crickets are chirping at the moment) that I sorted out my fan gig. Here's some pics, I ended up with the proper stock fan thanks to my dear friend Roy Naciwicz. The pulley is an Offy part that fits perfect on the Powergen. I noticed also that the bottom of the tank seems a little "fat" for lack of a better term. If I gently press up I can gain even more space, but it's good right now. 044.jpg 045.jpg

This is the pulley I used and it fits the Powergen like it was made for it:
    [​IMG]
    Hope this helps...

28. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Thanks this for sure helps .. Thanks for the great Pics..

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Don't rub your eyes, yes it's the kingpin"!!!
    I just saw your post for the first time. I never knew that! In other words, it works exactly the way '32-34 Ford brakes are actuated mechanically! Brilliant design and a completely surprising different way!
    Next time I'm at the junkyard I'll look for a Duesy and see if that can be adapted to '32 brakes...
    Seriously, I wonder if any rodder ever thought of hydraulicking the actuator rod on an old ford? Seems like some Ford parts and a hydraulic clutch cylinder would get you pretty close...

30. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Here are a few pics of my fan set up on my 1951 239. Hope they help you out.

Attached Files: