Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need Help Identifying a 426 Hemi Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigDutchBag, Sep 21, 2015.

1. BigDutchBag

BigDutchBag
    from California

My motor is currently being rebuilt do to some major issues cause by the last person who built it for my grandfather before i inherited the car. During this time im trying to find out a little more about this motor and learn its history.

Serial number is MN426293851869

So far i have its Marysville Plant, 426 cu.in, August 13,1969.

Here is where im lost. # 51869 after the date code is that the serial number? Any what the 2 and F stampings above?

[​IMG]

2. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

whats on top pad show a pix

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

5-13-69 would be MAY 13, 1969; as far as any of the other numbers...........................................................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search online for (link does not seem to work): www.moparts.org/Tech/Archieve/motor/36.html - 1968 & later had the numbers stamped on the lower rail of the engine's right side match the last 8 digits of the car's VIN. MN= Marysville Plant

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

5. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

In the lower number.
    MN= Marysville plant
    426 = CID
    2938= date code based on 10,000 day Julian calendar. Aug 13, 1969
    51869 = serial number

6. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

The F should be for the 1970 model year. That aligns with the August 1969 date. 2 might be second shift, but I can't verify that. the May date ???? It doesn't quite make sense, especially since they used "1" for the dashes. That may be the handiwork of someone else.

7. kinda with John...but I just think that's a part #....for 1969....part #'s started with "29"....and the rest of the #'s are the same # for a part #....could it be a replacement block # ?

8. BigDutchBag

BigDutchBag
    from California

There was nothing that i could tell, but again i dont have the block right now and is being machined.

I have no clue. I was able to find the original guy who got the motor 15 years ago in PA but he didn't have much information on it. I've gotten word that the block was pretty beat up and could have been baked over the years. They had to machine the cam tunnel, bear cap area, and a few others things so its been through a lot.

9. 73RR

73RR

...basic questions here...but does the block have cross-bolt mains? and are there head bolt bosses inside the valley ?
    Like I said, basic questions, and like Big_John I am also curious about the '1' being used as a 'dash'.
    Yes, over-the-counter blocks did not have any ID codes stamped so it could be a replacement. Is that important to your project?

10. The may date would have been when the engine was assembled. The second date would have been when the serial number was assigned that doesn't happen until the car is built.