Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BRASS WORKS RADIATOR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought I would take a second and share my experience dealing with Lee at the Brass Works on my radiator purchase. I am building a speed 33 roadster with a 49 flathead and I was at the point I needed a radiator. I read several threads on the subject here and called a few different shops before deciding on the Brass Works. Lee impressed me from the start with his service and enthusiasm in my project. I gave him the measurements and a crude drawing of the fan shroud I wanted and he took over. I am running a 471 blower and needed an electric fan...I know, I know. Lee didn't just produce a radiator he created a work of art that I had to share. Lee recommended his thickest core to help keep the motor cool. They handled all of the polishing of the brass as well. The water ports were all made to my dimensions and spacing to make install simple. The German silver and brass fan shroud is off the hook and he has a license to use that ford stamping in his shrouds. Yeah, the rivets are hand bucked and polished. Oh, and I got my alliance discount too.
    Radiator3.jpg
    Radiator1.jpg

Attached Files:

bct and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. 69fury

69fury

Really nice work. The only problem I see is that the top of the radiator looks like it doesn't need to be there since the shroud is so close-how much work does the top of the rad do? It's quite possible I'm completely wrong and the fan does pull a lot of air through the top- I'm just saying that's the first thing that goes through my mind when I see shrouds like that. She's a beaut, though. Please let us know how well it works. -rick

X38 likes this.
  3. What is a speed 33 roadster? HRP

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I am on my second radiator from the Brassworks, they built the one for my 27 over 25 years ago, and they made me a new one for it just a month or so ago. I also dealt with Lee, and all of our communications and dealings were top notch. They also got it done when they said they would.

No other company would build me a radiator for this car because it is chopped 8.5 inches. Neither Walker or PRC would touch it because they said it would never cool my Ford engine. The ones I got from the BW keep the car at 170 all day long and the first one held up well for all of those 25 years.

They ain't cheap, but they sure are good. Yours looks spectacular in that polished brass.

Don

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

6. At even 40 mph I can't imagine much would be flowing through there...and you don't want the fan on all the time. Mmm...they are a radiator shop.:confused:

7. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

you had me until the electric fan..and i have a brassworks rad in my A..they do nice work...

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Always has to be some hater who chimes in about electric fans or something like that. :rolleyes: He wasn't asking for a critique, just wanted to tell us of a good vendor experience for a change. If some of us (me included) want to run something that you don't like, why even mention it ? Until we start getting a check from someone else, they really have little say about what we do on our cars.

Don

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some guys think it gives them trad cred, as if such a thing exists.

captaintaytay likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP, think Dearborn Deuce and update it a year, steel body made in Detroit. Speed 33 is Mark Trostle's newest endeavor, http://www.americanspeedcompany.com

Sawbuck, I get it and I fought the idea of the electric fan but could not come up with anything else that would work for my application.

I appreciate the comments and the likes, I will let you know someday soon how well it works. I have a lot of fabrication left to do before then.

11. I got tired of repairing the brand "W" radiator that was in my RPU when I bought it. Last summer I had Lee build me a radiator to replace it. Fit, finish and service were excellent. Excellent product.

12. 5window

5window

It is a pleasure to read a thread like this. Good to know there is a company that listens to and communicates with the customer, builds a quality product and delivers it on time. What kind of example is that? :)

13. A street rod body. Not a bad looking body from the pics I've seen though, if you're into that sort of thing.

Damn it I got caught up and forgot to mention @Bandit Billy the rad looks rad man and I do like the idea of the blown flatty in the drop top.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Dean, that get's old real fast huh.
    I always have to laugh when I see a thread that says something like
    "has anybody had any experience with those aluminum radiators on ...bay".

15. I cannot agree more. ^^^ It took me a long time to learn that cutting corners is never a good idea on a car or a bike. there are some tricks that one can learn over time but they never involve buying the cheapest pieces that are available.

Like I said earlier that is one beautiful radiator, I haven't run one but what I can see of it looks top notch.

16. A grand is a lot of money to spend on a piece for your hot rod. But, for something as important as a reliable radiator, engineered for your application, it's really not out of reason. When you spend 7 grand on a blown motor, a radiator that protects it, is worth the money.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cheap radiators are a good way to really #@$& up a vacation or long hot rod adventure.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every time I cut a corner to save a buck, it costs me ten. Learned too many times the hard way. Not to say that expensive is best, far from it. But cheap is often crap.

Mr. Beaner, it may be a street rod body sir, but I think you are going to like the way it turns out.

19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Lee @ BrassWorks also filled my need's with a Nice well built Radiator

20. I am already liking what I know about it. Nothing wrong with a body that has been tweeked a little bit we do it all the time, you just managed to get one that already had it done. ;)

I am going to want to meet the blown flatty, no one builds a street rod that way. :cool:

21. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

read my post i have a brassworks and like it,and stated it ...not a fan of electric thats all.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Beaner, I make the introductions soon. I had to have some minor surgery on my hand, once the bandages come off I can get back to work.

23. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I bought a Brass Works radiator for one of my 32's. It is gorgeous and I love it. Although not exact, it is the closest look to an original that you can get in a new radiator.

24. deucemac

deucemac

When I bought my radiator, I got lucky and was given the Cook's tour of the shop. I have been in the car/hot rod business all y life and have never seen a radiator shop with the quality and versatility that they have. The bucks to make a Mercedes SSK square tube vee'd radiator is a work of art. And that is not the least of it. I am lucky enough to be able to drive over there. If any of you ever are in his area, drop by for an amazing experience. Just don't drool on the floor, it looks tacky. And by the way, 4 years and lots of miles later, the Brassworks radiator is still keeping my hemi right on the 'stat at 180, ANYWHERE I go. Great work!