Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The New 5 window Deuce Project ; Chebby that is.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

50 Chevy pickup worked well in my 34 Master, as well. If you decide to go with a newer steering box, check out a 55 - 59 Chevy / GMC pickup box. One of these fit pretty well in my 34, too. In addition a 58 - 60 Impala steering wheel bolted right on to the pickup steering column.

volvobrynk and Lono like this.
  2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

3. These were taken the same day...I'll check but I don't think I've got "finished" photos. It's spectacular. Bobchaleks32coupeinterior.jpg bobchaleks32couperear.jpg

4. Lono

Lono

Interesting! What did you use for front springs? What did you use for spindles and brakes?

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

scan0011.jpg L. Caddy V8 1.jpg 4.jpg

I used the 50 pickup springs, because my 34 Master originally had the Knee Action independent front suspension. If it would have had 34 Chevy parallel leafs, I would have used them. Since a 50 pickup used Huck brakes, I am using 51 - 54 pickup spindles, and brakes. My rear brakes are 57 Chevy passenger car. The master cylinder will be either a 57 Chevy car or pickup.

Since you don't have Knee Action, your stock front springs should work fine. I did have a problem with the pickup springs. I couldn't mount them far enough forward to center the axel in the wheel opening, so the spring center bolt will have to be moved forward.

I used a set of 53 Chevy front hubs and drums to change over to a 5 lug bolt pattern.

The first pic shows the original Knee Action. The second is the pickup axel. The third is how it currently looks.

Here's a link to axels and measurements.
    http://www.droppedaxles.com/CHEVY_AXLES.html

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  6. Lono

Lono

What about your steerings components- Chev truck as well?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yes, 1957 Chevy pickup. The 57 - 59 Chevy / GMC steering column is slightly shorter than a 55 - 56 pickup. A pair of U-joints did have to be added to the column to get clearance with the headers, engine and master cylinder, though. This is with a 331 Caddy V8. Might have more room with a 265 / 283 Chevy.

The frame was notched for clearance, too. This, and the U-joints are slightly visible in the second photo....Just below the center and rear header tube.

8. Ford flathead 6 mang. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. I see im not the only one using late 50's chevy truck steering boxes
    but the 61 impala wheel looks better than the earlier one's :)

[​IMG]

Torkwrench likes this.
  10. Lono

Lono

Very pretty.
    So what did you use for spindles, brakes- steering linkage Etc. This is my first shot ( and last) at a wood body Chev, I really want to do it up right; old school and clean undersides. What the outside will look like, its hard to imagine yet. I cant see a chop anywhere in its future, I dig the looks now.

I will go 283 2 speed. I'm going to purchase one from a hot rod buddies widow; a way to keep him cruising with me in times to come. Here's Marty (left) and me a few years back.

Attached Files:

Finn Jensen likes this.
  11. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I used spindles off a 50 chevy pick up. Bent the steering arms down a bit, used dropped tierod ends. The drag link is from the pickup and was the correct length.

I used a disc brake kit from speedway.

Lono likes this.