Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mercury TopChop blues.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 12, 2015.

1. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Excellent work,think about making the fender skirts flush to smooth out the side profile ...

2. Thanks Frenz
    Thankyou.The plan is to extend the skirts downwards similar to what Sam Barris did and thats all.I kind a like the bubble look, gives an earlier look to it.

3. LKR

LKR
    from Australia

Very nice!

4. draider

draider
    from Texas

Fantastic craftsmanship, and that profile is breathtaking.

5. FortMoe

FortMoe

Beautiful work! It's one of the nicest Merc' profiles I've seen.

6. atomickustom

atomickustom

Looks fantastic so far. I'm glad you moved the rear window - it was really bothering me and the improvement is great.

7. cmarcus

cmarcus

Love this, absolutely beautiful!

8. Time for a small update again. Have welded, grinded and smoothed the roof and catwalk area. Started on driver side quarter window and have the corners done. The radius on the front corners are the same as the lower front corner on the door window opening. Gonna use this radius on all corners except for the rear of quarter window. First mock up I had the same radius there too but I didn´t liked how it looked. Thought the window looked too long and too pointy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

contesly, dlandberg, Squablow and 3 others like this.
  9. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

I was having a problem seeing what was wrong with the 1/4 window before but now by comparing both pictures I can see how much better it looks now. You have a good eye for detail and are willing to spend the time to make it right.

10. Here are driverside tacked up with all corners done.Still needs to be welded.When I make such Z-shaped corners I start with a steelstrip braked to an L. I then shape it with the stretcher tool to the right radius and then put it on a bit of plate which will become the inner flange.I weld the two parts together before I cut out the inner flange, by doing that the curved piece will maintain its radius without warping. When cooled down I grind the welds and then cut out the flange.There are surely other ways to do it in but this way works for me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jocktherock and 1952B3b23 like this.
  11. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I really enjoy this thread.Thanks much for the updates Kenneth.Greatly appreciated.It's getting better and better.

12. Beautiful work! And thank you for going the extra mile and really showing us step by step!

13. Thanks Tom.Hope it pushes you in the right direction;)

Much appriciated. Thanks

Got driverside done. Welded,grinded and sanded.
    [​IMG]

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

15. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

good eye on the window radius's, everything looks proportionate. very nice.

16. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Looking real good!

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You're not only a talented metal worker but also have a great eye. Shape and flow are perfect.
    Thanks for sharing detailed photos of the process.

18. I´m not even sure what you did to make this particular chop look so damn good. It flows beautifully.

19. 2Loose

2Loose

Have thoroughly enjoyed watching this. Thanks for posting. Been keeping my eyes out for a Merc I could do something like this to for years, found two near my home here on Maui, but they were sitting out in the open near the beach, and were so rotten from the salt air that they were barely there, so I had to pass on them. Maybe some day.
    Willy

20. cretin

cretin

That chop looks fantastic. Nice work.
    What kind of dies did you use in the Pullmax to shape the roof sections?

21. 55willys

55willys

Thanks for posting the pictures, nice flow

22. Thanks a lot

I don´t have any clue my self:).Thanks for the nice feedback

For the first version I used a set of doming dies to shape the panels but for the second version I rolled the panels in an english wheel.
    P1010410_1600x1200.JPG

Thank you

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  23. Well, keeps struggling with this and have outside done now. Next is to get the inside puzzled together.Did the package tray first.When cutting it out for the chop I wasn´t all sure of how it would fit when putting it back and in worst case I thought I would have to make a new peice but when holding the cut out part up in place it wasn´t too far from fitting.Needed to be straightened a little so I stretched the cut side untill it got the wanted shape and then lowered it about 1/2″. The part that connects the tray and window frame needed to be fabricated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Olson

Olson

That looks fantastic. One thing I think sets a well-chopped Merc apart from the others is retaining the character line beneath the rear window - when done gracefully it brings the car to another level that in my humble opinion can't be achieved with a full-flow tulip panel. You have just a hint of it there, and it flows perfectly. Very well done.

25. CadMad

CadMad

One of the most important lessons that I learned from Kenneth was that part of the custom process is doing it, and then standing back and looking at it from all angles. Sometimes you can get it spot on first try. But if your eye tells otherwise then there is no shame to redo it. In fact it is probably the most important step to "get it right". That focus to do whatever it takes to get it right is what sets Kenneth's work at the highest level.
    [perhaps it is also fair to add that Rik is possibly not too far away saying "can you add 15mm" here or there?)
    Someone is getting a very special car.

26. oj

oj

Very nice work. One thing I would do is prime the front portion of the roof to match the color or the rear portion, that will help the visuals. I appreciate your dedication to getting the flow right but that block of black paint pulls the eye.

27. Thanks a lot Olson. Much appriciated

Quentin.For me that´s a big part of the build. Pop a beer sit down and watch the flow from every angle. Don´t rush, instead let things sink in and even take a second and maybe a third look. There´s too much time and money spent when building a car to not do my very best.And I hope Rik don´t says it need another 15mm somewhere:D
    Thanks Oj. Too early for primer yet . Still needs some leading on the pillars.In that case it would be better to sand down the black and have the whole roof bare metall.I see your point.

28. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Looking good!

29. Thanks Tracy

Here´s a small Saturday update. Worked on the right hand rear corner of quarterwindow today. Put the bracing that lays on top of the rear window opening together aswell.I like to make things to look like original as it did before the chop.The bracing that runs on top of the rear window opening needs to be lengthened a bit so it can be connected with the inner structure that runs on top of quarterwindows.

This is how it looks before.

[​IMG]

Heres the cutout part of the top bracing.Lengthened it about 30mm.

[​IMG]
    Made a new inner corner too and lenthened it so the brace that goes between window and packege tray could be connected.

[​IMG]

Installed.

[​IMG]

30. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Great attention to detail.You are my kind of guy :)