Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeyesmen, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It sounds like the car came from and is titled in the US and as long as it goes back here he won't have to pay the tariff. To sell it in Europe, he might have to pay the tariff and register it first. He won't have to pay any shipping. It will be included in the COD. The shipping company will do that as long as the value of the item being shipped is higher than the shipping charges.

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

It around 2800 bucks to ship a car in a container from boston to amsterdam. that 5600 for you to inspect the car. I don't think this smells right. Ihave a friend who is currently in Europe and will be spending some time with friends in the Netherlands. I am going to send him an email linking to this tread. Perhaps he might be able to assist you in determining if this is fish or fowl.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. raidmagic

raidmagic

He offered up a phone conversation, call him.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This ^^^^ , followed up by getting on the plane.

If he is true about paying for the shipping, you can offset it by buying a plane ticket.
    If it turns out to be bullshit, you get to do a bit of sightseeing Amsterdam .

On a side note, my friend is Dutch. He said that non-PC cars are considered anti-social by the highly PC Dutch people.
    It would be easier to register a "Scud Missile" than some of the H.A.M.B friendly cars you see here.
    On the plus side......they would probably lynch somebody with a Rat-Rod :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Where does that table come from? Not Holland because they don't publish registration documents in English, not the UK DVLA because they don't work in Euros.

For the record, $15,000 is about £9500. The car he claims to have would sell very quickly in the UK for that amount - registered or not and it would cost under $500 for me in the North West of England to go and pick it up on a trailer.

Do not get sucked into this. Your big clue is that it is not on the UK NSRA website. If he wanted to sell quickly and easily that's where he'd advertise it.

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'm sure the owner thinks that the car will be purchased as he believes it's a good deal on a good car so he's not worried about having to ship it back and doesn't intend to ship it back no matter what. He'll find someone else to sell it to. A lot more chance to sell it in the US than Holland. If the deal goes on as planned, the only worry is if it was stolen. The title can be checked prior to delivery. If it is titled in the US, the previous owner can be contacted. There is really no risk in this. If it's coming in a container, you will need a dock to get it out. If the deal changes at some point, he has nothing but time invested.

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

It would be cheaper for him to send you a round trip ticket to Europe than to ship a car back and forth for you to look at it. Something's rotten in Denmark and maybe the Netherlands too!).

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. The car described would go for three times the asking price in the UK. It's more valuable here and in Switzerland or Germany that the USA. None of these countries would have any problem registering the car. Why isn't he selling it here when it takes only 40 mins and a couple of hundred bucks to get it to the UK?

9. I guess the answer is that a UK or German buyer could go and see the car easily. At some point the seller will be asking for money up front. The phone call will be used to suck the "buyer" in...

slack likes this.
  10. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

LEAVE IT ALONE! Seriously, this smells rotten.
    When I'm not talking hot rods here, my "other life" is as an admin. on a social networking site for what you guys might call "conspiracy nutters".
    I am a very cautious and skeptical person, and I do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions In a nutshell, my "job" in the world of conspiracies is "Bullshit Detector". I can smell it through my wifi connection.
    This is a total scam, it's even worded like one of those crappy "send no money now! No risk! What have you got to lose?" type ads. It practically screams "C'mon man! Take the bait fer chrissake!!"

Said my piece now for what it's worth.

11. roundvalley

roundvalley

Tell him to join the HAMB and see what happens!

lothiandon1940 and mike bowling like this.
  12. I believe the answer lies in the fact that the guy stated that the car is still registered in the USA. Get that info and check if it's a stolen car.

13. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Where are you guys getting the $15K figure? The OP posted the email from the seller saying registration would cost $15K. I didn't see where the asking price of the car was ever posted.

14. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I say do it. it's a no-brainer. just don't give up any cash till you see the car.

15. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Could be it`s a straight up deal, could be a scam. Seems a little too good to be true to me.
    You (OP) sound like you have doubts about the deal already. I was told years ago........When in doubt, don`t !

16. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

This website: http://www.belastingdienst.nl

17. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Let Kim ship it, don't pay a dime till you inspect it and verify its legit .....if he try's to sweet talk some upfront cash, walk away........COULD BE A SWEET DEAL......MAYBE A SCAM..... the devil hates a coward!

18. Budget36

Budget36

To the op...have them ship me the car, I'll sort it out for ya!

Let's see...

Car at my drive way ( I didn't spend a dime)

In my DW for 2 days (still haven't spent a dime)

Have title that matches the frame s/n.....

ya, sounds like a scam to me....

19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If you have to ask "is this a scam?" it probably is. Proceed carefully, if you must, but keep a close eye on your wallet.

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The website is one for English speaking people moving to Holland. http://netherlands.angloinfo.com/transport/vehicle-ownership/car-registration/ Check the Home page

Did anyone read the original post? I don't know where you people are getting the price of the vehicle as $15K. That is what it would cost for the current owner to register it in Holland. The only mention of the price of the vehicle is the owner saying the price is low because he needs to sell it. As for you going to pick it up, will customs let it out of the country without paying the tariff? If it goes back to the States the tariff might not have to be paid.

I don't know what the asking price is, but, for example; If somebody in the UK would pay $30k for the car and the owner has to pay $15k import tariff, he only gets $15k for the car. If he sends it back to the US and sells it for $25K and pays $3K shipping, he ends up with $22K for the car. That might well be the reason he is trying to sell it in the US.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Post some pictures of the car that he sent you see if anyone recognizes them on here. I think it sounds fishy too me. But I would see where he goes with it.

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm trying to imagine how this could be a scam other than him changing the deal or asking for info that could be used to scam you in some way. Volvobrynk on here is from the Netherlands, he would be one that could possibly help check it out for you. I would ask for his phone number and call him rather than giving him your number.

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

Let "3WLarry" broker the deal- if the guy's on the up and up, Cool Beans; if it's a swindle, Short rope- Tall tree, end of story!
    ( I still don't know WTF cool beans means , but it sounds good)
    As posted before- it would be cheaper for him to fly YOU back and forth to see the car than to ship the CAR back and forth. He's either rich and crazy, or thinks all Americans are!

24. Have him send you a copy of the US title or registration and run a search through that states DMV.

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

no thanks...sounds like a scam

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say go along with the deal until the time that the actual scam starts. right now is just the set up phase.
    he can't do much with an email address and your address, so you have nothing to lose.

there is no way in hell this is even remotely real.

27. 19353W

19353W

Hi
    Thats a scam....!!!!
    I live in Finland. When i took my 3w from US, I had to pay 24% of the cars price in taxes.
    The car came via Holland (Rotterdam), and they moved the container from one ship to Another.
    If I would have been smart then, i could have payed taxes for the Car in Rotterdam (6%) and easely saved 18% taxes.
    So 15k to get the car registered in Holland, NO WAY. its the cheapest of all EU countries.
    (sorry for poor English)
    Peter

28. Donkey

Donkey

Scam ! $15000 to register a car, what a joke, the emmision regulations as stated above are for new cars !

29. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Me, I'd string him along with a chat on the phone and see what he says.
    Use your cell number

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.