Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeyesmen, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I am trying to buy a car from overseas (the Netherlands) and the guy sent me this email -- not sure what to make of it. Sounds somewhat risk free, but interested to know the opinion of some of you wily old HAMBers?

This is from an email he sent me last night:

I was thinking of a solution, how we can make the deal, given the present situation and the best mode how we can make the deal will be COD. CASH ON DELIVERY will be a convenient and an accessible solution for us. I will send the car to your home address COD ( CASH ON DELIVERY ) with the possibility of inspection. As you probably noticed, the price is rather low, and the reason I'm selling the car at this price is because I have to pay over 15,000 US$ for registration here in Holland (Netherlands). The car is here in my garage in Holland. At this moment, I can drive the car here because the insurance is still available , but when the insurance will expire, I can't drive it anymore here, and will be necessary to register it here. I can't spend over 15,000 US$ for registration and I think that the best solution is to sell it. The car is still registered in US with a clean title. In this case you will not pay other taxes to import the car. Now, I can't come to USA to sell the car because I'll spend money and lose more time, my only chance to sell this car will be to find a buyer in US or another country. I can send the car to your home address and the transport will take approximately 2 weeks. After you will receive the car, you will have another two days to inspect it. After the inspection period ends, the transport company will ask you if there are any issues with the car. If the car it's different than as I described, or you don't like it, you can refuse the transaction, and the car will be sent back to my address , on my expense. If everything it's ok and I'm sure it will be, you will be able to transfer your name in the title to your local DMV. I think, that this is the best mode, for you and for me , how we can make the deal , because in this mode , you have the opportunity , to see the car and verify the car BEFORE I receive my money for it... So that’s it ! This car needs a new owner. This is an incredibly enjoyable car to drive ... little sad as I write this... knowing it is leaving. I’ve enjoyed the privilege of ownership.

PLEASE SEND ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE CAR.
    Thanks and I am waiting for your reply!

What do you guys think? Please weigh-in with your opinion. It looks like a nice car at a bargain price -- seems almost too good to be true. Which means it usually is.

Thanks, Joe

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Sounds bogus to me. JMHO

3. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

What car is in the Netherlands that can't be found here?

belair likes this.
  4. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Is he also a Nigerian prince? How do you know (for sure) he even owns a car, let alone this one?

5. wdglide

wdglide

At some point he will ask for money before you see it. Ask for a unique video, i.e., with today's paper, showing him talking to you with car in background, etc. Video rather than photo - harder to photochop.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like the classic Craigslist scam. I'd stay away.....

7. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

It's a Henry steel 32 five window.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

We have some guys on here from the Netherlands, maybe they can confirm or deny the $15,000 registration cost which, to me, is a big question mark.

clem and volvobrynk like this.
  9. WOW ! I wish that someone would ship cars to Alaska for me to inspect before buying. That would be to convienient.
    Vic

10. yeah,like he cant re-register it as hes has no money,BUT he has money for a transport to and from ?

bobkatrods likes this.
  11. The reason for selling is made up. No problem with registering a genuine 32 five window in Holland and it doesn't cost $15,000. The story is utter bollocks.

flynbrian48 and turboroadster like this.
  12. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Walk away, total scam. Why wouldn't this dude be able to sell the car in Holland? And why can't you find the same car here in the USA? Why would anyone send a car across the Atlantic for a total stranger to look at it? Would you do that? The guy doesn't want to pay registration in his home country but will pay to ship the car to another continent? Would you do that? Run away or keep him on the hook and mess with the dude, he's OBVIOUSLY A SCAMMER.

13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Pleanty of buyers on that side of the pond that would pay 15k US for a 32 ford in pieces... Would not have trouble selling that car in Europe for that price at all...

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida

Run Forest Run..scam

15. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

This is not in pieces, it's a finished rod. I've requested some specific pics and the VIN.

But if he wants to ship it to Wisconsin for free so I can inspect it, and I am not on the hook for any $ . . . no problem right?

16. How is this a scam ?

The Seller is asking for no money down - is allowing inspection to occur before payment is made - asking to talk to the OP on the phone ....

Have the car shipped to a secure location other than your home where it can be inspected by a mechanic.

As long as you are not being asked to pay the hauler or anyone else until the inspection is done & the car is currently titled in the U.S. - there does not seem to be a risk ..

The only thing would be if the car was being used to smuggle cash or contraband - you would be involved ...

Jim

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  17. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Check this out, maybe it does cost that much for a hot rod with a ZZ4 motor and 4 carbs.

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 1.25.46 PM.png

20. It's kind of weird, and it doesn't smell too fishy right now.
    Somewhere along the line I bet it changes.

Ask yourself, would you do the same?

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'm sure they put it on a dyno and test it for CO2 per mile. $15,000 is 13,264 Euros and the base for over 180 gram/km is e12,539 and e434/gram over that. 182 grams/km would get it there.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. stimpy

stimpy

till you sign for it once a BOL is signed the transaction is basically complete . never sign a open Bill of lading . and most transport companies will not release a car till the BOL is signed . as its there property till its signed .

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Exactly .... Guys come here from austrailia England , New Zealand , and pay way more than that all the time... How far is holland from England ? A lot closer than the US ...

I think approximate cost of shipping a car overseas right now is about 3-5k.... If it makes no sense.... and is too good to be true... It is... It's probably not a money scam .... it will be harvesting your info he gets .... When " he needs you to check the car out, or his shipping company"

You guys really this gullible ??.... Seriously?...

Pleanty of buyers in Europe for a 15k 32 ford

Just give him your bank account numbers and social security and passwords ...and have someone kick you in the balls...right now..... Just to save a little time on this deal

49ratfink likes this.
  24. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I'm not giving anyone my bank account numbers and social security # -- if this is a deal I could do in cash and pay the transport company. Could even have it shipped to my business address instead of home. I think what Robyyo said is right -- keep him on the hook and mess with him a little. See if he trips up on anything. If not, and at some point he wants to ship the car to me, and I don't have to give him any info other than address and phone number . . . where is my risk?

25. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

What if the guy was transferred to the Netherlands and took his car with him and found out about the Bpm tariff once he got it there? Maybe his employer paid the shipping and will pay to ship it back. Shipping to Wisconsin might not be too expensive as the containers might be able to come in via the Great Lakes. Many containers are shipped COD with inspection privileges. We ship containers of scrap metal to China all the time.

Looks like a Dutch company ships containers to Cleveland.
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/11/port_of_cleveland_seals_a_deal.html

27. Where did you see the car for sale? Also, keep repeating "if it's too good to be true. it probably is too good to be true". Lastly, let us know how it works out. After reading everything and thinking about it, I'd walk away. As much as I want a 3 winder, I'd walk away from that deal and wait. Tim

clem likes this.
  28. This is what sounds the most suspicious to me. He'll ship it to you at his expense with no obligation to buy. If you pass on the deal, he's willing to also pay for the return shipping. That sounds more than a little bit flakey to me. At some point he's probably going to want some money up front to help defray his shipping expenses.

Big Plan Dan likes this.
  29. He's going to change the deal at some point. He'll ask for a "small"payment for something or other to expedite the deal. WHY would anybody pay to ship to the US at their own expense with no guarantee of anything? THAT makes zero sense> And then pay to have it shipped back? Seems like this would approach the 15k figure .
    A fool and his money are soon parted! I'D PASS ON THIS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.