Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Royboy Goes To The 2015 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travisfromkansas, Sep 15, 2015.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Still working on catching up on my blog. This coverage was all made possible by Speedway Motors advertising on my site for the week that after the Meltdown Drags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a couple of years I’ve seeing and hearing photos of this near mythical drag event near Chicago called the Meltdown Drags. So in my quest to hit a bunch of new events in 2015, the plans were made to head to Illinois to find this mythical event. 2015 marked the 6th annual Meltdown Drags held at Byron Dragway outside of Byron, IL just southwest of Rockford.

That’s about 650 miles one way from my place, what the heck, I wanted to go for it. When I got to the track on Saturday morning just looking through the fence at the cars in the pits it was all worth it. This was the greatest collection of vintage drag vehicles that I’d ever seen and I wasn’t even in the gate yet.

After getting in and getting my press pass I caught up with some familiar faces, my friends from Gears and Gals Magazine, John Wells from Vintage Torque Fest, Matt from Gear Drive Headers, just to name a few. All of the cool kids were there. Not long after getting in the facility I got a clue to the name “Meltdown Drags” although admittedly I didn’t get it until later in the day. Looking down the track in the top image you can see the top of the cooling tower of the nearby nuclear facility. More commentary tomorrow, enjoy the photos…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come, see you at a show,
    Royboy

2. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Royboy

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

amazing how calm everyone stayed despite tornado

[​IMG]

4. rascal55

rascal55

Thank you !! It is only better in person!!

travisfromkansas likes this.

5. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

it only took me an hour or two to figure out why they called the event "Meltdown Drags" I'm slow.

6. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Royboy

7. LTM75110

LTM75110

Thanks for posting,Great coverage..

8. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

The Cooling Tower in the background is interesting ! ! !

VR&C.

9. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Ive always wanted to go. Nice images

10. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2015 Meltdown Drags action started shortly after I arrived. I made my way to the starting line of the Byron Dragway. The air was heavy, the clouds were thick, but the reports were that the Friday temps were much worse than Saturday’s. It didn’t take long for the lanes to fill up and the cars just kept coming and coming until I finally had to take a break.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Royboy

12. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Royboy

13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic pictures. Thanks so much for posting them.

14. rooman

rooman

Great photos mate! It was my first time there too and I was very impressed as it is probably the best drag event that I have been too in years. Love the shots of my mate Buck in the Rock n Roll Express digger.

Roo

15. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Nicely done Travis! It looks like you had a perfect day weather wise to get great shots.

16. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As we work through the huge amount of photos from the 2015 Meltdown Drags you’ll see more awesome wheels up drag racing action, a look through the pits and some of the car show on site. The car show basically is a preferred spectator parking area, drive a pre-72 car as a spectator and park in the show car area, great idea!

Drag cars sometimes have some great names, some of my favorites are in this post, what’s your favorite one?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Royboy

17. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Royboy

18. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

more to come, see you at a show,
    Royboy

19. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Fantastic pics Travis, well worth the wait as usual.

20. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In part 4 of the 2015 Meltdown Drags coverage we continue with the car show coverage. There was a great selection of cars in the car show parking, the only problem with checking them out was I was missing some racing action! So I had to wait until someone had a mishap on the track to rush over to the car show and capture some images while missing the least amount of racing.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Royboy

21. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Royboy

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  22. Wow,...this is by far the best coverage I've seen and every photo is excellent.
    I was there all weekend but your photos are the next best thing to being there,...great job!

23. Saxxon

Saxxon

Great catch up... well done and thanks for the flattering shots. I always think pictures make my race cars look fat

24. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thank you! That means a lot to me. I always try to get better than your average event coverage. Hope it inspires some folks out there to go next year!

25. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

This is a trick question. I like your race car just the way it is...

26. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Wow, what an event. I love the cloud of reactor vapor in the background. Thanks for shooting the event. How drag racing should be. Great job Travis.

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Fantastic - Thanks

28. cs39ford

cs39ford

Thank you Great Photos You nailed it Just like being there! Even got my POS 56 Chevy!!! GREAT JOB

29. Frustration

Frustration
    from PA

LOVED these photos. I'm from the East Coast, but i feel like i need to go to Chi Town to see, smell, and hear this for myself! Thank you for posting.